How Inspiration Strikes

• 3 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:24:20 AM »
Hi Guys & Girls,

Just thought I'd share something that happened to me this week.

I haven't written a song I was really, really pleased with for quite a while. I mean the sort of song that when you play it back, you think "How the hell did I come up with that?" and which makes you choke with emotion. I was thinking "Is that it...is the well dry?"

Anyhow, I was walking my collie dog in a field in the village where I live one morning last week and I had a title in my head from a TV program I'd heard the night before. All of a sudden I had the whole melody as if someone had whispered it into my ear. No guitar or keyboard - just the melody in my head.

I rushed home, pulled my guitar off it's hook and worked out the chords which are so simple (4 for the whole song). I recorded a terribly basic demo so I wouldn't forget the melody, wrote the rest of the words in around an hour and now I've got something which I think could be beautiful.

Now my problem is, how do I do justice to something which in my head is sublime but which I can't do justice to with my limited instrumental abilities?

Is this a common problem for you and what other stories of how inspiration strikes do you have?

M

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »
how do I do justice to something which in my head is sublime but which I can't do justice to with my limited instrumental abilities?

I think when something like this happens it is worth working through to get that sound in your head out - even if it means reaching out to others, especially if you know what it is you are lacking

I have the bones of a song that I think could be "the one", which I have the beginnings of a rough demo and I think when it is finished I will believe in it enough to hire a session vocalist to get the sound I have in my head (which unfortunately is not my vocal style at all! - typical!!)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 12:52:47 PM »
Hi Monty Dog

Sorry if I ramble on here, but I have found various ways in trapping moments of inspiration.

Occasionally I hear lyrics, so I stick them on a reminder list on my iphone, trapped a lot like that.
Melodies, I do a similar thing and video myself singing it as soon as I hear it, wherever I am, this really helps capture the moment.

here's a short anecdote.

I was in the National Gallery a long time ago, and as I was walking through, I saw a picture that hit me straight between the eyes, I stood there for 30 minutes just looking at it, then I went home, bought a canvas and oil paints and painted it, it came out pretty close, the painting was  this:

https://mydailyartdisplay.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/saint-francis-in-meditation-by-francisco-de-zurbaran/

didn't think it was my cuppa tea, but it was....

The funny thing was that it happened again and again with Cezanne, Picasso and Di Chirco, I never wanted it, nor was I a painter, but something happened that I could not control, it took over my life for 5 weeks at a time, couldn't think nor concentrate, they are hanging around the house now, I gave the Zurbaran to a nun on Holy Island.

The point I'm trying to put across is that I couldn't paint, but I didn't let that get in the way. You'll find a way, use the midi editor, get some friends round, put out a collaboration request in this forum, you'll find a way.

Hope this helps

cpm

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:14:49 PM »
Hi Guys & Girls,

Just thought I'd share something that happened to me this week.

I haven't written a song I was really, really pleased with for quite a while. I mean the sort of song that when you play it back, you think "How the hell did I come up with that?" and which makes you choke with emotion. I was thinking "Is that it...is the well dry?"

Anyhow, I was walking my collie dog in a field in the village where I live one morning last week and I had a title in my head from a TV program I'd heard the night before. All of a sudden I had the whole melody as if someone had whispered it into my ear. No guitar or keyboard - just the melody in my head.

I rushed home, pulled my guitar off it's hook and worked out the chords which are so simple (4 for the whole song). I recorded a terribly basic demo so I wouldn't forget the melody, wrote the rest of the words in around an hour and now I've got something which I think could be beautiful.

Now my problem is, how do I do justice to something which in my head is sublime but which I can't do justice to with my limited instrumental abilities?

M

Hi Monty , this happens a lot to me , so i collaborate with someone who is head and shoulders above my level of playing , musicianship and general musical ability , he used to have problems coming up with the original ideas , and lyrics , whereas i had plenty , i would send him a basic song with some rythym guitar and vocals on it , he would go to town with the lead and bass and keyboards and whatever else we could think of , and hey presto !! 
The funny thing is that he'd been playing in bands professionally since the 60's , and never wrote a song , then after working with me he got the confidence to write and sing his own stuff , i actually helped him !!
win win situation .
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!