Love Is Bright

• 23 Replies

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »
Hi Vicki

If only there was more of this in the world! I lovely folky song with a ending which as other have said, could well form a great chorus if you wanted it to.

James

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »
Beautifully done, yet again. Such sweet vocals. I totally picked up the prayer vibe as is, not a bad thing at all, yet I'm really interested to hear the lyric broken into the separate sections to frame your verses and make the melody stand out. The 3 line chorus with the slightly different ending suggestions would work a dream - and really send that message on home. Love is indeed our guide :) 
cxx
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 02:07:57 PM »
That's really lovely. I know that comment is kind of a platitude... But it really is - it stands out for its loveliness. I agree repeating the love is our guide phrase as a chorus another couple of times would work beautifully. And would make a lovely guide through the song as well  :D

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »
Sorry I missed this one, Vicki  :-[

Lyric contain a lovely sentiment...with sweet vocals and the acoustic guitar work is coming along really well too.

You continue to be an inspiration  :-*
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 07:09:16 PM »
Very nice Vicki.

I wonder if you went up to the A instead of the F#for the 'love is our guide' bit and follow it from there you'll have the right lift for the refrain/chorus ending bit.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 03:09:31 AM »
I know I'm slow with my thank you's...sorry.

You have a lovely sweet old fashioned voice and you cannot help but be enthralled by the sweetness of the song delivery.
Thank you! I like old fashioned. And sweet. I don't think of my voice as sweet but I suppose it sounds different from inside my head than it does outside it. ;D

Hi Vicki - I also heard "Love is our guide through the darkness" as a chorus, the melody is lovely and it flows so well. For the rest I think you did a great job given the constraints, and perhaps a freer version would be worth doing too.
Thanks, Adam! Yes, now that I have all this great feedback on the melody as is, I do want to use the words and make a separate song with verses and choruses and all that.

Cool making music with constraints. I should try that sometimes :)
That aside, I think this works well enough. If I had walked past you in Greenwich Village when it all happened I would have stopped and listened for a while :)
Thank you! I wish I could have gone to Greenwich Village in "the day". I would have loved busking around and meeting and working with other musicians back then. Although, knowing myself at that time, what I was like, it would probably have been a disaster. Not musically, but--how do I say it--I think I would have gone all wild and maybe wrecked my life.

Hey Vicki, lovely campfire vibe and extremely well sung. Personally I liked the lack of a verse/chorus structure here... it somehow made it seem almost like a religious chant or a prayer to me. A nice positive song to counterbalance all the 'dark song comp' entries.
Thanks, Pauly. That is pretty much exactly what I was going for. I do have a dark song, too, though, you know. I just need to get it into "Finished Songs".

If only there was more of this in the world! I lovely folky song with a ending which as other have said, could well form a great chorus if you wanted it to.
Thank you, James! I'm going to keep working on this and hope to make it a verse-chorus structure. If I kept these words to this tune, I would have two songs with the same melody, so I need to develop this a little differently, now that I have it, so I can actually count it as two songs.

Beautifully done, yet again. Such sweet vocals. I totally picked up the prayer vibe as is, not a bad thing at all, yet I'm really interested to hear the lyric broken into the separate sections to frame your verses and make the melody stand out. The 3 line chorus with the slightly different ending suggestions would work a dream - and really send that message on home. Love is indeed our guide :)
Thanks so much, Caz! The beauty of it being able to work as is OR as a song with verses and choruses is that I have two sets of words and it would be good to have the two songs be somewhat different. So working on developing the song form is next.

That's really lovely. I know that comment is kind of a platitude... But it really is - it stands out for its loveliness. I agree repeating the love is our guide phrase as a chorus another couple of times would work beautifully. And would make a lovely guide through the song as well  :D
Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the positive feedback muchly!

Sorry I missed this one, Vicki  :-[

Lyric contain a lovely sentiment...with sweet vocals and the acoustic guitar work is coming along really well too.

You continue to be an inspiration  :-*
Thank you, Paul. Thanks especially for remarking on the guitar. My practice is so hit and miss with all my traveling these days that I wonder if I'm making any progress at all, so that's good to hear. I'm always with myself so I don't detect the improvement.

Very nice Vicki.

I wonder if you went up to the A instead of the F#for the 'love is our guide' bit and follow it from there you'll have the right lift for the refrain/chorus ending bit.
Thanks, Ian. I think that was one of the ways I tried it and not sure why I didn't stick with it. It does seem like it would give it more of a needed lift.

Whew! Thanks again for all the wonderful feedback. You people are all so NICE! I really am fine with ruthless feedback, so I hope you're not sugar-coating your remarks. I like to have problems to work on.  ;D

Thank you all for listening!

Vicki

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »
Hi Vicki,

Yes, it isn't a traditional structure, but it doesn't need to be & is lovely as it is. I enjoy the melody very much & u sing it wonderfully. The repetition at the end works very well to me.

Well done mate! :D

Leo :)

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 05:29:04 PM »
Ooof! Great song!
I can't place who the voice reminds me of.... it's on the tip of my tongue!
I'm living in Ireland myself, and this is very similar to the sort of voices you frequently hear in bars and pubs around here. I think maybe thats why I took a shine to this. It's very warming and familiar to me.
Warm.... I think thats my one word summary of this sweet little number.

Great work :D
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »
Lovely song Vicki. I am always struck by your vocal and melodies. You have a beautiful voice that match this style so well. And always strong lyrically. Thanks for sharing this one :)

Darren