contact conspiracy..

• 6 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
I was in Klangfarbe music shop in Vienna a few days a go
 (yeah, strange name for a music shop, it means instrumental timbre or tone colour) so not so strange in Austria then ;D
and struck up a conversation with a Musician who said he had a lot of good contacts for pitching songs, so I asked if i could have a few and he immediately clammed up, didn't wanna give me any contact info,
I've come across this a few times and was just wondering..are they afraid of competition or what?

maybe us musicians have to find our own contacts and not help another musician, is that how it is?

I'm a pro photographer and often give loads of contacts to other pro's...

so ??? ???

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »
I think it is a case of people wanting to brag and the whole "I know something you don't" kind of thing

I do not think the sharing of contact information would actually help anyway as any approach you make would still be "unsolicited" - all of the contact information you could want is freely available

The exception to this is when someone else digs your music and is prepared to "introduce" you to their publisher, music supervisor, music library etc.

In this case they are effectively "vouching" for you as both a writer and as a person as they would not want to risk their own reputation/relationship by introducing someone who is not a good writer or difficult to work with

The best way to get this type of introduction is to collab with someone that is already signed - and the bast way to do this is to simply ask, the worst they can do is say no!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »
I think Boydie has a point. Partly maybe it's because publishers and gate keepers get such volume of unsolicited submissions that those already with a foot in the door don't want to annoy their contact by referring people on - especially if they haven't heard the music yet.

Also, I think some people work extremely hard to establish a few contacts on the inside that they develop a 'do it yourself' attitude. In other words, if I can spend 50 hours emailing, phoning, writing, hassling to get a foot in the door then so can you.

It's a funny old business I suppose.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 01:02:57 PM »
He could've been just bragging, sure. Or...he was just being protective of contact info he himself probably spent years trying to get.

Either way, here's what happened to me a long time ago. It emphasises what Boydie and Tone already stated.

I once helped a friend out after he'd begged me for days to play one of his songs to the publisher I worked with at the time. I gave in, thinking I was a good friend, though I didn't believe in the song and received this answer from my publisher. "Peter, I value your work and time! When you present a song of yours I will listen. When you present a song of a buddy of yours you recommend, I will listen. But try give me shit like this one more time, as it clearly indicates you don't value my work and time, and I will stop! Any questions?!!".

You might understand I was a bit more restricted in what or who I presented after that.

I would never give contact info to somebody who's work I don't know. In the music biz it could mean you're suddenly on the outside of the door it took you 10 years to get inside of.

If it's something I truly believe in?!? Well that's a completely different matter of course.

My 0.2

Peter
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:09:23 PM by The S »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »
Interesting points you make guys..never thought of it like that...it's different in photography because they're not being recommended by me, they've just got the contact...
I have tried looking all over the net for contacts but they all seem to want money..sure sign of a scam I think...maybe :)

cheers :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Oldbutyet

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 04:52:28 PM »
I guess in this day and age of the Internet it would be wise to keep any music contacts that one might have to themselves and going by what im reading you two were complete strangers, i think the best thing to do in situation like that is to mention your soundcloud page or wherever site you have your songs on even write it down on a piece of paper and ask him to have a listen, and maybe if he thinks his contacts would like let them know, that way then no one is breaking anyone's trust.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »
I have tried looking all over the net for contacts but they all seem to want money..sure sign of a scam I think...maybe Smiley

What are you looking for?

A few seconds on google should get you the company info you need and then a polite phone call should get you a name

There are also directories out there and paid for pitching services (e.g. Songlink) but most will not give you any advantage as your submission will still be "unsolicited" so may not even get listened to - but you will get details of people that are looking for material
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic