konalavadome

Fall of the West - Dark Side of the Tune entry

• 25 Replies

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:58:50 AM »
Hey everyone. This tune is called The Fall of the West.  I was working on this anyway and then when I heard about this competition I accelerated the production! Here it is!

its an instrumental hence no lyrics.

https://soundcloud.com/mickyplankton/the-fall-of-the-west
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:33:38 PM by mickyplankton »

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »
This is good - nice and simple - I can feel the darkness and added my own darkness by imagining lyrics sung in a Kraftwerk style german accent.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »
Funny you should say that Morefrog, I've been listening to Autobahn a lot recently. Maybe it's rubbed off. Wasn't conscious of it.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
Dark and heavy. Having no lyrics makes it a little more darker. Leaves the meaning to the imagination.

Good luck in the competition.

Keith

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:15:52 AM »
Love this Micky. The lead synth is infectious. I'm hearing Kraftwerk as well together with a touch of The Stranglers. Love the background guitar as well. An excellent piece of work  :)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 04:33:26 PM »
He got it right - Kraftwerk and a touch The Stranglers - menacing almost, I love the vibe, it drives along with real power - compelling listen.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't get a dark out of it. I thought it was pretty cheerful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 11:58:13 AM »
Fun stuff - really like the entry of the guitars and the relentless beat and distortion. If retro-menace was a genre this would be the classic example.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 08:52:32 PM »
Yo MFJ

A very 70s sound overall,reminds me of an old German band Faust.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 07:35:04 PM »
Hey Pauls. Bumping this as discussed as I think it missed inclusion first time.

All- thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated. Cheers,

Micky.

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 08:22:39 PM »
Hey Hey,

Good bump, you got in early with this one! :)

Cool jam, I can feel the spook, and super funky 8-bit spook at that!

I do like my music served with words generally but you managed to convey quite a lot with the array of sounds and sweeping synths which provided plenty of variety and entertainmebt.

All the best,
Scott

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:52 AM »
Hi Micky

It is bizarre.
And it turns out I like bizarre  ;D ;D
Who'd a thunk?
As John says infectious.  ;D ;D

Added to the list - Good luck!
Paul

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 07:53:09 AM »
Hi Micky, enjoyed the tasty analogue synth sounds. It made me think of very early Depeche Mode. Some infectious melodies and its got a solid, bleak industrial feel. Personally I think it's a shame to leave it as an instrumental though as it is strong and could really back up some lyrics well... maybe you could return to it later for version 2 with some words?
It's all too beautiful.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
Really cool tune, Micky  8)

Stands up really well on its own...and I agree with Pauly that it could perhaps be revisited and made into a cracking song.

Great title too...it’s coming...the United States in particular...I just wonder if we’ll go down with their ship...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »

Really cool tune, Micky  8)

Stands up really well on its own...and I agree with Pauly that it could perhaps be revisited and made into a cracking song.

Great title too...it’s coming...the United States in particular...I just wonder if we’ll go down with their ship...

Hi Micky, enjoyed the tasty analogue synth sounds. It made me think of very early Depeche Mode. Some infectious melodies and its got a solid, bleak industrial feel. Personally I think it's a shame to leave it as an instrumental though as it is strong and could really back up some lyrics well... maybe you could return to it later for version 2 with some words?

Hi guys, thanks for the supplemental comments. Theres a couple of reasons ive not included lyrics. , and Diademgrove picked up on this.
I would prefer the story to unfold in the listeners imagination. The title sets the scene, the rest plays out how you interpret it.
The second reason i havent included lyrics is because i would prefer not to speculate (at least in a song) on the details of the erosion of civilization, because im not well read enough. My opinion (for what it is worth) is that 2008 (and the banking crisis) was a watershed year for the Western Elite Liberal agenda, and everything that has played out since, is some kind of reaction to that. Whilst i dont necessarily believe we have reached the apex of the Western way, i do believe we are at a very dangerous crossroads, and if we dont fix inequality, then its going to get way worse before it gets better.