konalavadome

New song- Please don't go

• 30 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: August 03, 2017, 01:32:15 PM »
Hi all, a bit of a retro vibe here. Wrote this song as a bit of a bluesy improvisation over a few chords, and thinking, what would Prince sing over this..... :P Any way, here it is. Became a bit more orchestral with brass, strings and woodwind, and ends up with 5 part vocal harmonies! Think 3 is the max I've done before! Simple lyric ,not very typical for me! Although typically I didn't realise how long it was till I'd finished, I'll learn someday ::) :P!

All constructive comments welcome!

Thanks for listening!

Oh, and I promise to catch up on some reviews too :o!

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/please-dont-go

Please don't go

Tell me baby, what I want to hear
Tell me baby, what I want to know
I know that I need you
and I want your love... so much

Where are you baby, that's what I want to know
I need you baby, don't want you to go
I know that I need you
And I want your love... so much

Pre-chorus

It hasn't always been this way
I still remember every day
Still want you baby
And don't you know

I need you, I want you, I love you. please don't go x2

I'm dying baby,i miss you every you every day
Not lying baby, why cant you hear me say
I know that I need you
and I want you love so much

Pre-chorus
Chorus x 2

Tell me baby, what I want to hear

Eline97

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
Hi Jamie!

Nice song, I especially liked the brass parts building up the song! You're right about the length: I think the song could be better if you would reduce it a little in length. I also think that although the instruments are nicely built up, the vocals could maybe use a little variety. The harmonies are really nice, perhaps you could make the highest vocal line the lead part during the chorus and keep the verses like they are right now? However, really good job working with so many instrumental and vocal parts! :)

giitlesriddles

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 02:53:12 PM »
Hello,
Writing my reactions as I listen. I'm excited for this, I love blues, I love prince, And I love big sounding ensembles, so this should be cool. Nice groove in the Beginning. Laid back drums and chill e piano. I feel like the vocals stick out a bit in the mix. Maybe some more compressor, or stereo spreading. I love the layering you have here and how everything fits in the same kinda groove. Then the b section really sticks out. Especially after the band drops out after "I want your love" then the next key changes are very tight. I'm not sure if they were all necessary. I take that back. I see that the were leading toward the "I need you" part. Which, being in major sticks out. A very good build if you ask me. Then the E Piano Solo, simple but sick. The vocals seem more smooth with these harmonies. Lyrically nothing special here, but I don't think that was what you were going for. The brass kinda feels a bit klunky because the midi sounds, but the strings work. Oh shit! Those I Need You harmonies. Straight out of a beatles song. I dig it. Then the groove after that climax works and that swelling chord ends things perfectly. Goodwork, obviously I nit picked it, but I can  nit pick anything. Keep on making songs. This was very catchy and well composed.
Hope to hear more soon
Nate

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:57 PM »
Hi Jamie. Five part harmonies eh ! Like you I never have ventured over 3, but Bvs and harmonies can add some much more to a song. This has such a mellow vibe and so well put together. There's lots of space in there as well. Love the harmony build, reckon you could get a few more in there  :) Could I send you one or two to add ? Great stuff man  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 10:46:51 PM »
Wow, you really are the harmony master.  The last minute of this was sublime after they arrived.  That's not to say the rest wasn't very good too - really smooth production and stellar vocals, all with a measured delivery - nothing is overcooked.  Made me think of 10CC more than Prince but that's just swapping one set of genius for another, so nothing lost there.  My only suggestion would be for some slightly more original angle in the lyrics; there's nothing wrong with them, just that there's nothing new about them either... I just felt if a song this pretty could have some fresh slant or twist to the lyrics too, it would knock it out the park and be an instant classic.  Really lovely listen though, I am so envious of your harmony ability.
It's all too beautiful.

