konalavadome

A little feedback and input from you guys...?

• 6 Replies

James Hester

• Busker
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:33:04 AM »
Hi there -

I've already posted a brief intro in the 'Introductions' section so I hope that will serve as an explanation to my questions below.

As a freelance drummer, I'm keen to get your input into me trying to do my job better.

Hope you can help me out?

1. On average, how many of your songs wil end up with a session band replacing the parts?

2. If you use session players, do you just use a drummer, bass player, whole band or another mixture?

3. Do you tend to use the same people in the sessions?

4. What stops you replacing programmed parts with real players?

5. If you could use session players, would you?

6. Would the format of: a) letting a drummer come up with a rough demo and emailing a stereo mix b) discussing any changes to the part c)drummer rerecords drum part and sends individual stems + a stereo mix be something that would work for you guys and gals or is there another format that would suit?

7. Does what the drummers (or other musician) arsenal of gear bother you? i.e. - would you need a full list of drums, cymbals, recording gear etc?

8. What other thoughts do you have about remote recording using sessions players?

9. What level of cost would you think reasonable per track (as an average not-too-complex track)

10. How valuable do you feel a sessions players connection with your track is? For instance I like to have a copy of the lyrics, discuss the approach (is it a story, a statement - check out James Taylors 'Fire and Rain' for great story telling drums or again, James Taylors 'How Sweet It Is' for great statement style playing. Or have things like this never crossed your mind?

11. Do you have any other thoughts on this area at all?

-- The reason I ask is that I have done some remote work for a guy in the States over the last few years and I've been getting some more enquiries in this area from artists, labels and producers in regards to demos and album tracks so I just wanted to see your thoughts on this so I could set out something a little more solid and business-like.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, all!!

James Hester jameshester.co.uk

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »
1. On average, how many of your songs wil end up with a session band replacing the parts?
In an ideal world, all of them! In a realistic one, as many as I can afford, which is none at the moment... :(

2. If you use session players, do you just use a drummer, bass player, whole band or another mixture?
Probably just a drummer as I can do most other bits by myself and with friends

Depends on the end result I think - not got this far yet

Lack of funds & connexions

Hell yes

6. Would the format of: a) letting a drummer come up with a rough demo and emailing a stereo mix b) discussing any changes to the part c)drummer rerecords drum part and sends individual stems + a stereo mix be something that would work for you guys and gals or is there another format that would suit?
Sounds as good an approach as any

7. Does what the drummers (or other musician) arsenal of gear bother you? i.e. - would you need a full list of drums, cymbals, recording gear etc?
Not bothered about gear, except for quality of recording. Having said that I know next to nothing about recording drums. I just know when I hear the right sound

8. What other thoughts do you have about remote recording using sessions players?
I think it's a great way to put tracks together on a limited time & money budget. My only reservation would be that in an ideal world I'd want all the players together for a recording

9. What level of cost would you think reasonable per track (as an average not-too-complex track)
For drums? Again, I'm not in the know, but I'd throw a dart in the board at £50-60. Depends how good the drummer is, and how good the recordings are I suppose

10. How valuable do you feel a sessions players connection with your track is? For instance I like to have a copy of the lyrics, discuss the approach (is it a story, a statement - check out James Taylors 'Fire and Rain' for great story telling drums or again, James Taylors 'How Sweet It Is' for great statement style playing. Or have things like this never crossed your mind?
Most important of all. As a songwriter, one of the things I've always struggled with is players not listening to the song when they write their parts. Or not being sympathetic to the song. Of course, now you've referenced those two amazing JT tracks, I'm going to have to get you playing on some of my songs!

-- The reason I ask is that I have done some remote work for a guy in the States over the last few years and I've been getting some more enquiries in this area from artists, labels and producers in regards to demos and album tracks so I just wanted to see your thoughts on this so I could set out something a little more solid and business-like.

Not off the top of my head, but I'll post again if I think of anything
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »

- The ones with drums

Drums only

mostly

I dont use programmed parts

If I could have orchestras, strings etc I would use them. But as I dont, I dont bother writing songs that call for it.
Drums are the only instrument I use that I dont play so I shop them out (until we get a dedicated drummer)

Thats how I work, but I'm increasingly not interested in the stereo mix. I like to send the drummer any ideas I have - either written out or programmed

Knowing the signal chain (mics and preamps) they have at their disposal would be useful. Then we could talk about using certain mic/pre combinations to suit different music. Knowing their gear and room would also help me decide if they had resonable prices.

It's worked out well for me, although of course I would rather have a dedicated drummer!

It depends on your expertise and the level of equipment and most importantly, the acoustics of the room you are recording in. For a standard drummer in a home studio, I reckon £30-50. If you are just starting out then I say, find bands you like and do it for free, after a while they might be more than willing to pay you more than that if you are good. Or they might have some success and want you along.

I dont think going so far as to analyse the lyrics are important, but it's important that the drummer enjoys the music and understands what the final result you are after is.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:54:23 PM by Ramshackles »

James Hester

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 02:04:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies chaps - some interesting points to bear in mind.

Im intrigued that my knowing anything about the vibe of the song etc doesn't seem important Ramshackle - it's always helped me come up with parts and vibe - even beat placement for sessions so I guess it's horses for courses!

I guess theres going to be a mixture of technical criteria, songwriting/musical approaches and concerns and price that need to be ironed out here?

Thanks for all the input so far - I'd be interested in knowing any other thought of this particular area?

JH

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 02:25:48 PM »
The vibe of the song is only important to a point - I dont think you need to know everything about it and all the lyrics. How many songs do you like that you know every single word of? As long as you enjoy the song and playing for it, it's good. And that will make it easier to understand what is required for the drums.

Pictures are also important to me - pictures of where you will be recording. The room is the single most important thing when recording drums (behind the actual drummer). I think for the purposes of doing online services, as you would potentially be recording all different types of music you need a very dry room. That will allow the artist/mixer to add the necessary reverb. If you have a beautiful sounding room, thats good but you need to be clear that your drums come with natural 'verb.
The type of drums you have available are important, and the mic's you can use to a certain extent. 

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 05:35:16 PM »
check out James Taylors 'Fire and Rain' for great story telling drums or again, James Taylors 'How Sweet It Is' for great statement style playing
Sorry to sidetrack this thread a little, but did you see the songwriter programmes on BBC4 on Friday night. Was very interesting to see that JT's band ended up playing sessions for pretty much everyone else in the scene at that time. I think this ability to support and carry the song with real empathy was the key to this.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

James Hester

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
I know this is a bit of a post from the past but I've been meaning to post this link to my site for ages and I keep forgetting!

http://www.jameshester.co.uk/remote-recording-sessions/

Just a link to it as I had bought it up on here some time ago and I took on board some of the points raised. Still nice and busy there so it's generally a site for people to be directed to via recommendation really, more then anything else.

Thanks for the replies I had on this and happy 'songwriting'!

JH