konalavadome

Rework my songs

• 8 Replies

Scorpio Rising

• Busker
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:28:07 AM »
Hey all,

Some of you may have heard a few of my songs posted in the review section ( http://soundcloud.com/pidgemusic ).

As a songwriter I tend to come up with an ok melody around some chords very easily. The lyrics also come fairly easily. I struggle most with building the song up, and I haven't the slightest idea how to put synth, drums or anything other than guitar on my track (I also struggle with lead guitar bits a little!). This makes my songs sound incomplete, and in general very dull. Plus I don't have the equipment to record properly at this current moment. I have no memory of ever finished a song to satisfaction :(

The cover kafla did of greedo's song made me inspired me somewhat, such a completely different take on the same song. Basically I'm looking for someone to work with who can take my raw songs and see what they can do with them and do their own version; Changing them, writing extra bits in, taking bits out and doing whatever they will with them. If anyone is by chance interested I'd love to know about it!

Thanks

Kafla

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:30:28 AM »
Hi Scorpio,

I found reading Ramshackles post on how to set up a cheap recording studio really informative.

What I now have is a Rode NTC 1a mic £145, Focusrite audio interface £70 from ebay and a cheap Alesis MIDI Keyboard £39.

I started off with Music Creator 6 from Cakewalk £55. So for around £300 I think I have a pretty efficient budget studio.

I already had a few guitars and keyboards. I have already upgraded to Sonar (just because I got used to the Cakewalk layout)

Anyway back to Music Creator - what this allows you to do is to play virtual instruments through the midi keyboard. So once you have your guitar & voice on tracks you can then build in drums, synths, strings, bass - whatever you want and whatever order you want. You can built on little sections at a time , playing little notes and correcting them. The package I got was reduced through  a code on Soundcloud - they said it was £200. It comes with guitar, bass, drums and string sounds as well as hundreds of little samples. There is also a great synth called Rapture where you can create and adapt your own sounds - I find this really interesting just now

The more experienced guys on here will be laughing at how basic this all is but trust me this revolutionised the way I create music - I am not a keyboard player but found that you can get quite good if you can have as many takes as you like. If i write a song with chords that are hard to play (for example flat chords on the keyboard) i just transpose it to an easy chord to play and then transpose it back - its astonishing!

So my humble advice is to follow Ramshackles advice and buy Cakewalk Music Creator (or perhaps the people on here have something better) and get working on these ideas yourself - you can do it!

Scorpio Rising

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Unfortunately I won't  be able to afford anything else than my current £10 semi broken microphone for 6 months at least. But when I have money these things will certainly be the first things I buy :) I'm going to tear apart my old computer today put a new sound card in and use it as a makeshift studio set up, but it's really not much.

I think ideally I need to get into a band and work on my songs / develop the songs with them :)

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:02:14 PM »
I've got a reasonable "bedroom" recording set-up, but I still think that some input from others to develop a song could be helpful.
It all depends on how protective of your song you wish to be.
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Scorpio Rising

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:56:48 AM »
Personally I'd be very open to any changes at all, complete rewrites in places and complete change in style.
I'd think of it more as a co-songwriting partnership.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:53:57 PM »
OK. No promises, It's not something I normally do, and time permitting, but as long as you're happy for me to fiddle around with your creation......?

Post the Lyrics and chords to "Well run show" I'd like to have a go at it.

If nothing else you'll end up with a drum pattern for it to use in the future.  :D
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 09:30:36 PM »
If you lay me down some basics, vocals and possibly some instruments if possible, I'd be happy trying out something with you.

Dom

Scorpio Rising

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »
I'd definitely be happy for that!

Capo 1

Verse chords Am, E, Am, E, c, g, c, em.

So long my soul
in this long summer past

It is a shame
but I leave you now

Ahhhhhhh x 2

So long my friend
was a well run show

I've had my fill
now it's time to go

(chorus - chorus chords - em, D 6/9 fr-open?, g, c

##That weird D chord thing is
E  A D g b e
2-0-0-2-0-0##

I'm not staying why's it always the same, it can't all be the same, it can't all be same)

The days they draw on,
one at a time

Slow in nature
neither cruel or kind

Living in the shade
for pre determined time

Turn on the lamp
for the bulb to blow

(chorus)

Sing your soul
it's time to go
take your stuff and keep on walking

So long my soul
in this long summer past

It is a shame
but I leave you now

Thanks for trying!

kingcornflake

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
Hey. I am happy to have ago at this if you like. Let me know if you are happy for me to do this. Of so I will have a hi and send you the track. Cheers