konalavadome

Ten

• 20 Replies

skogge

• Open Mic

Ten

« on: October 04, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
Hello good people and fellow songwriters. Long time no see (and almost no music made or listened to)...

I just finished a demo of my first new song in what feels like ages. It is called Ten.
It is about our unstable world and our place in it. Same subject as last time I guess. The future isn´t looking any brighter so I just keep digging into that subject.

Since I haven´t been very active on the forum I don´t expect much in terms of replying. Just want to spread the song a bit more...

https://soundcloud.com/skogge/ten

All the best to you all.

TEN

Counting down from ten
and then counting once again
maybe this time
we all start living
To open up your shirt
with a crossbow
to your heart
If not the end
it´s one wild feeling
Turn away
from this brave world
it is not as new
as they say
We´re the saints
and we´re the saviors
or we´re the means
to the end

Speaking out your mind
while they´re looking
for your kind
is it brave
and so courageous?
Getting away in time
while your friends
are left behind
Could you ever
be too zealous?
Turn away
from this brave world
it is not as new
as they say
We´re the saints
(are we the saints)
and we´re the saviors
(are we the saints)
or we´re the means
to an end

Now can you see me cry?
It´s a beautiful beautiful day
as you see me cry
Look over my shoulder that day
at the once blue sky
Please do it for me
Won´t you do it for me?

And if I ever taste the truth
I swear I´ll put it in your mouth
And if I ever hear an honest word
I´ll laugh at the surprise
and when I share it
oh that joke will surely
be on me and you
when I share it
oh that joke will surely
be on me and you

Counting back from ten…
Counting back from ten…
Counting back from ten…
Counting back from ten…
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:17:53 AM by skogge »

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:22:31 PM »
Ominous foreboding introduction. A fine voice, and not having heard anything from you before, it was a surprise, in that it contrasts well with the instrumental backing. I for one would like to read the lyrics, as unfortunately they get a bit lost in mix in places.

Love the synths and drum machine retro thing - good song, really enjoyed it overall.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 01:41:27 PM »
Woah, that was awesome. Totally loved it. I loved the layering of vocals. It feels big and important. I'd like to see the lyrics. It seems well thought out and well crafted, and beautifully sung. It's a keeper.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 02:18:06 PM »
Yo skogge

Quite a mix of musical influences here. At times I hear Jon Anderson of Yes and other times Donald Fagan of Steely Dan. It's a very good listen. A Kraftwerk and Dan mix...wow.  8)

I know it's just at the demo stage,but I noticed the vocals fall in and out of the mix throughout the song.
The part from 2.04 on,the vocals are lost in the mix.

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »
Wow... Thanks a lot. Really warms my heart  :)
About that mix... I think I have given up on the whole mixingbusiness. The more I try the worse it gets. And it kinds takes another forever (the first forever is writing, programming and arranging these damn songs..!  ;D )

Thanks again <3

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
Wow... Thanks a lot. Really warms my heart  :)
About that mix... I think I have given up on the whole mixingbusiness. The more I try the worse it gets. And it kinds takes another forever (the first forever is writing, programming and arranging these damn songs..!  ;D )

Thanks again <3

Don't give up man. Sometimes it just takes a set of fresh ears. I remember reading Van Morrison saying he never mixes his own material because he's too close to be objective.

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »
Oh no. Won´t give up songwriting, maybe just loosening the focus on trying to learn how to mix. I seem to fail miserably the more I try.  >:(

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 10:20:09 PM »
This was great Skogge.
Just now and again, one hears a piece of electronic music that doesn't feel synthetic at all but has a kind of earthy, authentic quality to it... I thought this was one of those.
Could hear all kinds of influences in here - Gary Numan, Krautrock, John Foxx, but also something quite original.
I don't think I'd change anything here as it has its own kind of dignity and nothing felt off or out of place.
Pauly
It's all too beautiful.

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »
This was great Skogge.
Just now and again, one hears a piece of electronic music that doesn't feel synthetic at all but has a kind of earthy, authentic quality to it... I thought this was one of those.
Could hear all kinds of influences in here - Gary Numan, Krautrock, John Foxx, but also something quite original.
I don't think I'd change anything here as it has its own kind of dignity and nothing felt off or out of place.
Pauly

Oh dear. Wow. Blushing... Thank you.

BTW. Updated original post with the lyrics :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:19:23 AM by skogge »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 11:19:20 AM »
Yeah...I really enjoyed this one too.

It’s great to hear something new from you as well...I may have mentioned this before but there’s a real confidence and authority about your music...even in the demo stage!

I enjoyed the lyrics too...nice work  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 05:12:16 PM »
Hi Skogge - Long time indeed. Great to hear from you again. Love the electro soundscape that you've achieved here. I can hear some John Anderson as well. Some lovely little synth bits going on all over the place. I really enjoyed this as a listen. Excellent stuff  :)

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »
Dude, bring back the 80's synths n stuff,

Great sound, and nice progression,

I think others said it and I dont like dissing other peeps's tracks but I got lost in the arrangements a bit.

But the sound, well thats sorted, vocal is nice and suits perfectly, some deeps basses in there too.

Great work.

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 06:32:24 PM »
It’s great to hear something new from you as well...I may have mentioned this before but there’s a real confidence and authority about your music...even in the demo stage!

Thanks! Feels great to be able to post something again.
Confidence huh? Must come from age. Musically I feel like I don´t have a clue, or anything of value to contribute. :D

Great sound, and nice progression, I think others said it and I dont like dissing other peeps's tracks but I got lost in the arrangements a bit.

No worries. I rather get an honest comment than a pleasant backrub.
I can only experience the song through my own ears so when you tell me you get lost in the arrangement it´s of great value for me.
I´ve heard the darn thing like 500 times so all it´s bifurcations and twidelidums are home turf for me.
But I don´t have to tell you... Musicproductioneer and fellow songwriter you are... :D
Me, I don´t really know what I am doing but I think I´ve got a hunch about what I want to do... :D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:43:10 PM by skogge »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 06:38:41 PM »
Wow, a feast! Lots of detail in the arrangements here. Really like the bass touches e.g. around 1'15". Some of those synths sounds like merry-go-rounds or hurdy-gurdys - amazing variety of sounds.

There's something really classic about it as if it's an album track from the seventies that I half remember. I'm really impressed by your risk-taking and confidence to throw in so many ideas.

The lyrics match the piece, lots of interest and emotion. Some beautiful lines ("if I ever taste the truth...").

Really creative stuff - and very listenable and I'd say well mixed (Yes, vocals need a little more volume when things get really loud! but that's getting really into the detail...)

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 07:58:11 PM »
Hi Skogge,

Quote"
I´ve heard the darn thing like 500 times so all it´s bifurcations and twidelidums are home turf for me.
But I don´t have to tell you... Musicproductioneer and fellow songwriter you are... Cheesy
Me, I don´t really know what I am doing but I think I´ve got a hunch about what I want to do... Cheesy
Unquote:

yeh for sure by the time I have finished a track I have prob been listening to it every night and day for about 2 months.

You did a nice job on the production, I hear ya.

Cheers
Andy