konalavadome

Sennheiser E835 mics

• 5 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:53:59 AM »
In your opinion, is this  (the Sennheiser in the subject line) a decent mic for performing live? Or is Shure SM58 better? Or something else entirely? In the same price range.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:34:26 AM »
As far as I can tell, they're fairly evenly matched. I've never used the sennheiser, but the online reviews seem very favourable. Whatever your reason for not using the SM58 I'm sure this mic will be a good alternative. Where and when is your gig Vicki? :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 07:53:41 AM »
YES, The E835 is a decent mic for live performance and definitely on a par with the "industry standard" SM58

I think the only decision to make is which mic suits YOU and YOUR VOICE the best

I personally use the SM58 Beta for my live vocals and it has never let me down - both by working and in terms of quality of sound
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
Thank you, Tone and Boydie.

1. My reason for choosing the Sennheiser turns out not to be valid--I want mics with on-off switches. The SM58 I was looking at didn't have one, but I see there is a slightly higher-priced one that does have the switch, so never mind about that detail.

2. I have recently started practicing with two other women, and we have a sort of gig coming up on October 22 for a Bahá'í event. We're entertainment for the event, but we're not the event ourselves.

3. I doubt I'll have a chance to compare how the two mics sound to me. There is a small music store about 100 miles from me, but I don't think they would open packages and let me try them. I could try a pawn shop in the same town, but their selection isn't great at any given moment, so I don't know if they would have anything to try. I could look, though.

I already have two Shure mics, but they're about 30 years old. The interior wind screen has crumbled to dust in one of them and the other one quit working. I have taken the interior wind screen out of the non-working one and put it in the one that still works, but we would still need two more mics. So I'm shopping.

Thanks for the input.

Vicki

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:36 AM »
Sennheiser makes good stuff, as does Shure.......there are so many good microphones out there these days.  My choice is the Telefunken M80 dynamic.  This mic has a very uncolored sound with no proximity effect, which boosts mid and low-mid frequencies, a hallmark of many of Shure's mics, the SM58 in particular.  Of course it varies with the vocalist and how they work a microphone, but this boost in the mids can muddy things up.  I like the very natural tone and clarity of the M80......pretty much your voice as it is.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:01:21 AM »
Hey Buc! The Telefunken sounds like a good one and I'm sure I would like it...but I have to buy at least two, and I can't justify that much money on more music equipment at the moment. :( Maybe next time, though! ;D