VST Instruments

• 10 Replies

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
I'm wondering - how many people use VST instruments (virtual instruments - pianos, orchestras, acoustic drums, bass) in their music and for what reason?

I'm talking about samples/vst's of real instruments (whether you use computer sounds that are supposed to sound like computer sounds - synths or electric drums and such, is a different matter).

Are they something you add after you have recorded the main part, or do you write with a specific VST in mind?

Kafla

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »
I write mainly on the guitar, I normally write little chord sequences, lots of different one, recording them on phone computer , whatever

I then try and join these little parts up - I find that this creates little twists and turns in the song rather than write verse, bridge, chorus, middle 8.

I would then transfer it to PC and start tinkering with VST's, I find when its on computer I can mess around with different keys etc

I like to keep an open mind with regard to sound - I kind of let myself be lead by the music. So the VST gets added afterwards by me. I usually just start building a song up so it can sound completely different to what I had intended in my head

Forgiveness was a song that was intended to be an acoustic ballad with perhaps a harmonica but I got carried away

I use VST's as I cant play any instruments really apart from guitar (and thats debatable) I can find my way around a keyboard but would struggle to play this in a live setting, although I am getting better. Thats why I love using VST's as you can have as many takes as you like, change little notes, break a difficult part into 2-3 tracks

occasionally I sketch a song out on the computer and would normally arrange the whole thing first and then add melody, backing vocals, this tends to lead to more synth sounds

I do play everything though generally, I haven't used many samples and don't know if this is something I should get into or not

Oliver_SoundShoots

• Busker
    • SoundShoots
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »
Hi!

I usually use VSTs after I've recorded the main parts of a track. I usually find that the right VSTs can add great tone and depth if used in the right way.

If you have the patients it is of course possible to make the VSTs the centre of attention but I find this just a bit too fiddly and to my mind a track can feel a bit 'fake' if you go ott with them.   
SoundShoots-a new creative outlet
http://www.soundshoots.com/

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 06:39:58 PM »
100% VSTs. Can't play anything real, certainly don't have access to an orchestra. I use Logic's EXS24 sampler for bass, drums and strings, sometimes use the Sound Sculpture plug in for bass and other more exotic percussion instruments. And this year started using Native Instruments Guitar Rig for electric guitars.

Next year I'm going to get piano lessons, so that I can play something that's solid enough to stub your toe on!

Chris

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 03:44:45 PM »
I've used VSTs on some of my demos mainly for reasons of economy.  Studio time is expensive (even at a mate's studio) and it's a lot quicker.  The same goes for home recording (as I'm sure it does for most people).

I would rather use real instruments in 100% of the cases, same as I would rather record analogue than digital, but until a record lable is paying for my studio time, or I build my own studio, then VSTs it is, and digital recording!

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »
I've used VSTs on some of my demos mainly for reasons of economy.  Studio time is expensive (even at a mate's studio) and it's a lot quicker.  The same goes for home recording (as I'm sure it does for most people).

I would rather use real instruments in 100% of the cases, same as I would rather record analogue than digital, but until a record lable is paying for my studio time, or I build my own studio, then VSTs it is, and digital recording!

Mm, yes, I used to use VST instruments fairly heavily in my songs, but I finally started approaching them with the manner that 'a good song would be good whatever I play it on, and all these embellishments with VST can be over the top'. So now I use only the instruments I have - acoustic/electric guitars, bass, piano. I go to a drummer for the drums and occasionally use a friends organ and mandolin. I think it forces you to think more about the arrangement and the actual melody/lyrics of the song. It also forces you to get more creative with the sounds to offer something different, rather than just turning to a vst of some funky instrument. For me, it's more folk/indie, which really calls for a natural, stripped back 'human' sound. Many great pieces of music are all on VST's/synths.

