Forum Member Covers

• 64 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 10:41:27 PM »
An interesting theoretical question for you all. Say for example I had offered to record a backing track for a song in works in progress, had liaison with the writer, recorded another version of the backing track and added the writers vocals, then asked permission from the writer to post the song on the forum for feedback but heard nothing, what would you do ? Even if you thought that the track you recorded was reasonable?  Discuss....

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 12:24:25 AM »
Hi John

I reckon that if you did a great job with a song that turned out very well indeed but the main writer hadn't got back to you about it, it'd be highly likely for them to throw a hissy fit if it was posted on the forum  :(
It's hard for me to imagine them not being happy with it, but unless they'd had a mishap or something equally unusual that meant they couldn't type a quick email or PM, I'd have to assume it just wasn't what they had in mind for the song. I guess it's almost totally their intellectual property if it's their lyrics and melody...even if you - hypothetically - provided a fantastic backing track to replace their otherwise perhaps somewhat less-fantastic one, for example. It'd be quite a kick in the knackers after putting such a lot of effort in...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 08:03:07 AM »
Yes, I think your need explicit permission. I think I'm going to pose a similar point about co-writes on a new thread.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 09:52:19 PM »
Skub,
Thanks it was a blast
:-)
neil
I enjoyed that listen Neil.

Alan's original has a great folky feel and your version works well,giving the song a sort of lazy 'Lynyrd Skynyrd' country rock feel.

I hadn't heard Alan's song before,so it was good to catch up on a blast from the past.
songwriter of no repute..

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 11:11:59 PM »
An interesting theoretical question for you all. Say for example I had offered to record a backing track for a song in works in progress, had liaison with the writer, recorded another version of the backing track and added the writers vocals, then asked permission from the writer to post the song on the forum for feedback but heard nothing, what would you do ? Even if you thought that the track you recorded was reasonable?  Discuss....

Yo yo,

That is an interesting one, and I think it's a **** move not to reply to you if they have seen it and decided they didn't like it. If you've agreed prior to work together and you've spent time on it then I think there's an assumption that you'll be able to one day share your expression and effort - and it should be their request "hey cheers but I've got a different idea for this".

How long's it been? There's always things that can crop up and distract people so I'd give them a fair bit of time, even if you're excited, but then a private SoundCloud link for the forum would seem quite fair to me.

IDK though, maybe I just enjoy being the devil's advocate..

Cheers,
Scott

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »

I'd assume they did not like it and leave it alone until they contacted me and if they didn't contact me then they clearly didn't like it so I'd dump it!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »
Not sure this belongs here but, this morning I found myself humming something in the shower. At first I thought I'd come up with something new. Then I got to the "ahhhh" and realized it was Little Miss Monochrome. Haha. Anyway, not recorded, or with your permission, I covered it. Hope you don't mind.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 11:32:34 PM »
Not sure this belongs here but, this morning I found myself humming something in the shower. At first I thought I'd come up with something new. Then I got to the "ahhhh" and realized it was Little Miss Monochrome. Haha. Anyway, not recorded, or with your permission, I covered it. Hope you don't mind.

Sure ye are only human kiddo.  :D

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »
This is a great idea. Occasionally, I hear a song on this forum and think about offering a different interpretation of it. Rightlys There to Disappear is one that springs to mind.
I've had Offers of remixing tracks which I think is also a great idea (my problem is my iPad doesn't allow me to export files which is damn annoying)
Sometimes I hear other people's songs and I think in my head that they are only a couple of melodic tweaks away from being a sure fire hit. But it's sometimes hard to explain what you mean when you are writing it out in a reply.

That song is special for me. 
It'd be a blast to hear what you do with that song.
 Do go for it. I could send you a lyric sheet with chords, you could do whatever you think is best with it.
 It'd great to have a copy.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 08:39:21 PM »
Check your PMs Rightly.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »
Not participating in this because I don't have time (or resources) to record my own cover of somebody's tune. However, one of the biggest honors I can get as a songwriter is to be covered.
I hope that you all feel the same way. This is a super cool thread.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 07:34:15 AM »
Not participating in this because I don't have time (or resources) to record my own cover of somebody's tune. However, one of the biggest honors I can get as a songwriter is to be covered.
I hope that you all feel the same way. This is a super cool thread.

I'd say that is opening a window. IMO the question was 'Is this possible?' and the answer was 'YES!'.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »
I have long been an admirer of the feeling and emotion Rightly puts into his unconventional songs and I'm always moved by the depths of his lyrics. It was,therefore,with some trepidation mixed with excitement,that and with his permission,I recorded a version of his song,'All the Best People Have Gone Home'.

I thought to approach the song retaining the raw,stripped back aspect and attempting to make it as angsty and emotive as I could.

I hope you all enjoy the song as much as I did working on it.  :)

As usual I include the original song,then my cover.

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13138.0

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/rightly-cover-all-the-best-people

All The Best People Have Gone Home

all the best
people have gone home
when I go
I'll not return, I know
well I guess, I'm the next, the here-after-show
all the best people have gone home

a change of
scenery doesn't hurt
it's all about
perspective makes things work (work it out)
like a jealous wind, where am I to begin?
a change of scenery wouldn't hurt

I've made mistakes, one made me think twice
should I die today will tomorrow be alright?

there's no need
to enter like a thief
show me your
hunger, show me your greed
take some more, take anything you want from me
there's no need for you to enter like a thief

if I die today will tomorrow be alright?
It's a quiet place, in death as in life
would it be okay, if I turn off the lights?     

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 03:36:24 PM »
I have long been an admirer of the feeling and emotion Rightly puts into his unconventional songs and I'm always moved by the depths of his lyrics. It was,therefore,with some trepidation mixed with excitement,that and with his permission,I recorded a version of his song,'All the Best People Have Gone Home'.

I thought to approach the song retaining the raw,stripped back aspect and attempting to make it as angsty and emotive as I could.

I hope you all enjoy the song as much as I did working on it.  :)

As usual I include the original song,then my cover.

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13138.0

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/rightly-cover-all-the-best-people

All The Best People Have Gone Home

all the best
people have gone home
when I go
I'll not return, I know
well I guess, I'm the next, the here-after-show

a change of
scenery doesn't hurt
it's all about
perspective makes things work (work it out)
like a jealous wind, where am I to begin?
a change of scenery wouldn't hurt

should I die today will tomorrow be alright?

there's no need
to enter like a thief
show me your
hunger, show me your greed
take some more, take anything you want from me
there's no need for you to enter like a thief

if I die today will tomorrow be alright?
It's a quiet place, in death as in life
would it be okay, if I turn off the lights?     

That was a really beautiful cover, skub. Beautifully sung and I liked what you did with the music. It highlighted the lyrics and mood really well.

Beautiful song, Rightly. I hadn't heard it before. I was overwhelmed  with grief with all of their deaths. The passing of Prince in particular had a deep effect. His death was instrumental in my songwriting journey. Somehow the doors opened the day he died, and I wrote my second ever song. Then they came one after another in a creative wave that seemed almost out of my hands. I see now it wasn't just me. Lovely tribute.

Lynn

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »
Thanks redrhodie,it was a challenge and out of my usual comfort zone,but enjoyable nevertheless.