Strawberry Season

• 23 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 11:01:31 PM »
Jack, You're melody work is always exceptional. You've either never smoked a cigarette in you're life or are much younger than me (or both) I love the bouncy melodic feel and the interesting tie in with the lyrics.  Quality stuff  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 09:34:46 PM »
Was listening thinking, ha Jack could never enter the "Dark" competition, but then listened a bit closer and realised how wrong I was! Interesting all round, lyrics taking me to mushroom season rather than strawberry season at times. Only thing I would say is that I don't now have much recall of what went on. Maybe I'm with Paulski on wanting a bit more hookiness... but extremely good sounding recordings here and great vocals as usual, and you have a knack for creating a great upbeat atmosphere.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
Pop music at its best - so, so melodic, holds interest throughout. I absolutely love the backing vocals which are executed to perfection and take this to another level.

The production is excellent and IMHO you don't need any professional help in this regard. If I am being super picky, I do think you need to bring the lead vocal forward just slightly in the mix, perhaps a touch of compression and judicious use of EQ might do it, easily fixed.

Loved listening to this  :)

"Pop music at it's best" may have just made my whole week. Yep, been working on this vocal over the last couple of days. Definitely had my head in it too long and begun hearing words that weren't een there! Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad you liked it.

Really enjoyed this Jack. The lyrics won me over before I'd played it. "Hitler ruined eugenics for everyone" is at once funny and edgy and I liked the ticker tape line a ton as well.  Again I couldn't follow the overall narrative or tell you what the song's about in any specific way, but didn't feel I needed to in order to enjoy it.
Musically, great vocals again, I picked up the ghost of the Smiths in the descending guitar lines. You already know the vocals are a bit quiet but apart from that no crits from me, an elegant slice of intelligent pop that's fizzing with evocative images.

That Hitler line is a little cheeky, I think. If there were ever a barrier to radio it's probably putting Hitler in your song... I'm a big Smiths fan, and probably a bigger fan of Marr than Morrissey. His jangly, melodic style is a huge influence on the guitar I'm using for this album. Thanks a bunch!

Jack, You're melody work is always exceptional. You've either never smoked a cigarette in you're life or are much younger than me (or both) I love the bouncy melodic feel and the interesting tie in with the lyrics.  Quality stuff  :)

Thankyou PompeyJazz, glad you enjoyed. I did smoke for a bit from 18-21 but I quite about a year ago. My voice and breathing has definitely improved. And also yeah I'm relatively young. Every little helps!

Was listening thinking, ha Jack could never enter the "Dark" competition, but then listened a bit closer and realised how wrong I was! Interesting all round, lyrics taking me to mushroom season rather than strawberry season at times. Only thing I would say is that I don't now have much recall of what went on. Maybe I'm with Paulski on wanting a bit more hookiness... but extremely good sounding recordings here and great vocals as usual, and you have a knack for creating a great upbeat atmosphere.

ahaha thanks Adam! I am thinking of entering the dark competition if I have the time. Would like to do something a little less bouncy. The lyrics are intentionally ambiguous - I'm enjoying creating images and living things up to the imagination and interpretation.

Thank you guys x
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 12:22:16 AM »
I never realised your lyrics were so creative! I suppose that was down to that musical you were always writing for and you had to stick to the  slightly silly story line all the time
Anyway these lyrics are brilliant... for example I love
'Hitler ruined eugenics for everyone
Let’s get a house by the lakeside and have some fun'

Musically it scoots along nimble as a prima ballerina...gorgeously melodic  and defying gravity like it was written for a butterfly
it still has the stage musical style to it in the music and its not particularly modern ...that concerns me a bit and means you are not writing for young people, who are the ones who control pop music
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 02:12:09 PM »
I never realised your lyrics were so creative! I suppose that was down to that musical you were always writing for and you had to stick to the  slightly silly story line all the time
Anyway these lyrics are brilliant... for example I love
'Hitler ruined eugenics for everyone
Let’s get a house by the lakeside and have some fun'

Musically it scoots along nimble as a prima ballerina...gorgeously melodic  and defying gravity like it was written for a butterfly
it still has the stage musical style to it in the music and its not particularly modern ...that concerns me a bit and means you are not writing for young people, who are the ones who control pop music

Thank you very much Tina! I'm going to use "nimble as a prime ballerina" + "like it was written for a butterfly" in all subsequent album promotion material - if you don't mind of course ;)) I am glad you liked the lyrics; they're very important to me for this album.

You're totally right that it's not modern. Nothing I write is particularly modern. My influences are indie pop bands like Belle & Sebastian that strive for more of a 60s & 70s nostalgia sound. But don't worry, there are still plenty of young people that listen to this stuff

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 08:57:27 PM »
Fab piece of work, Jack...lovely bright bubbly pop music, excellently performed and produced  :)

Maybe not quite as hook-y as some of your other stuff...but most excellent, nonetheless.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
Fab piece of work, Jack...lovely bright bubbly pop music, excellently performed and produced  :)

Maybe not quite as hook-y as some of your other stuff...but most excellent, nonetheless.

Thanks a lot Paul! Cheers for the listen. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 02:58:05 PM »
Good poppy tune Jack.
And with 12 string if my ears are right?
Liked the energy and your vocals
Thoughts: I couldn't hear much bass, all drums, vocals and guitars.
The other thing is around the arrangement. You've got a fair bit going on in the various sections and it isn't really as focused around a chorus. I always think of a song as a musical journey which will lead you up the chorus if you get my drift.
If you're doing more to it I'd really think about the songs structure musically and maybe look to simplify it a bit.
Anyway nice one
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »
you're an incredible talent!!

there're so many gorgeous lyrical phrases in there!
my favourite would be:

"Whoever gave you a camera’s a criminal
Whoever showed you the sky first must love us all
You’re in the garden dreaming while most of us are doomed to politics
And half-wits"

seems you can say almost anything with a voice like that.

stunning
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly