Play To The Dark - Need advice for chorus of Rock Song

• 3 Replies

james96555

• Busker
« on: August 20, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've put this song together in full to see how it sounds, the recording isn't super great quality but its the best I can do with the equipment I have at the moment.

Its a heavy rock song which is meant to be about how rock music isn't so mainstream these days and is considered a bit weird if your into it (especially as a younger person). Maybe its being sung to someone who isn't approving of you liking that sort of music, like a parent for instance.

One question I have is do you think the lead vocals on the chorus are enough by themselves, the melody for the chorus is quite high so its maybe not strong enough by itself over the low guitar riffs. Maybe it could do with lower backing vocals.

Play To The Dark: https://soundcloud.com/user-947899613/play-to-the-dark/s-E1Ihd

Otherwise I hope you enjoy and thanks for taking the time to listen. ;D

Lyrics:

We can keep on going
Show no signs of slowing
Get us out the way
If you had your say.

Well we don’t care
Cause life’s not fair
We’ll just carry on pretending you’re not here

CHORUS
We know we’re
unwelcome, around
here, its in your
stare, but not a
surprise.
We know we’re
unwelcome, in this
place, it’s on your
face, and in your
eyes.
We know.

We’re not going to quit
End it or submit
You want us to finish,
die and diminish

Well we don’t care
Cause life’s not fair
Turn the lights off so we can play to the dark

CHORUS x2

Any suggestions welcome,
Thanks - James

Gill

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:49:58 PM »
Hi and welcome, the song has a great presence as it is but I think the main vocal should be a little louder as its quite hard to hear them, at least from my end? I'm sure lower backing vocals wont hurt. Nice song tho 8)

james96555

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 12:02:38 AM »
Hi and welcome, the song has a great presence as it is but I think the main vocal should be a little louder as its quite hard to hear them, at least from my end? I'm sure lower backing vocals wont hurt. Nice song tho 8)

Hi Fhaos

I agree with you that the vocals could be louder. I think adding lower backing vocals would help the vocals compete more with the instrumentation as you suggest.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:15:49 PM »
Where's the kick drum? needs turning up a bit and I reckon the song is in the wrong key for your vocal..reduce the key so's you can sing the chorus...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!