• 30 Replies

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
A good time for my mantra:

Songs are written
Good songs are "re-written"
Great songs are re-writes of good songs

Been keeping a tab on this thread as I have found it fascinating to read all your comments about song writing. Really interesting stuff. This one above by Boydie has really stuck with me!

I've recently been listening to old demos of tracks by one of my faves (GnR - a bit love hate I know..) and it surprises me how much a song is re written before the final song is ready. Take a group of talented people, stick them in a room for enough time and they will write songs. Practice and play these songs many times and they will become refined. Demo them and you have a good song. Take them to a studio and have them sliced and spliced and worked on by a pro producer. Take and retake, tweak where necessary, pare down and refine the solos and with the right chemistry bam you have a great song. Obviously the processes change depending on genre but there ain't one song I have written where I haven't had to go back and edit. These words have inspired me to re work some old song and although the process is slow and difficult it has also been fun and rewarding.