konalavadome

Top 5 Songwriting Techniques! (What are yours?)

• 14 Replies

Outss

• Busker
« on: August 23, 2017, 02:15:57 PM »
Whats up everyone. So recently I've been doing videos covering things music-related. The latest one is about the creative process; what helps one gather that spark for writing the songs? From personal experience it can be a number of different things, and most of the time find myself juggling between different ways of starting the song. Although I do think this is how one could avoid writers block, by having many techniques in their arsenal! The video is below let me know if you agree with me or not. What are your useful techniques? let me know!

I do songs, Vlogs and beats that are H o t

www.youtube.com/outss1

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:20:40 AM »
My number one tip is always be searching out new influences and listen to as many new songs as you can. I don't believe that any songwriter is not inspired by some other musical influence even if it is subconscious. Seek out new music wherever you can.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
Play different instruments. If you are capable, play guitar, piano, bass, whatever; they will all suggest different progressions to you.
However, if you only play guitar, let's say, find a different guitar to play every now and then. Different guitars/pianos/etc. all asked to be played their own way, as well.
Whatever you can do to keep it fresh for yourself and find new ways around the same 12 notes.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:54:15 PM »
Keep your eyes and ears open. If you are open to an overheard conversation, a misheard lyric, an abandoned shoe in a park, a new hospital, an unplanned train journey through a strange country, then you'll have an endless flow of ideas...

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:07:55 PM »
Keep your eyes and ears open. If you are open to an overheard conversation, a misheard lyric, an abandoned shoe in a park, a new hospital, an unplanned train journey through a strange country, then you'll have an endless flow of ideas...

That's the best advice. Keep yourself open, curious and observant.

M

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:16:00 PM »
What they said.   ALWAYS open and looking hard for interesting starting points.  And not just story line lyrical starting points.  Music can be taken any number of directions from a common starting point. 

I will make the point that if you have to be TOLD to be constantly looking, the songwriting thing probably isn't going to work out.  You have to already have that in you in my opinion.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 01:17:49 AM »
Hmm this is a hard question. I have five, but these aren't necessarily in order of importance.

1) Listen to lots and lots of music. Maybe genres that make you uncomfortable or that you just plain don't like. All sorts of weird stuff. Try and absorb as much as possible because if you listen to one artist or one genre forever, your music will stagnate and become boring.

2) LEARN THE RULES. This isn't in regards to music theory, but more song structure. Study pop music, study classic rock, study hip-hop - write it over and over and over again to the best of your ability. And this doesn't just go for people who are trying to make commercial recordings, or trying to break the pop charts. Even if you want to be the most insane musical maverick this century, you have to know what makes genre music sound the way it does, and what makes it work, before you can successfully destroy these definitions and make whatever avant garde discofusion deathdrone you want to make. The only reason totally mad music works is because the artist knows the rules, and is deliberately turning them on their head.

3) Melody first, words after. This has always been my general rule and for people who want to write inventive, catchy and surprising melodies, I cannot stress it enough. Unless I am writing folk or something that is very wordy where the main focus is the lyrics, this is my method. There's nothing wrong with coming up with a line or two as a starting point and constructing a song around that, but generally coming up with a tune without the restriction of the words is your best bet for writing inventive melodies because you write independently of preconceived structures.

4) Write every day, especially if you are just starting out. Even if you throw away everything you write and think it's utter crap, keep writing. Eventually you'll hit your own flow. I keep (ie use in live sets, finish basic song, record or commit to memory) maybe 20% of everything I write, but song writing is an exercise in logic as well as creativity and it helps to use those muscles just like any other past time. If you can't already, eventually you'll be able to sit down and write how you want, and if you're really, really lucky in your own, distinctive style.

5) Finally, there's nothing wrong with wearing your influences on your sleeve. David Bowie once called himself a 'tasteful thief'. The real knack to art in this day and age is knowing what to steal and how to incorporate all these different elements in to something cohesive. That's what's fun. When I write I don't even worry about people saying to me, "Well, you've clearly gotten that from here." I'll just say, "So what?"
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

MjayP

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 08:05:35 AM »

5) Finally, there's nothing wrong with wearing your influences on your sleeve. David Bowie once called himself a 'tasteful thief'. The real knack to art in this day and age is knowing what to steal and how to incorporate all these different elements in to something cohesive. That's what's fun. When I write I don't even worry about people saying to me, "Well, you've clearly gotten that from here." I'll just say, "So what?"

I’m so happy you mention this. All the best songwriters have done it. There’s a world of difference between ripping off an entire song, and incorporating something small like a bass line, or a rhythm, etc.

More often than not, this happens unconsciously. Something you might only notice once a song is fully formed.

Another thing that happens to me is, if I listen to a song, and am really in the zone, I’ll get ideas for a new direction in which to take it.  Almost like a new bridge. Often this is so different to the original song, that it could never be considered plagiarism.

Also, never throw away your ideas. Stuff you can’t finish today, might suddenly make sense one day in the future. This happened with one of my recently made songs. I’d written the foundations about 10 years ago, but only just put it together last month. It’s actually one of my best complimented tracks, too! Would never have happened had I not spotted it in an old notebook. Going over your old ideas is great for writers’ block.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
Some good ideas here. I agree with adamfarr when it comes to lyrics and general topics. You have to be observant and open to get new ideas. Sometimes you'll do just fine with your experiences so far but ordinary life often needs a new perspective to be noteworthy outside of just being introverted.

My favorite technique is to remember that in a way music is air that moves and concepts and constructed rules regarding it. Don't waste your time doing 'this' or 'that', tend to that little spark of fulfillment that I hope music gives you and keep listening.

josemar

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 11:37:58 PM »
Maybe finish your songs; cause in 2/3 years time. You probably will see/hear improvement.....
I finish every song now....
Big deal if it turns out crap...so what...
Seek feedback...

Oldbutyet

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 03:59:40 AM »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »
Hmm, very interesting reading the previous posts, and it's got me wanting to try new things, thanks admafarr and jack simmons.

Usually I sit on an instrument (yes it does help if you can tinker on more than one) and just try ideas, when something promising comes along I record it on my phone so I don't miss anything.

I often hear lyrics in my head or in a podcast, or overheard (ala adamafrr) I always add them to a lyrics list on my phone.

Today as I was walking to work I saw an empty mattesons roast chicken packet lying by the side of the path, to me it symbolised so much...processed food, litter, the culture of waste & plastic. So much inspiration, so I look a photo of it, and might even write a song, with that photo as the image in SC, who knows, I might not. This is sort of thing that sparks my inspiration.

For EDM tracks, they usually are very different process, much more structured.

I also use a McCartney trick of merging ideas into songs (A day in the life was a famous example), I used this technique on the song the 'In these Early Hours', so keep all the ideas, even if you think they aren't going anywhere as a song.

My main tips when writing lyrics are

a. Be inspired, so you'r not just writing something like 'baby I'm so alone - your'e on the phone'
b. Be personal - if it matters to you, then people will hear it in both the lyrics and how you deliver the vocal and want to listen.
c. Stray off the norm - change the meter of the lyric, don't try to rhyme every line.
d. When you've written the first line, write all the possible rhyming words nearby, that might trigger your ideas.

Hope this helps

cpm

Johnnyuk

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 07:52:21 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:33:45 PM by Johnnyuk »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 08:22:16 AM »
Johnny UK, great tips.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 09:13:19 AM »
Love no.1 - we all sometimes need practice in starting from melody and working from there rather than sitting a melody on top of a progression...