konalavadome

Using a DAW changes the way I write songs.

• 16 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: September 21, 2017, 11:19:35 AM »
Has anyone else noticed this?
I used to keep a notebook of lines and lyric ideas,so when musical ideas formed I went to the notebook to get the bare bones of words to the music.

The DAW makes it so easy to compose music that my notebook is now empty and the music is stacking up,also the way I write lyrics is now different. I have always been quite literal,now words are more off the wall and oblique.

It seems I currently write a complete backing track,then add melody and lyrics. It used to be the lyrical content was what fired my musical imagination,the DAW now does that job.
I've yet to work out if this is a good thing for the quality of songs,but it certainly enables the quantity!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 03:40:07 PM »
I have the melody goin on in my head with some stupid lyrics which enables me to create a backing track,
however!!
by the time I've created the backing track I've lost the tune I had so it ends up as a different song.. ??? ???

isn't the creative process wonderful ::)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
I almost treat the DAW as my notebook. It's so easy to get ideas down. When I think of an idea be it a riff / chord sequence / melody I can immediately get it recorded and come back to it later (Sometimes maybe weeks or months). I've only written a handful of songs lyrics first although I might have a theme, title or hook in mind. Generally the melody comes from the chord sequences or riff and the lyrics follow that. 

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 05:39:15 PM »
Interesting, I can't say I use the DAW for idea capture, that's done with pen and paper or on my mobile phone - notes or audio. I try to focus on the lyrics first so that makes sense.

What a DAW does is change is my ability to edit structure really easily: cutting, pasting and editing is dead easy now.

:)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »
Interesting how everyone's relationship with the DAW is different. Personally I'm with Neil. I write in a notebook and remember melodies/ chords in my brain. I almost never record anything that isn't 'finished' although occasionally I'll record a tune if Cathy says it's good while I'm unsure as I usually only remember the song ideas I really like.

But arranging is another thing. DAWs are amazing not only for the audio possibilities, but also the way they present you with a graphical overview of your song. It makes it so easy to see how your arrangement works or change it if it doesn't. A little drag & drop goes a long long way!
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 08:19:48 PM »
I think it´s normal when you first start out with a DAW. However, there will come a day when you just pick up a guitar, or pen and notepad and write from there again. I get a lot of ideas when I´m out walking the dog, a melody or lyric pops in my head, and I record it on the mobile (without trying to look insane in the street).

I find the DAW really useful to build a song from a riff or bassline...you get it down with a basic beat and can just build up the song from there. It´s great.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 09:04:11 PM »
Yeah I hear ya skub. Aside from their obvious benefits, DAW's can be devilish things.
They're great for recording a song, but you have to beat them back with a stick when you are creating one. Otherwise pauses, time signature changes, and I guess what's called "organics" are lost IMHO.
When I first started using one I was the prisoner of the tick track, but I'm doing my best to set myself free...  ;D ;D

Paul

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 10:12:24 PM »
When I first started using one I was the prisoner of the tick track, but I'm doing my best to set myself free...  ;D ;D
I'm doing the same, Paul. I don't have anything against clicks in theory, but in practice they do dictate something that I dislike in the recording process. I *think* my internal timing's good enough to hold a song down while letting the tempo breathe. Also, recording to a click invites what I call "blocks-of-4" arranging which I strongly dislike. Another reason why I prefer to write 'naked'.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »
I always use a basic drum track Paul,I can't get on with a click track,like Tone says it's a feel killer. Drums are a bit more organic.

Yo Marty Boi,good to see you are still alive.  8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »
Yes, always use a basic drum track then once the other stuff has been laid down delete it and have some fun arranging drums

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
I'm definitely still in the camp of thrash it out on an instrument and when ready then record. Mind you Skub and Pompey and others seem to be able to post a completely produced song in the time that it takes me to write down the structure and lyrics so maybe there is something in the process that helps...

Perhaps my question would be "do you want to change the way you write songs?" Is it a positive thing, a negative thing, horses for courses, too early to tell, inevitable these days, it doesn't matter, something else, not a good question..?!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »
I still do 90% of my writing on the guitar and away from the computer. I’d echo the comment of how great they are for editing and arranging stuff, though.

Lately, I’m finding I don’t often feel the urge to write...I did some fiddling about with keyboard/synth-y things in GarageBand the other day, but it was getting on my nerves, so I chucked the towel in  :)

Finding a suitable drum track is massively important for me.

I’m hugely impressed at the quantity and quality that some of the guys here put out, but I have nothing like the same drive, desire or commitment.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 01:06:41 PM »
I always use a basic drum track Paul,I can't get on with a click track,like Tone says it's a feel killer. Drums are a bit more organic.

Yo Marty Boi,good to see you are still alive.  8)
Yeah I do use a drum groove when recording, but if I'm writing a song I don't want some stupid drummer banging away while I'm figuring out where a song should go  ;D ;D
And again, he doesn't know enough to pause or change the time signature or whatever.
When I was in a band, the drummer was always the Pubic Relations guy. Oops - did I spell that wrong?  Hmmm.. no I didn't. ;D ;D

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »
For me it's only the arrangement (and sound of course!) tool.

I'm with the guitar/piano/pen and paper gang...then I'll go to the pc when the song is written.

I've got lots of songs written but the DAW bit takes so long that I'm miles behind on getting them finished.

It's a great tool...mind-blowing really. My workflow probably leaves a lot to be desired and there are such a lot of sound options which can befuddle me for weeks....plus I'm still learning and striving to get better mixes...aren't we all?

And maybe my arrangements are too much!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 10:36:40 PM »
This is a fascinating thread and so interesting to see how other writers work. My pen and paper are always handy of course and I will often scribble down a chord sequence,  melody idea or half spun lyrics but other times I write at the DAW where I might record a sequence of chords along with a basic drum track then spend a bit of time changing the instrument on the midi file to something maybe less obvious and from there maybe a new song is born. I think the main thing about a DAW is that it affords you such amazing flexibility at no cost. It's certainly opened up a whole new world for me  ;D