Modern World

• 10 Replies

Viva La Stereo

• Open Mic
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:01:44 PM »
So it's been quite a while since I posted anything here. Life has been pretty hectic lately. Anyway, I've been focusing a lot on the crafting of the songs and my vocals. This song is fairly basic but I just had the urge to record a one guitar one voice song, rather passionate and raw. I recorded the thing in one take, which isn't normally my process but I think I captured something with this one that may be rather hard to capture again.

https://soundcloud.com/vivalastereo/modern-world

Say it again, don't fall apart now
Pull yourself together, let it glow
Say it again, let the words flow
There are steps to take, and I'm here

I wont go anywhere
I wont go anywhere, too far
I drink a lot of wine
Just to pass the time
Oh, lets listen to the modern world

Just breathe, the thunder is far away
Just ask me once love and I’ll stay
Just breathe, let the pain flow
There are words to know and I’m here

I wont go anywhere
I wont go anywhere, too fast
I drink a lot of wine
Just to pass the time
Oh, lets listen to the modern world

VERSE 2

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:31:07 PM »
Great stuff, Viva. And what a take :) Vocals are fab, and you just keep getting better.  Feels just brill, and yes - powerful.
I had a muted TV on in the background as i listened to this, and your song really leant itself to the random imagery of modern mankind playing in the background. Loved it.
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 02:22:25 PM »
you got something fragile yet powerful in your songs
and you seem to capture this with ease.
where I with mine try to work too hard

it's often a must to listen to your uploads.

there seem to be improvements with the production.
you soound generally more confident, wiser

well Done!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:26:17 PM by Rightly »
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:03:48 PM »
Hi Viva

You have a brilliant and unique voice. Very expressive and really suits the style of music. You have a nice clean take on the guitar and vocal that make me envious! It's a really clear nice sound.

This is one of those that gets better with each listen. It's a captivating set of lyrics and performance. With just guitar and vocal you could still a crowd - Do you perform live? You should, IMO.

Great performance.

Darren

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »
Hi Viva, I really like your vocal delivery and style. It's powerful and emotional and you've got a good range.

The lyrics are good, and expression the emotion well.

I likes this acoustically but could imagine it with a big production as well

Nice work  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:20:25 PM »
Really like the line 'let's listen to the modern world'.  As others have said, you have a really really emotive voice, very powerful (reminded me a little bit of the way Robyn Hitchcock sings).  Nice work!
It's all too beautiful.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »
Yo Viva.

You are definitely improving leaps and bounds with your singing. Charged with emotion and conviction,you carry the listener along on your own self belief.

Shifting,phasing imagery is everpresent in your lyrics and always a treat to read.

I wasn't fussed on the discordant lead passage at the end,but hey that's just my opinion,you can't please everyone.  :)

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 07:37:41 AM »
Hello;

emotional performances are great; i think it s a little too much here. But hey; it came across; your message :)

It reminds me sooo much of "Madrugada"

(brrrrr....almost too sad to listen to...)

singing , songwriting etc...a great reference, i think :)

peace

B

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »
Hey Viva,

Nice to see you about.

Right up my street. DIfficult to categorise what I mean.. I think; letting the emotion dictate the rest of the song? How you feel comes first kind of thing, the rest is to support that.

Could risk losing a bit of structure and finesse, but this has a kind of raging feel whilst also keeping that repetition in pattern to help it stick in brain!

The "say it again" and "just breathe" lines hit really hard which I dig, and then bringing in some lovely flow with the chorus, love how "I drink a lot of wine just ot pass the time" comes out. :)

If we're being honest I was caught off guard first time around - but I feel it's a style on it's own to write songs the listener has to put a bit of work in to get something out of - and it's humbling once appreciated. I'm many listens in now and it's a great journey.

Keep it up, and thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Scott.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 02:03:53 AM »
I went searching for another one of your songs to review, because I knew I'd like it, so it would be easy.  :)

I love the tone of your voice. Beautiful guitar playing. I liked where it got weird at the end. Sounded great to me.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »
There is fragility yet power in your delivery if that makes sense. My first impression was that of Michael Stipe, but you very much have your own style. Great idea to let the song stand or fall by itself without doing a real production number - it stands - but I really think it would be worth polishing up because it is a strong song.