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 11:59:26 PM »
Nice grove and a fab listen. Just having another. I def got a Beatles vibe on the harmonies section, with some zero seven and George Michael thrown in earlier too. Very cool retro jazzy/blues feel. Could alter the drums just a touch in a few places earlier on to offer added contrast. A bit of jazz clarinet in there would sound a dream, but that would definitely not be Prince :) nice work man cx
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 01:52:11 AM »
Hi Jamie

This was different from you!
Sort of reminded me of when Yes went all commercial with "Owner of a Lonely Heart"  ;D
You can't hide your musical talent and neither could they!
I liked this - laid back - nice harmonies near the end.
Lyrically not breaking any new ground but the interesting music redeems it for flirting with cliche. ;D

Enjoyed this  ;D
Paul

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 09:20:21 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for listening, it's appreciated!

Hi Eline97, pleased you got something from it! I was a bit concerned about how many instruments I'd used, and almost wanted to use more, but gave up.....thankfully. Yes, take the point about the song length, it's always an issue for me, one day I'll learn!

Hi Nate, a comprehensive and thoughtful review!im delighted you enjoyed it and got excited about the parts I think are important too!
Cheers!

Hi John, pleased about the comment ref the space in the mix. I was worried that it was too cluttered and messy so pleased with those comments!
Glad you all enjoyed it!

Cheers Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 09:30:42 AM »
Hi all thanks for the feedback it's appreciated!

Hi PaulyX, delighted with your harmony comments. Usually I find it very time consuming to do complicated harmonies, but somehow this time I recorded them very quickly with very few corrections! Must just have been lucky this time! I agree with your comments about the lyrics I knew they were a bit cliched but I more or less wrote them in one take. I wrote them at the piano whilst playing, which I've never done before, so the rhythm and the phrasing mattered more than the content. Also I thought theses simple lyrics fitted with the blues/ jazz feel to the songs.

Hi Caz, nice comments! Love the Beatles comments though I don't get the zero seven ref 8) :P and my wife doesn't like the drums either!

Hi Paul, flirting with cliche! That's the blues for you ;D ;). And yes it is different for me, I'm normally anti cliche, but decided to write this style on purpose.

Great comments all, appreciate your comments and talking the time to post!
Cheers
Jamie

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 12:22:23 PM »
Very melancholy...builds nicely, like the octave on the vocal..and lovely harmonies at the end, nice structure throughout..
a few timing issues with the bass guitar, particularly around 1.30 which seems a pity because it's easy fixed..
you sound like your singing but trying not to disturb anybody...gotta let go a bit more..unless it was your intention for it to be like that of course... :)

good track Jamie :) :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:25:07 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
Hi Jamie,

This has cool vibe, reminds me of Sneaker pimps - 6 Underground - classic trip hop in places,

Bass and drums site very nice around your lyric and Vocal.

I like it, great work

Andy

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 07:51:19 AM »
Wow, very impressive. Lots of things going on, nice build and variation so the length was not a problem at all for me. Agree what was said about the vocals sticking out a bit. Think a little more bottom end in the mix would have been nice but other than it is fab. And the harmonies were sublime, well done!

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 10:39:48 AM »
Hey pal

This track has taken a different turn that other's I have been listening to this morning. It's slower and more atmospheric so taking a couple of listens to adjust.

I like the simplicity of the lyrics. Nice neat and concise. Listening there were times the melody surprised me (in a good way) I was thinking how it would sound and it actually went different which was great. The harmonies work wonderfully. My favourite bit is the chorus - felt like a change in tone which was nice and then that bit before the end is sublime. I love the sound of all them vocals, really up lifting. I would have liked this to see us out rather than return to the verse but that's personal preference. Really well sung, played and produced. Good work!! Darren

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 04:11:35 PM »
Well constructed piece of music imho. Super laid back which is wonderful...I can't imagine how you can manage all those harmonies. Maybe it's me, but the vocals sound just a tad too forward in one or two places. Perhaps a little more reverb or compression could fix that. I'm being super critical because this is a beautiful song, well performed and produced.

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »
Nice track, I like the way it builds up and the strings are very effective, nice keyboard sound, fits very well, and the harmonies are awesome.

Well done, Mikey