konalavadome

Love Is Bright

• 23 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:42:29 PM »
Okay, I know the recording is rough but, you know me, that's the only kind of recording I do, right?? So, feedback on the production probably won't help me much, but you can always try....

Your opinion on how the lyric and the melody fit each other would be most helpful. Especially the ending with the repeated line--does that work as is, or should the melody lines be more alike? Or more different?

Thanks to anyone who listens!

https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/love-is-bright

LOVE IS BRIGHT

Love is bright in the air
Inhale the perfume of its essence
And discover its great purpose
It can bind us together
And make us as one
Oh-oh, sisters and brothers,
We sing in harmony
Voices blended in unity.
Oh-oh-oh love.
We will never be lonely
We will be warmed by the heat of compassion
Our hearts enkindled with love.
Love is our guide through the darkness
Love is our guide through the darkness of the world.

Copyright 2017 Vicki Morrison
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:09:32 PM by CaliaMoko »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:05:41 PM »
Ya forgot the link Vicki.  :D

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:08:53 PM »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 10:00:45 PM »
Seems to me that the Love is our guide to the darkness bit would make a good chorus and you should arrange the song into a verse chorus thingy...or is it specifically meant to be as is?
in which case the repetition at the end works fine.. :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »
You have such a gift with melody Vicki that always makes me have a warm glow. This is lovely and I'm just going to listen again  :)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »
Hi Vicki thanks for giving us this song. In my opinion your most accessible to date. It's  soulful and uplifting. Sometimes simple, unpretentious song writing really delivers and it certainly does here. A note on the production. To my ears (admittedly amateur) it's perfect. Did you record it live? If so, id love to know your recording set up. The balance is spot on. Cheers Micky

exfairy

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
This works really nice. I think you could maybe separate the lyrics into sections and vary the melody for each section. So for example one section it's high then the next low, just to make the melody a little more memorable. Also picking up the tempo a little wouldn't hurt either. Still a lovely song and well suited to your voice :)

Oldbutyet

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:24:23 PM »
Really nice Vicki, just a suggestion on the last three lines.

Love is our guide through the sadness
Love is our guide through the madness of our world.

You need at lease another four lines and then back into the last part including those three lines, i think a organ and choir coming in on certain parts would be the icing on the cake as they say, but really nice as is.

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »
Lady, was you a  flower child? This is a sorta  flower power type anthem like All You Need Is Love but with better lyrics. I can hear the massed hippie voices as you march on the Pentagon.
The chord changes sounded a bit behind the melody at times, but it all works nice with a simple and folksy charm.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
I think the lyrics and melody are perfect together. No issues whatsoever to my ears. It feeld like it's from another time. It would make a beautiful lullaby. Very soothing.

Lynn

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »
Thanks for all the listens and remarks. I appreciate it a lot!

@Kevin: I am restricted to this melody for the moment; however, in the future I could develop the music with these lyrics and make it more of a verse/chorus thingy. :) I think I might like to do that eventually.

@John: You say such nice things! Thank you!

@mickeyplankton: What I said to John. :) I did not record a live performance. I recorded the guitar track using an acoustic guitar through my condenser mic. Then I listened with headphones and recorded the vocals through the same mic. I adjusted the volumes a bit so I could hear both well through the headphones when I played it back. I left both centered, since that's how it would be if I sang and played together.

@exfairy: I like your suggestions and will take a look at the melody line and the tempo. I know I'm not totally happy with the melody all the way through, and I'm still experimenting. Sometimes just having someone say things like "higher" and "lower" can be helpful.

@oldbutyet: After reading comments from you and the others, I'm pretty sure I'll be reworking this song, probably making it more conventional. I do like your ideas for the last three lines and I do think they would make a good chorus. If I end up with a full-size song, I may have it produced so things like organs and choirs can possibly be added.

@Silver Machine: I wanted to be a flower child. I was maybe just a tad too young at the time. Still in high school, though I could probably have gotten in on the tail-end of it when I was in college. Even though I was over 18 when Woodstock happened, I was still too much under my extremely conservative parents' thumbs even to imagine being able to go. Thank you for your very kind remarks!

@Lynn: Thank you for your very lovely and supportive comments!

To everyone: As I mentioned when I posted this on the Lyrics board, this melody was composed to suit the words of a prayer from my Bahá'í prayer book, so the length and stresses can't be changed. For the purposes of the prayer. However, since I've written new words (it didn't seem dignified to post the words of the prayer in a forum), I can go anywhere I want with this as a new song. So I'll be mulling over the various suggestions and comments and, ultimately, I will have two songs when I'm done. And they will be different from each other melodically, at least a little.

Thanks so much!

Vicki

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »
You have a lovely sweet old fashioned voice and you cannot help but be enthralled by the sweetness of the song delivery.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »
Hi Vicki - I also heard "Love is our guide through the darkness" as a chorus, the melody is lovely and it flows so well. For the rest I think you did a great job given the constraints, and perhaps a freer version would be worth doing too.

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »
Cool making music with constraints. I should try that sometimes :)
That aside, I think this works well enough. If I had walked past you in Greenwich Village when it all happened I would have stopped and listened for a while :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
Hey Vicki, lovely campfire vibe and extremely well sung. Personally I liked the lack of a verse/chorus structure here... it somehow made it seem almost like a religious chant or a prayer to me. A nice positive song to counterbalance all the 'dark song comp' entries.
It's all too beautiful.