konalavadome

Adding effects in Reaper

• 9 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: September 10, 2017, 08:21:42 PM »
Could someone give me a jump start to adding effects to a guitar track in Reaper? For instance, take the opening chord in the Everly Brothers' "Dream Dream Dream. Is there a way to give a plain guitar track that vibrato effect in Reaper?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:37:28 PM »
Hi Vicki. I'm away at the moment but will get back to you when I get home. You need to apply a vst amp to the guitar. Some great freebies. I'll be in touch

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »
Ha!

Back in the day Vicki,old Fender amps and others used to come standard with tremolo,which is the effect you are hearing. Widely overused by guitar players the world over! I love it.  :D

It'll be a simple matter for you to access this in your daw,but I'll let John show you the way,rather than muddy the waters,since I use a different daw.

Creedence Clearwater Revival would have sounded a lot different if not for tremolo and they were widely regarded as the best 50s band the 70s ever had.  ;D

Hope all is well with ya kiddo.  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
Thanks, guys! Amanda's first four chemo treatments are two weeks apart each, so I'm finding I need something for stress relief in between them. Stress relief, of course, is something musical. So I'm experimenting with Reaper, trying to do some fun stuff with midi that I've never tried before. Maybe I'll end up with something I can enter in the dark contest. That would be fun. It'll probably also be a bit weird. For me at least.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:38:33 PM »
Hard times can be fertile ground,Vicki and it's good to have your creativity as a welcome distraction.

Thinking of you both.  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »
Hi Vicki - Thinking about you and your daughter. Stay strong, music is certainly something that can help such a lot.

Right, amp vst's in Reaper......

Firstly download an amp vst - A decent free one to download is Freeamp - The link is here

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Free_Amp_3&id=580

You will need to unzip the file and extract the .dll file - Then place the dll file in your Reaper VST folder, this is under Options > Preferences > Plugins > VST (VST Plugin Path)

Now the decision as to record "dry" or "wet" - Everybody has their own preferences but personally I record dry (No FX) as then I can apply any FX to what I have recorded and if I don't like it I can try another one.

So - Record some guitar.....

Once you've done that, click the FX box and choose VST:FA3 Full Fretted Synth

On the top dropdown are various presets which you can apply to your recording - I like to flick through them to hear the different sounds

If you just want tremolo, on the box at the bottom that says "bypass", click the right arrow until tremolo appears - You can then change the rate, depth and waveform. You can apply more FX to the tremolo by using the other boxes at the bottom of the screen.

There are lots of amp controls and speaker settings as well which you can play with. The possibilities are pretty endless  :)

Hope you manage to get that sorted Vicki - Any problems please let me know.

All the very best to you and your daughter

John  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 03:19:20 PM »

Here's the real world live version of a DAW plugin,Vicki. 

Generally speaking the bigger the pedalboard a guitar player uses the worse he plays!  :D

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 03:41:16 PM »
John: Thanks a million! I got it downloaded and installed. And wow! Something new to play with. ;D It can make a lot of noise!

Skub: Another wow...! That's a lot of pedals. I did buy a pedal once, not too long ago. It was really cheap and had to be assembled before using. The case didn't even have holes in it for the buttons or cables. I studied the [very sketchy] instructions for awhile, then passed it to my son, who likes to play with that kind of stuff. He got it all put together, but it didn't work. Something was not right. So I let him keep it. He might be able to make it do something fun some day, but I can't use it.

Anyway, now to try to narrow down my sounds so I can actually get something put together that makes sense. This will be my first effort based on sound. As opposed to words.

This is such a great forum. Gives me the warm fuzzies.  :D ;D :D

BTW, Amanda is doing reasonably well, now that the shock has worn off. And her biggest stress--the financial impact--appears to have been solved, so that's a big relief.

Vicki

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 04:23:56 PM »

BTW, Amanda is doing reasonably well, now that the shock has worn off. And her biggest stress--the financial impact--appears to have been solved, so that's a big relief.

Vicki

Great news,Vicki. We'll hammer it all out together.  :)