konalavadome

Feedback on rough demo of new song (Victim Of The Modern World)

• 3 Replies

RJDG14

• Busker
« on: August 27, 2017, 04:02:32 AM »
So I've made another poor quality demo, this time of a song I wrote called Victim Of The Modern World. This decade has given rise (at least in Britain) to the so called Selfie Culture, and it feels as if I'm one of the only teenagers I know who doesn't conform by it, instead being stuck in my own ways. This song is about an anonymous male teenager who has been taken into this way of life without even realising it. Here's the link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Tag9eed9I

Anyway, here's the lyrics:

Monochrome, dresses he
In his mind he's fast asleep
He's a victim of the modern world
Yet in his mind he cannot tell

Child now
Be yourself now
Run from the others
Don't fall victim to the modern world

All in line, line up they
Uniform they're all the same
No free thinking in the line
Don't ask questions cause they ain't fine

Child now
Be yourself now
Run from the others

*Instrumental* (basically a silent verse and chorus)

In the end they go to sleep
No difference because they're sheep
Always doing things the same
While I've always done things my way

Child now
Be yourself now
Run from the others

Child now
Be yourself now
Run from the others

The song utilises a bass guitar of sorts, though it's just my regular guitar played through a very low-pitch amp configuration, and I feel I'm pretty bad at playing it, even though it does seem a little like Joy Division (Disorder/Transmission) in my opinion. When it came to the guitar, I was trying to emulate Bob Mould or Dave Grohl's strumming patterns, though again it still sounds pretty sloppy and unpolished in my opinion, although for one of my recordings where everything's a first take it's still above-par. I really need to get better on the guitar.

The drums sound so terrible because they're not actually drums, since I don't own any. Instead I used a really terrible iPad app and due to lag was unable to record the drums together, so I had to record each one individually (I did so in my garage without being able to hear the result until I put all the tracks together) and hope for the best. They could have been worse though.

I don't like practising around other people, so if I'd had more time on my own to record, this could have sounded a little better.

The "cover" in the video is intentionally awful, signifying the rough, churned out ethos of the current decade where everything feels the same, and also to suit the poor production of the demo. It uses one of my most rushed cartoon drawings with a character mirrored three times into the distance in order to relate loosely to the second verse, and some very crude writing I did with my left hand that says it's a demo. This is my second demo to be released under my Millmead project name.

Anyway, getting beyond the awful production, does it remind you of any artists in terms of style, and what do you think of it as a song?

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 09:33:54 AM »
Hello RJDG!

Good concise lyric writing and I like how they are sung in the track. I've listened a few times now and the song is good in my opinion. It does suffer from the production but I'm sure there a few simple things that would help clean it up a little.

The drums, like you say, are out of sync with the rest of the music and I found them quite distracting. I think for a rough demo you could leave them out entirely as your guitar playing kept the rhythm very well. You are a good guitar player and this shows in the track and you have a good sense of timing and rhythm.

The vocal could use a little boost. I'm not great with mixing so not sure where the issue lies with it but it just sounded quiet and muffled behind the instruments. The melody is great and I really like the harmonies. I felt the chorus needed something extra to make it rise out from the verses. You could try some harmonies in the chorus too? or double the vocal? Some of the others here will hopefully point you in the direction mix wise to help lift the chorus.

On the whole - great potential here and the more you practice with recording the cleaner these rough demos will get, until eventually they won't be rough demos at all ;)

Great stuff

Darren

RJDG14

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 02:54:38 PM »
Hello RJDG!

Good concise lyric writing and I like how they are sung in the track. I've listened a few times now and the song is good in my opinion. It does suffer from the production but I'm sure there a few simple things that would help clean it up a little.

The drums, like you say, are out of sync with the rest of the music and I found them quite distracting. I think for a rough demo you could leave them out entirely as your guitar playing kept the rhythm very well. You are a good guitar player and this shows in the track and you have a good sense of timing and rhythm.

The vocal could use a little boost. I'm not great with mixing so not sure where the issue lies with it but it just sounded quiet and muffled behind the instruments. The melody is great and I really like the harmonies. I felt the chorus needed something extra to make it rise out from the verses. You could try some harmonies in the chorus too? or double the vocal? Some of the others here will hopefully point you in the direction mix wise to help lift the chorus.

On the whole - great potential here and the more you practice with recording the cleaner these rough demos will get, until eventually they won't be rough demos at all ;)

Great stuff

Darren

If it had a decent production value, what would it remind you of most?

Also, I'm definitely not a good guitarist, especially given I can't play solos of any kind. I don't know why you thought that...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:45:06 AM by RJDG14 »

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 07:09:18 PM »
If it had a decent production value, what would it remind you of most?

Also, I'm definitely not a good guitarist, especially given I can't play solos of any kind. I don't know why you thought that...

Hmm I really don't know...it does remind me of something in terms of sound but not sure what, could just be from listening to it the other day :P sorry can't help there.

and yeah there's more to guitar than solos. Some of the great guitar players are those that keep the rhythm.

Thanks

Darren