Open Mic Practice Session 1

• 19 Replies

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« on: August 27, 2017, 04:45:20 PM »
Hey all

So as Scott pointed out in his OM thread I too have been practicing for the possibility of doing an open mic night. I lack a certain confidence for performing live and was very nervous recording this. I struggled with breathing and slipped up here and there but figured that that's part of the learning process. So my plan is to record myself again in the future and try to get more confident in front of the camera before I take on the real thing.

Of course, I don't expect you to listen through and comment but it is here for anyone interested and any feedback/comments gratefully received.

So here it is:
&feature=youtu.be

I'll post the lyrics up later :)

Thanks to all

Darren

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 05:24:15 PM »
Yay Darren, smashing it mate!

Aha you did look a little nervous as the video started, but absolutely no need! It's always lovely aswell when you're mid-song and forget about all your worries, like when you start getting your jig on and confidence really shines through.

My first thought is it's a travesty live audiences haven't gotten a chance to hear this earlier - but am honored you've let us in to see what you've got! So exiting to see and hear you play, and plenty to learn from (I can see that thumb in action for example - and I'll certainly be taking influence from some of those little riffs up the fret-board xD)

You talk about the honesty in my lyrics, but you can also see that I'm wearing my shades and taking the p*** a little to distance myself. Some very nice and personal sentiments in your songs (looking forward to seeing the lyrics written) and comes across lovely with the delicate vocal and guitar to accompany. And killer flow across those same lines; "to be free it seems from me and my family" verse notably and great control on your vocal all the way through.

Don't know how much thought you put into it, but I dig the order you did them in. Finishing on Summer Lover seemed like an encore-like ending and the one before it lifted the pace a little to lead us in.

Feel bad that I've got no feedback for improvements - after the sterling advice you've given the other way. Only advice would be to keep at it, there's a great feeling playing live - even just to the camera - and I've felt my confidence grow heck-loads from just that.

Looking forward to the next one! :)

All the best,
Scott.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »
Hello Buddy

I enjoyed these! Absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be 100% confident, go out there and knock it out of the park.

You've got a great voice. It's quite low and I sometimes find it hard to get enough projection when I'm singing lower down my range. Having said that, you won't have the clatter of drums and backline to contend with, so as long as there's a half decent PA (or maybe even a monitor!) I'm sure you'll be fine.

You've got some great lyrics and songs...best of luck!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:56:42 PM »
Just watched this again Darren.  The song is sensational.  The big problem on open Mike nights is getting people to actually listen above the background chatter so make sure you do a sound check and get them to boost your vocals and bit. Also just before you sing the song , make sure that people know you're actually going to start.  :)

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
Yay Darren, smashing it mate!

Aha you did look a little nervous as the video started, but absolutely no need! It's always lovely aswell when you're mid-song and forget about all your worries, like when you start getting your jig on and confidence really shines through.

My first thought is it's a travesty live audiences haven't gotten a chance to hear this earlier - but am honored you've let us in to see what you've got! So exiting to see and hear you play, and plenty to learn from (I can see that thumb in action for example - and I'll certainly be taking influence from some of those little riffs up the fret-board xD)

You talk about the honesty in my lyrics, but you can also see that I'm wearing my shades and taking the p*** a little to distance myself. Some very nice and personal sentiments in your songs (looking forward to seeing the lyrics written) and comes across lovely with the delicate vocal and guitar to accompany. And killer flow across those same lines; "to be free it seems from me and my family" verse notably and great control on your vocal all the way through.

Don't know how much thought you put into it, but I dig the order you did them in. Finishing on Summer Lover seemed like an encore-like ending and the one before it lifted the pace a little to lead us in.

Feel bad that I've got no feedback for improvements - after the sterling advice you've given the other way. Only advice would be to keep at it, there's a great feeling playing live - even just to the camera - and I've felt my confidence grow heck-loads from just that.

Looking forward to the next one! :)

All the best,
Scott.

Thanks Scott!

Yes looked and felt it :P it's funny, I can practice without a care on my own - turn a camera on and bam I get all self conscious. I was hoping to 'settle' into during the set but it didn't seem to happen. Think I got myself all worked up :P

Ahh thanks mate. Very kind of you to say. I do miss that I don't get to play my songs live - it's something I have always wanted to do so hopefully this is the first baby step to getting the confidence to do so. :) your comment certainly help

Thank you. I am glad you liked the lyrics. Still need to post them up - will do so later. I'm glad you said I had control of my vocal :P it's where my confidence fails, my vocal. I have a particularly deep voice and was often teased when younger for it and I guess it kind of left it's scar. Time for me to get past that.

Some thought was given to the order of the songs. I knew I wanted to end on Summer Lover and built around that really. I have a lot to choose form so went with earlier or unfinished ones. Safe my other ones for when I am more confident. ;)

Ahh don't feel bad. I'm very grateful you took the time to listen and comment and for egging me to do one in the first place ;) for that I am very grateful.

Take care buddy and hopefully have a new one next month :P

Darren

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 05:06:46 PM »
Hello Buddy

I enjoyed these! Absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be 100% confident, go out there and knock it out of the park.

You've got a great voice. It's quite low and I sometimes find it hard to get enough projection when I'm singing lower down my range. Having said that, you won't have the clatter of drums and backline to contend with, so as long as there's a half decent PA (or maybe even a monitor!) I'm sure you'll be fine.

You've got some great lyrics and songs...best of luck!

That's great to hear Paul, thank you. And thank you very much for listening and commenting. The great voice comment blows me away! I thought it was terrible :P and yes it is quite low which is something I need to work with. I'm hoping to scout out a few open mics to get a feeling for the atmosphere and see what equipment they have etc so I will bear your comment in mind.

