The dying art of the great song intro - BBC News

• 4 Replies

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« on: October 04, 2017, 06:24:18 PM »
Hey all

Seen this article on BBC and thought it'd make an interesting discussion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41500692

What are your thoughts on intros?

I've never really considered how technology may shape how we structure our music.

When writing I sometimes like an 'intro' to allow the song to set a scene before the vocals come in.

Thanks

Darren

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »
It works either way for me. If the song demands an intro,it gets one. I'm a guitar fan,it's another opportunity to make guitar noises before all the other stuff comes in.  :D

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:56:31 AM »
Nice find! I think if people are planning to write commercially the 'don't bore us get to the chorus' mentality kicks in. After all, A & R are gonna spend 10 - 15 secs weighing up your submission and I'm not sure if that is entirely made up of an intro it'll impress them. In some cases the intro can be used to float a main hook or melody (even if only in 'nahs', 'heys' or 'ohs') as early as possible

I don't necessarily think an intro has to be any great length to work - the drum intro in Land Down Under is a perfect example (short, snappy but memorable and packs a punch). 

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
Intros are difficult for me to write. Two bars of G major or F# sure but to write/play something more creative that happens before the first verse lies in the future for me. In a commercial sense it's the most important part of the song. If you don't like the intro just wait 'til the whole band starts playing.

As a reference I listened to James Taylors 'Fire and Rain' the intro is about 15 seconds long. It sounds like part of the verse played two times. It feels like an invitation. I get familiar with the music and can focus on the vocals.