Open Mic 2 - Nameless MC {Strong Language}

• 5 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« on: August 27, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
Hey hey,

So I've been meaning to do a new Open-Mic for a while - see how much, if at all, I've progressed since the last time I gave it a go 6 months ago.

After speaking with Darren I was inspired to step-up and actually do it, only to realise I couldn't perform any of my songs 'live' anymore - lyrics thoroughly forgotten.

So a couple weeks of writing, a new guitar, and now back in the game!

Even more excitingly, Darren also agreed to make one - so depending on who types-up fastest, it's either came or is coming!

Now on to this... I think it's worth making my excuses early. I strum with my hands 99% of the time, but being a mad-man decided to use a pic for this. Too messy? I'm a very sweaty guy  :D so it almost slipped out a few times.

I've tried to take a bit of feedback since last time by being a little less energetic, but my recording quality is only slightly better due to an upgraded phone. Vocals again are just however they come out at the time.. ;D

So... the question is... would you maybe enjoy this at a real open mic night? Or at least, not walk out in protest.

Oh and also a quick note, the last two songs are still very much WIP - but this is more about performing than the songs specifically, so gave 'em a bash anyway.

Put the lyrics below to help it along.

1- Keep Fucking Up

I keep fucking up, And letting down,
Everybody, I care about,
And I don't understand,
Why they keep me around,
When I'm just...

Thought we were supposed to learn,
From our mistakes,
But I don't know,
Maybe it's just fake...

I keep fucking up, Again and again,
Never learning, does that make me insane?
I can't understand it,
So how the fuck will you?
When I'm just...

Thought we were supposed to grow,
From lessons of the past,
But I've just flat-lined,
And realised at last...

2 - Playing Games
chorus
She thinks I'm playing games,
I guess no-one's ever told her,
I don't fuck around,
She thinks I'm tryin' it on,
But I'm just trying to have to fun,
trying to have some fun!

And the truth is darling, I C-B-A,
With all this other stuff, That love could bring our way,
So don't you worry, I wont latch on,
I'll leave you be once the night is done

chorus

The thought of love, causes pain in my heart,
Because the bad is always worse than the goodness at the start,

And I know I'm not attractive, And my conversation's light,
But I'm under no illusion, And with that I'm alright,
So I'm not expecting much, From a lovely girl like you,
But if we both love booze and music why not do it as a two?

chorus

3 - Boy You Got Some Work

I know this is the end, of the world you used to know,
Like the light is fading out, and there's nowhere left to go,
Your life's collapsing, and nothing's lasting,
Just the never-ending feeling, that you'll never get past it,

chorus

Eyes open, Sleeves up,
Boy you got some work to do,
Make amends, with your soul,
No-one else is helping you,

This time's too important, the crucial moment,
No time to despair, gotta' keep the future loaded,
It's the end of the old, but the start of the new,
And it's so much harder, than the life which you knew,

chorus

I know it's challenging, and the world will knock you down,
But I'm pretty sure you'll manage it, and fight another 'round,
I know this is the end, of the world you used to know,
So take what you've learnt, and give it another go!
4 - Tired of Being Tired
I'm always looking for a reason to hate you,
Hate you, hate you,
Give me a reason a valid excuse to
Ignore, cut-off and abandon,

Let it be your fault that we've drifted apart,
Let it be you who has no heart,

chorus
I'm tired, of being tired, of it all,
But don't worry 'bout me, it's you, who is col.
I'm tired, od being tired, of it all,
But don't worry 'bout be, it you, just like I told

music break
chorus

So give me a reason to cut you out,
So give me a reason to stay alone,
Give me a reason to remove the doubt
That you will question when I stay home!

chorus

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time, or even attempted, to listen :)

And a big thanks to everyone on the forum. I think it's petty much a year since I joined now, and regardless of if I sound better to anyone else, I'm having more and more fun every song and it's this community which has given me the drive and advice to do that.

All the best,
Scott.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 04:03:31 PM by ScottLevi »

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 04:33:48 PM »
Scott! You got in before me! :P

Thought I'd watch yours before I post mine. Plus I have been to the shops.

A marked improvement from you last open mic. I'm sure the equipment has helped but I felt listening to this that you have more confidence and you really seemed to be enjoying yourself there.

I'm going to start with the criticism :P because I am mean. There is really only one point I want to raise and that is your attack of that beautiful classical guitar! There's nothing wrong in how you play (I love your energy) it's just that it sometimes drowns out the vocal. I wander if it's because of the use of the pic, which can take some practice (you'll see in my video I, like you, generally play with my fingers to strum rather than a pic), and also that your often hitting all the strings. It might help to try and curl your fretting hand thumb over a bit to mute the lower string when they're not needed - it may help to clean up the guitar sound because....

...onto the praise...what you have here is fine collection of songs worthy of any open mic! After listening I immediately wanted to check out the lyrics and I am in awe of them. They are so honest and yeah they just really struck me, all of them. You sing and write from the heart and that shows so much here and, for me, it is captivating. I really like your vocal - it suits so much your style of writing and playing. Overall there is something really unique and fascinating about this and I will be listening to these again.

Your guitar playing, despite my early comments, is also really unique and captivating. I love the use of the bass note lines in between the chords. Your chords progressions are brilliant. You do throw a lot into it - there's lots of going on for just one man and his guitar and it is excellent. You are, most certainly, talented and in a way I both admire and envy. Keep practicing mate because once the unwanted guitar noise has been tamed (without sacrificing your energy) then this is going to be superb.

Another thing you could try, as an experiment, is to take one of your songs and try to play it with just one down stroke for each chord and let your vocal lead.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. The pressure is on me now I guess :P Will get mine up soon ;) just get my groceries in the fridge :P

Take care

Darren

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »
Ay Darren indeed I did! And I'm glad you're following me, and not the other way around!  :D

Yeah I was really struggling with the pic, I gave it a go because I ripped my thumb a little yesterday and then realized how bland it all sounded when trying to go back to the hand. I probably should've had a few days practice with the pic before doing this but just excited! :) Does mean it leaves an easy area for improvement, and that's always a good thing!

You're right about attacking 'that beautiful classical'; only had it what 2 weeks - and already lost a string!

Thanks for compliments on the lyrics, with a lack of technical and theoretical knowledge honesty is my only hope! And I really think I've 'found myself' aggressively attacking the chords (as opposed to the soft finger-picking of previous) and hope it does come out "superb" once tidied up a little.

Anyway I've just seen that yours is up, so enough of this I'm off to listen! :D

Cheers,
Scott.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »
Hi Scott

You've got a real talent for lyric writing...there's a great honesty about them and they're quite unique.

If I was trying to offer advice...which I find really awkward to do...I'd say to try to concentrate on the singing a bit more...it's what people will be mostly paying attention to. I used to try to make up for what I lacked in my singing ability by playing more (and harder) guitar...but I think over the years I've had to give the vocals more of a chance...sometimes easing up on the tempo too.

Anyway, you're really coming along...keep at it, mate!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 06:30:03 PM »
Hey Paul,

Cheers for taking the time man - add for the kind words in the lyrics -much appreciated.

And that's great wisdom there, I've thought we've been similar in the sense of sometimes trying to hide the vocals, but some of my fave of yours are the ones where they are up front (Sometimes Blue comes to mind straight away) - so a worthy lesson for myself.

Thanks again!
Scott

Ps. You're overdue a new open mic  here yourself ent yah? ;)