Our love never ceased, it only grew

Bridge/End
And we’re both beginning to see the light,
But it’s not normal sunlight,
At the end of the tunnel, I’m still with you
You’re the bulb that shines in my eyes
But I can’t get enough of the sunlight
The light that proves our love was true

Thanks for taking the time to read. Any feedback at all is appreciated. I'm not sure you guys will be able to know what exactly my vision is for these lyrics, but I'll gladly listen to any suggestions.
Thanks again!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:45:54 PM by Brady »

kartman

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
I like the overall tone of the lyric but many things distract me from completely diving into this coziness of small-town-lived-happily-everafter-and-died-together romance.

First, the combination of lines "And you don’t use your cell phone / Because you feel safe" and "Oh, baby dont run" feel really creepy to me :o (and funny, tbh, in the context on analysing a lyric ;D)
Also why say "And oh, don't be afraid" when you already pointed that she feels safe. Have you scared her? Did she see something inside your house that scared her and she wanted to run away? So many questions... 

Also I see a lot of night/bright/light/sunlight rhymes, especially closer to the end. When I write myself and notice such things I know that I overused a word or rhyme.

Related to that is one of the main lines in chorus "Its dark outside, but there's sunlight". It is confusing to me because such combination of "dark" and "sun" and "stars" puzzled me and distracted attention. A simple change from "there's sunlight" to "there's a light" sort of fixes a problem to me, but its up to you of course.

Later in verses a line "Laughing alone in this house, it must be a sign" made me wonder of what could be a thing that made them laugh in a situation when they're old, kids are gone and they're alone. And then there's a sign... sign of what?.. Its questions again...  ;D

And finally the bridge. I would say that it is unnecessary and doesnt flow, but its your song, so you can kill off any number of happy old couples you want. Basic suggestion is to make it more poetic or symbolic and avoid rhymes like light/sunlight and avoid descriptions lie "beginning to see the light / But it’s not normal sunlight" because it sounds too formal and like a medical report rather than a poem.

Thanks for this thing, I enjoyed reviewing)

Brady

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 04:20:33 PM »
I like the overall tone of the lyric but many things distract me from completely diving into this coziness of small-town-lived-happily-everafter-and-died-together romance.

First, the combination of lines "And you don’t use your cell phone / Because you feel safe" and "Oh, baby dont run" feel really creepy to me :o (and funny, tbh, in the context on analysing a lyric ;D)
Also why say "And oh, don't be afraid" when you already pointed that she feels safe. Have you scared her? Did she see something inside your house that scared her and she wanted to run away? So many questions... 

Also I see a lot of night/bright/light/sunlight rhymes, especially closer to the end. When I write myself and notice such things I know that I overused a word or rhyme.

Related to that is one of the main lines in chorus "Its dark outside, but there's sunlight". It is confusing to me because such combination of "dark" and "sun" and "stars" puzzled me and distracted attention. A simple change from "there's sunlight" to "there's a light" sort of fixes a problem to me, but its up to you of course.

Later in verses a line "Laughing alone in this house, it must be a sign" made me wonder of what could be a thing that made them laugh in a situation when they're old, kids are gone and they're alone. And then there's a sign... sign of what?.. Its questions again...  ;D

And finally the bridge. I would say that it is unnecessary and doesnt flow, but its your song, so you can kill off any number of happy old couples you want. Basic suggestion is to make it more poetic or symbolic and avoid rhymes like light/sunlight and avoid descriptions lie "beginning to see the light / But it’s not normal sunlight" because it sounds too formal and like a medical report rather than a poem.

Thanks for this thing, I enjoyed reviewing)
Thanks for the in-depth response. I agree that I used words that rhyme with "light" too much, I'll change 'em. When I'm saying "don't run, don't be scared" and things like that, I'm trying to show how concerned I am that I'll let this girl get away and how she may be afraid of getting hurt again.
In the song, the "sunlight" is a metaphor for the girl I'm singing about - when I say it's dark outside, but there's sunlight, I'm talking metaphorically - the girl is all the light I need. Also, they'd be laughing because they're still together - the love worked out, against all odds. It's a sign that they were meant to be together and that the love hasn't died.
I'll look over the bridge and see if there's anything I'd like to change. If you have any suggestions please post them! I may end up just removing it, like you said.
I also do agree that the song is kind of cliche, but it's one of my first attempts at writing.
Thanks for the response, again! You've given me many things to change and think about.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
Hi,
Good title and concept. You convey the emotions in a distinct manner. Some thinning out will increase the power of the lyrics as had been mentioned. You also not following a regular rhyming scheme, which will make it a bit harder to sing but it's no deal breaker.

The 4th line - going to any home, seems odd to me..

Good luck with it
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Brady

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »
Hi,
Good title and concept. You convey the emotions in a distinct manner. Some thinning out will increase the power of the lyrics as had been mentioned. You also not following a regular rhyming scheme, which will make it a bit harder to sing but it's no deal breaker.

The 4th line - going to any home, seems odd to me..

Good luck with it
 :)
Neil
Thanks Neil!
Also, the 4th line was a typo, my bad - it's "going to my home". I've changed it now :P