The Russian Song

• 18 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
I thought some people may be interested in why I mixed it this way.

I'm one of the few people who heard this song with the vocals mixed "properly" and in the foreground. To my ears that mix didn't work, yes, everything was in its "right" place, but the song lacked something. The vocal didn't serve the song, despite the undoubted quality of Lynn's singing.

The song is about a man who murdered a woman and covered her up so well nobody knew she was there. My treatment of the vocals reflects the story. You have to work hard in places to find it. It is a whisper on the harsh winter winds blowing across the Russian steppes. Hardly there in places, clear in others, is it real or part of your imagination.

Thankfully Lynn liked the mix.

Keith

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
Brilliant lyrics and a very interesting feel.

I’ve been a little obsessed with all things Russian since I was a kid. I used to love an old Russian folk tune when I was learning to play and was struck by the mixture of beauty and darkness it seemed to have. I can hear it now. I think that sums up a lot of how I see Russia generally. This definitely echoes that feeling to me and so is guaranteed to be something I’d really like.

If I had be a pain in the arse about it...I’d only suggest that the beauty of it was pushed a little too far back to accommodate more of the darkness...but that’s an artistic decision and one you have to make for yourselves, i reckon.

A really great collaboration...well done, folks  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 03:43:52 PM »
Thanks Paulski. I hope you slept okay, with plenty of vivid dreams to make it exciting.

Dear Keith,

When I heard your mix I said "yes!!!" because you achieved everything I hoped for, and fixed everything that I felt was missing. I could hear him lift her body. I could feel the cold dark night. I could see her being overlooked. You are able to get to the heart of my writing. Your mixing is artful and atmospheric. Thank you so much for everything, especially your enthusiasm and willingness to explore and create with me.

Paul, I'm so glad you mentioned that about the Russian folk music. It was a big part of my early childhood. I'm glad I achieved the right tone. Thanks so much for the considerate input.

Lynn

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »
I thought some people may be interested in why I mixed it this way.

I'm one of the few people who heard this song with the vocals mixed "properly" and in the foreground. To my ears that mix didn't work, yes, everything was in its "right" place, but the song lacked something. The vocal didn't serve the song, despite the undoubted quality of Lynn's singing.

The song is about a man who murdered a woman and covered her up so well nobody knew she was there. My treatment of the vocals reflects the story. You have to work hard in places to find it. It is a whisper on the harsh winter winds blowing across the Russian steppes. Hardly there in places, clear in others, is it real or part of your imagination.

Thankfully Lynn liked the mix.

Keith

Hi Keith

Thanks for this. It is interesting. I'm very new to recording and mixing and was simply listening for the words in the song. I didn't appreciate that the point here was to create that atmosphere that it does so well. I would never have thought to make the choices you have, I'm still trying to find where the 'right' place is to start with. 

Thanks for this insight!

Darren
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:13:56 PM by Darren1664 »