konalavadome

Little Miss Monochrome

• 22 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: August 03, 2017, 11:48:15 PM »
We all know them,don't we.

The joy vampires,the leeches of the soul,those who delight to piss on yer chips,the schadenfreude celebrators amongst us.   :(

This song may encapsulate the female variety,but this trait is not gender specific in any way,as eny fule no. Miserable is miserable.

Hope you enjoy the miserable song.  :)

I'll permit dancing to this one,but only late in the day and only wearing the darkest of Goth gear.

I used my son's 6 string bass as a rhythm guitar on this one....just because I could.  :D
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/little-miss-monochrome/s-xDdcB
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:51:22 PM by Skub »

giitlesriddles

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:58:59 PM »
Damn! I love the bass as a rhythm guitar tho I was expecting a darker tone. Still the lyrics are pretty great and this song ooozes david bowie! I dig! Very neat in the production and I love the arpegiated synth. This is super up beat for a song about sad people, especially that guitar solo? Is that a tele?
I like how the guitar plays over the words at the end. Great Work!

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 12:06:01 AM »
Damn, part 2. Those guitars, man. S-wwww-eeet. Fab stuff. :)
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 01:22:46 AM »
Skubby!

Nice one - love those subdued harmonies and the poppy lead vox.
Lyrics are spot on too - great word economy!
And the guitars, oh the guitars - worth far more than the price of admission fo sho!
I'm still humming that hook  ;D

Paul

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 06:48:53 AM »
up and up the level goes..good pop song with interesting bits...nice guitar work..just thought the vocal was a bit too loud ...

cheers, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 08:19:38 AM »
Very good. Very catchy and a joy to listen to it. As other said the guitars are fab. I like the lyrics and the idea and they work really well, despite the minimalism. Only nit is the word Kodachrome. Been a fair few years since Kodachrome was around, this is the age of digital. I'm not sure what the replacement would be, or if it's needed, but it did jump out at me.

Derek
West Country Country Boy

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
This is great, Davy...

Tootles along very nicely and the guitars are beautiful. I really liked the drums too...is that Logic Pro's "drummer" thing? It sounds brilliant...but that's as much to do with what you've done around it as the drums themselves...knits together lovely anyway, whatever it is  :D

Fun lyrics too...the whole nine.

An excellent pop record, as they used to say.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »
Hi Skub, had a Bowie esque feel to it, which I enjoyed. Liked the instrumentation and arrangement. Nicely played too, loved the guitar solo very sultans of swing ;). You just keep on writing them, coz u can! ;D
Great stuff as usual!
Cheers
Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 05:15:59 PM »
This is a great piece of catchy, upbeat, melodic pop. Great lyrics, cleverly constructed. That six string bass is sounding lovely as are all the guitars. You sound more and more like the Big O all the time which is wonderful. Harmonies work a treat. Another slice of absolute quality Davy. Hey yer knocking out a lot of stuff these days. Bet you're glad you went into DAW land  :)

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »
Hi Skub

Another great track, as has been said the guitar work is top notch as usual, like the vocals too, some nice harmonies in there, a little quiet behind the guitar towards the end but thats the only criticism I have.

Nice job, Mikey

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 08:51:09 AM »
I really like this.....nice and fresh sound...up-beat.......has that Dire Straights vibe in those great guitars.
Good stuff, man! I really enjoyed the tune  ;D
                                                                           -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »
Hmm...very nice.

Catchy chorus, great guitar sounds and harmonies.

Really liked the guitar solo section and the way the high passed vocal hook came in over it.

There's a real country flavour to this without it being obvious country.

The synth section toward the beginning caught me off guard but it worked.

All in all I thought this was terrible, what are you doing with your life?.........sorry, I had a monochrome moment!

Really....great stuff.

Yodasdad

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 03:24:46 PM »
Great fun and the 6 string bass works a treat. Agree with Kevin re the vocals being a bit to up front.
Love the guitar solo (shades of Mr Knopfler there, if you are familiar with him?  ;D)
The first half was good but the second was great!
A most enjoyable listen!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »
giitriddles

Bowie eh? That's a new one,but I'll take it.  :D The guitar is a home made Strat. Thanks for the comments,Nate.

Cazrollina

I'm happy you liked it Caz.  :)

Paulski

Good man Paul,hum it to everyone you meet!  :D

shadowfax

I lowered the vocal a few db. See what you think Kev,if you are back this way.  :)

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »
Hey pal

Love listening to your guitar! Reminds me a little of Mr Knopfler. You're a great player. Something I've liked with all your songs is the harmonies in your vocal - you do each harmony yourself yeah? It works really well. The bass here is great and a really dig the trippy section in the middle.

Lyrics are short and concise but super. Many of them sorts of people about :P and funnily there's so much colour to this track it's like your really sticking it to them.

Great track and performance. Thanks, Darren.