As for analogue - I have a few outboard effects and a Revox Reel-to-reel machine which I use quite regularly. However, I never record only to tape. I find that digital is just much more flexible. If I want the 'tape' sound then I pass tracks through the revox and back to the DAW, which I think is a great way to get the best of both worlds :)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:36:50 PM »
I'd never used them till a couple of days ago. In the right place I think they can add to a song. I'm a Depeche Mode fan, so it comes with the territory.
Can't see any real difference between an organ and a midi keyboard with synth plug-in - aren't they both just processing an electric signal of some sort? Bit different with guitar as the tone really comes from the fingers - couldn't envisage ever using a guitar vst. Would love real drums, but I'm stuck with electronic.
Agree with the other comments about price and accessibility. When you're an amateur, and it's just a hobby you've got to make best use of what you can.
What it all boils down to is does it sound good or not.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:14:01 PM »
I'd never used them till a couple of days ago. In the right place I think they can add to a song. I'm a Depeche Mode fan, so it comes with the territory.
Can't see any real difference between an organ and a midi keyboard with synth plug-in - aren't they both just processing an electric signal of some sort? Bit different with guitar as the tone really comes from the fingers - couldn't envisage ever using a guitar vst. Would love real drums, but I'm stuck with electronic.
Agree with the other comments about price and accessibility. When you're an amateur, and it's just a hobby you've got to make best use of what you can.
What it all boils down to is does it sound good or not.
Well it depends on the kind of organ - an electric organ for sure would sound pretty much the same in vst format. Something like a church organ, or a hammond organ through a leslie speaker would be difficult to fully realise.
For me, price and accessibility - or at least price is a contentious issue. Good sounding VST's are very expensive. E.G Trillian - probably the top bass guitar VST is around £300. For that price, I'd just buy a bass. But granted, if an orchestra is crucial to your song and studio sessions are out, then VST is the way for sure. Although these are typically not less than £500 for a full version.
Of course, VST's I think are great for electric instruments - classic keyboards and stuff. You can have great sounds while only requiring 1 keyboard

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
Hi Ram,

Never knew the Vsts cost so much - food for thought. I've just been playing around with the ones that came with Ableton. It's more for atmosphere effects that I'm interested.
Cheers,

Digger

chrislong170273

• Open Mic
    • Chris Long: Composer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
suppose it depends on what you are trying to achieve. VST instruments are just another tool in the studio. Use them if its appropriate.

Drums and bass, i use MIDI all the time (Redrum and bass samples). But i also use bass guitar
i do percussion live. Combined midi drums and live percussion gives a natural feel to a programmed track.

i do guitars live, i NEVER try to midi/vst cos they sound crap.
Piano played live but not an acoustic piano, I use either a Roland stage piano or electric piano
i do any other stringed instruments live (mandolin, violin etc)

and THEN, if i need anything else i use VST. I wouldn;t try to create an orchestral sound without an orchestra. But i may use pads, tring pads, synth pads, etc.

but surely all of this is linked to style? someone writing dance music will use a lot more soft synths and vst stuff than a rock musician.
And also linked to available resources?

Chris
www.chrislong.me.uk

www.chrislong.me.uk
@ChrisLongCOMP

DailyDean

• Busker
  • I'm Dean and I'm mean
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
Like Kafla, I tend to write melodies by jamming on guitar since I don't even have a midi keyboard. All I have is a guitar and a low standard iMic input which I record into Garageband.
My "acoustic" drums are VST, even my bass is VST, which actually sounds better than me using my guitar and manipulating its pitch and EQ. But recently I haven't used a guitar at all, so my current music is purely VST. Funnily enough i've been using this Jam Pack with an orchestra on it. It can sound a little synthetic on its own, but I tend to use it for layering. I'd never imagine myself recording all these instruments for real. Also since I suck at mixing, I'd rather be able to adjust and re-adjust the tones of the instruments, rather than recording and re-recording.

It think the beauty of it is that you haven't got to learn the instrument and it's generally cheaper, but then you have less control over velocity, style of playing, personal touch etc. Since I don't even have a midi keyboard, I'll sometimes have to just play the melody in my head and click the notes in, or jam it on my computer keyboard (which is only limited to just over one octave at a time). But then again I'd rather keep to VSTs, I wouldn't have the patience to micing and recording real instruments, especially when I use alot in my music. My mate took me on a studio trip which he got from a groupon voucher and the recording process just seemed WAY too stressful for me. I couldn't imagine being inspired to develop music in that sort of environment, I'd rather stick to my bedroom.

I know most pros generally use lots of different VST programs together and even that I can't get my head around. Do you guys use lots of VSTs on your computer or do you just stick to one like Reason?.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:50:11 AM by DailyDean »