Should you own more than one acoustic guitar?

• 10 Replies

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« on: October 03, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »
Shoot.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
No.

Well, it depends. For me, I absolutely "need" several electrics, but that's my instrument, not the acoustic which is a songwriting workhorse/ideas means to an end.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
At the moment i have two, tanglewood and encore, tanglewood was bought new and encore was cheap (second hand) and depending on the flow i have recorded with both of them, im a happy man   8)

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 01:51:21 PM »
If you tour with acoustics then, yes.
Otherwise, just a 6-string and maybe a 12-string if you want to mix it up. Although I got rid of my 12-string because it was a pain in the ass to maintain and keep in tune. (Although those were pre-clip-on tuner days.)

EDIT:
As for me, I currently have a standard 6-string acoustic, and a resonator-style 6-string acoustic, just so I can mix it up a little bit both for recording and songwriting. It's nice to have more than one distinct voice to work with.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 03:18:13 PM »
Of course. It's a bit unprofessional doing a gig with just one. If you have a band who can cover you whilst you restring, having broken a string, it's not so bad. But if it's a solo gig it's a tad unprofessional expecting your audience to sit and wait whilst you restring. And what about a catastrophic failure - someone knocks the guitar off it's stand at half-time and snaps the head? What are you going to do for the second set?
West Country Country Boy

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 10:08:16 PM »
I own a Faith naked acoustic and a Freshman 500 series. Both great guitars. The Freshman is a bit special. It’s top of the range and a great fingerpicking guitar.  I suppose my guitars should last a lifetime but acoustic guitars are such beautiful instruments. I’m  bound yo fell in love with many more. Then there are beautiful classical guitars, of which I own 2.  I csn’t really get attached to electric guitars in the same way.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 10:56:16 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 10:45:33 PM »
I think the rule is you should own as many guitars as you can safely hide, dude.
If there's a lady around with an interest in your future, ie:  mother, girlfriend or wife, then one is the number you admit to.

You dont tell us your opinion?

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 01:59:46 AM »
Uhh, guys.... I have guitars, too. Big 6-string, little 6-string, 12-string, even a ukulele. And I never thought about it, but delboy is right. I'm going to have to get more! What if I'm playing somewhere and my big 6-string breaks in two??? :o Yikes!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 06:17:17 AM »
One that sounds amazing, and one that's super-easy to play, and... Unfortunately I've never manage to find them both in the same guitar...

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »
I have at last count, 3 acoustic guitars, an acoustic bass, and a couple of other acoustic stringed things.

So you can guess what camp Im in...

All in all, I have a standard yamaha 6-string, a nylon classical guitar and a 12 string acoustic.
Plus I dont think I have enough acoustic guitars....I'm saving up for a Martin....
I'd also love a bouzouki...

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 11:05:49 PM »
In short to your question, of course......its the law,

As you buy more and upgrade, never get rid of any old ones,

I do the same with surfboards, I need a bigger shed now