Thank you very much, really helps

All the best

Darren

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 05:09:05 PM »
Just watched this again Darren.  The song is sensational.  The big problem on open Mike nights is getting people to actually listen above the background chatter so make sure you do a sound check and get them to boost your vocals and bit. Also just before you sing the song , make sure that people know you're actually going to start.  :)

Thanks John! Really appreciate you taking the time to listen and reply :) and thank you for the tip ;)

As I was replying to Paul, I hope to scout some OM's out and get a feel for the atmosphere and equipment etc...should help my confidence to know what going on and I will have to keep your comments in mind ;)

Thanks again John.

All the best

Darren

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
How nice! (I even made my self a cup of tea.)
These are good performances.
When listening like this the songs work well but they might be a bit too lyrically focused to be fully appreciated in a crowded room. (Sorry, my pessimism is a chronic condition.) Summer Lover is the one I believe will work best on an unexpecting audience.

Best wishes,

Martin

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »
How nice! (I even made my self a cup of tea.)
These are good performances.
When listening like this the songs work well but they might be a bit too lyrically focused to be fully appreciated in a crowded room. (Sorry, my pessimism is a chronic condition.) Summer Lover is the one I believe will work best on an unexpecting audience.

Best wishes,

Martin

Martin, thanks so much for taking the time to listen and for your kind and helpful feedback. I know what you mean regarding the crowded room bit....It would probably be best for me to stick to my catchier songs. I'm really chuffed that you thought the performance was good, means a lot.

All the best

Darren

BigBadStu

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »
Hi Darren,
I am new to the forum so I have only just come across your video/songs.
I hope u managed to get out and do a live performance since posting this as you've definitely got what it takes.
I really like your voice and your song structures, a couple of tracks reminded me of Frank Black and others made me think of the Violent Femmes.
They are two of my favourite artists/songwriters so I look forward to hearing more of your songs,
All the best,

Stewart

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 03:26:58 PM »
Hi Darren,
I am new to the forum so I have only just come across your video/songs.
I hope u managed to get out and do a live performance since posting this as you've definitely got what it takes.
I really like your voice and your song structures, a couple of tracks reminded me of Frank Black and others made me think of the Violent Femmes.
They are two of my favourite artists/songwriters so I look forward to hearing more of your songs,
All the best,

Stewart

Welcome Stewart (@BigBadStu) and thank you very much! I still haven't taken the plunge unfortunately but it's on my bucket list so one day ;) I really appreciate your encouragement and pleased hear you liked my voice and songs. I have never heard of either Frank Black or Violent Femmes so I will have to check it out.

It's really nice that you've taken the time to listen and comment. Do you have any of your own stuff to share?

All the best

Darren :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 07:07:40 PM »
Hey Darren,

We are in the same club, so I totally understand how you feel. So put aside that this is coming from a total hypocrite--you have nothing to worry about. You look and sound great.

I recently won a guitar lesson with Justin Sandercoe of Justin Guitar, and he and I spent the end of my lesson talking about stage fright. He had me describe all my fears and symptoms, and he told me all of them are totally normal, everyone feels them, and even he still gets them before every gig. Then he asked what the worst thing that could happen could be. I said maybe forget the words. He said to write a cheat sheet with the opening words to each verse. Then I said maybe people would laugh. He said that's not that bad if it happens. He pointed out that the worst to thing is you might feel foolish, and that's not going to ruin your life.

So I hope to someday get up there, and I hope you will, too. It's supposedly like nothing else in the world, so it might be fun to try it.

I always like your songs and would totally go see you play if I could!

Lynn

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »
Hey Darren,

We are in the same club, so I totally understand how you feel. So put aside that this is coming from a total hypocrite--you have nothing to worry about. You look and sound great.

I recently won a guitar lesson with Justin Sandercoe of Justin Guitar, and he and I spent the end of my lesson talking about stage fright. He had me describe all my fears and symptoms, and he told me all of them are totally normal, everyone feels them, and even he still gets them before every gig. Then he asked what the worst thing that could happen could be. I said maybe forget the words. He said to write a cheat sheet with the opening words to each verse. Then I said maybe people would laugh. He said that's not that bad if it happens. He pointed out that the worst to thing is you might feel foolish, and that's not going to ruin your life.

So I hope to someday get up there, and I hope you will, too. It's supposedly like nothing else in the world, so it might be fun to try it.

I always like your songs and would totally go see you play if I could!

Lynn

Hi Lynn

I really appreciate your comments and so jealous you got to have a lesson with Justin! I think his site is brilliant and I used his Youtube lessons on Ear Training and found them so useful. He's really talented but seems like a real nice humble chap...and insightful too. Interesting to hear he still feels this way. I suppose it is one of those fears where the fear is worse than the situation itself. The very worst would be people would laugh and I'd feel a fool but it is worth that risk (I very much doubt any would laugh except the childish...).

Really nice to hear you enjoyed the songs and thought I sounded good. The positive feedback I have had from here does help and I think I will maybe try another video and then later this year scout out an open mic night to see how it all works. Then it's just a case of jumping into it.

Good luck to you too. I hope you manage to overcome your fears and do an open mic. You are talented and your music well written so I am sure you'd go down a treat

All the best to you Lynn

Darren

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »
Thanks Darren. Justin's contest is still going on. You should enter. You just submit a solo song, cover or original. It's on his forum in the audio or video of you playing/ contest area. He's considering ending the Skype lesson prize, but as of now, I think he's still giving that. But yeah, he's awesome. We had a good talk, and my guitar playing has noticibly improved since the lesson.

Lynn