konalavadome

New song- Please don't go

• 30 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »
Nice and relaxing.

I like the orchestration, almost felt like it could be turned into a Bond theme in places.

On first listen I didn't thing it was particularly hooky, but by the second and third time it definitely is.
The tell me baby line and the way the melody is reused for new lyrics see to that.

Harmonies work nicely and liked the e piano interlude.

Yodasdad

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
Hi Jamie...

a very cool vibe to this one...loved the synth pad thing when it joined in second verse (I think) too

I think melodically, for me, the verses carried most of the emotional impact, and they were so good, the chorus and big vocal sections had a massive job building on that...they were very good too, of course...

A really nice song...enjoyed it  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 06:06:55 PM »
I don't mind the simple lyric. For an R&b/soul song which is what you've got it tagged as who wants anything too deep?

I like the first part of the verses with those harmonies a lot...quite soulful....second half not so much. I like the electric piano a lot. I love electric piano!

Very mellow song Jamie...I go with whoever said 10CC...I can get that.

The big harmony section is the highlight..really injects the song with life...it really picks up here.

Yes...maybe a tad long. Might get to the power of that big harmony section earlier if that was possible and make more of it.

Funny how we perceive things in our own different ways isn't it. I wouldn't call this bluesy but there you are!

Oh, while I'm here Jamie. Please don't forget to cast your vote in the July song of the month competition.

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13576.0

If you already have done I'm sorry to forgotten that but this will be a nice reminder for anyone reading to do the same. Vote now please everybody!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 11:30:27 PM »
Yo Jamie.

I'm hearing a 10cc feel on this tune. It's a grower for sure,lovely craft at work here.

Love the harmonies at the end,beautifully done.

It's a keeper.  8)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 03:02:35 PM »
Hi all, thanks for listening!

Hi Kevin, yes you're  right about the bass timing. I tend to record the bass very early in the process and think if there are any issues I'll go back and fix them later......... :P. Glad you enjoyed it!

Hi Andy, don't know the bands you ref ::). Glad you enjoyed it though!

Hi jambrains, thanks for the harmony comments, in the past I've struggled to get more complicated harmonies right, but this time I felt very good about them and nailed them very quickly! Glad you felt the build worked as the length of the song needed it!

Cheers
Jamie ;D

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 03:08:51 PM »
Hi , thanks for listening it's appreciated!

Hi Darren, pleased you found the melody interesting and not necessarily going where you expected! Love the comments you've made especially the uplifting comments about the harmonies!

Hi Bill, great comments thanks. I still have many things to learn technically so not surprised about those comments. My main ref is that I can hear some progression from my early recordings, even if I still don't know what I'm doing :P ???. Thanks for the construction comment that's cool!

Hey mike you, concise but very cool comments the harmonies seem to have gone down as well as I hoped!

Cheers guys!

Jamie ;D

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 03:16:07 PM »
Hi guys thanks for listening!

Hi yodasdad, the piano break is very simple but seems to work, glad you mentioned it. Bond theme? I'll take that as a compliment though I'm not sure I can hear it myself. What have you been imbibing ;). Glad you mentioned the orchestration I wasn't sure if it worked.

Hi Paul, glad you got something from it. My favourite part is the chorus but I'm glad you felt the verses carried it!

Hey mr viscount! You didn't diss my lyrics, hurrah! :D. Agree that the harmonies give a lift, and yes it is interesting how people hear genres. I guess soul, r&b and the blues are all linked somewhere! I'll take 10cc anytime!

Cheers
Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 03:18:43 PM »
Hi Skub, succinct and to the point, missing your normal humorous take on stuff, but I'll take that as a comment on the seriousness of your comments!  :o ??? ::) :P. Great comments though!
Cheers
Jamie

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 07:18:20 AM »

First:

I think you really did a good drum mix here. they re upfront, they have power; i always got troubles with that. kudos.

you really reached a high level i terms of writing and producing.
I have to say, that the vocals need some more improvement - they re already pretty good; but not as top as the rest.
Your voice is great; train it a little more :)

cheers B

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
Hi Mr. B, the drums are standard logic x standard but I played around with the tools to make them stand out a bit, glad you noticed.Thanks for your kind words on writing and producing! What can I say about my vocals? Well, they are better than they used to be, but my voice is what it is. I tend not to seek a performance when I record, more of a 'get it right' without too many takes type approach..... :P
Thanks for listening!
Cheers
Jamie

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »
Hi Jamie - really recognisable Jamie intro here - not sure what it is, mAybe a descending chromatic bass part that you do?

The harmonies are of course great and I reckon you could do more with them and really make them the star of the song.

The one thing that I didn't totally like was after the ascending "I need you I want you" that for "please don't go" the vocal melody went down instead of up - I think continuing up (or at least the final time?) could bring a little more emotion. Of course it could also break the mood but perhaps something to consider if you didn't already...

But a very cool project overall  (and that puppy...)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 03:26:46 PM »
Hi Adam, thanks for listening, yes she's cute, that's my now grown up Labrador! The intro is part of the verse from memory which starts Cm9,Cm9sus4, A flat maj13 and G7 ???, if that helps! I had the chorus part around for a while and couldn't hear it any different than I did it, your idea may have been better :P. Maybe I could have used the harmonies a bit more, but when I did them it was late in the process and I was just so delighted I got them right, and quickly, I didn't want to meddle more ::).
Cheers Adam, glad you liked it!

Jamie

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 03:49:45 PM »
Hi Jamie,

To be honest, this doesn't have enough lyrical interest to engage me. Everything else is great but I like images and unexpected places in a song's lyrics and I didn't find them here. I think if you're going to have the lyrics as simple and predictable as these, it's either got to be a 60's Tamla/Stax song or a punk song.

Don't like to be negative but that's the way I hear it. Everybody writes differently so this is very subjective.

M

deegeorge

• Open Mic
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 10:11:38 PM »
Nice organ sound and the layered vocals work.Really like the production when the synths come in the second verse.The only thing for me would be there isn't a definate Chorus in this but i guess all songs don't need one

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for listening ;D

Hi allan, I recognise that your take on lyricism is very different from mine. You are an accomplished storyteller and use great images to illuminate your songs. I don't really listen that closely to any lyrics, even lyrics for all the music I love and pay for! So I guess that says that i'm not a storyteller! I doubt I've ever really thought about the lyrics I hear, or thought about the story or message. I only think about how they fit with the song/arrangement/melody etc.
Having said all of that everyone to their own. For what it's worth on this song I wrote 90% of the lyrics in about 10 minutes, as a vamp to go with the feel of the chord structures, so. Was going for feel and sympathy with the vibe. But.....what do I know! Pleased you liked all the rest!

Hi DG, glad you enjoyed the production, sounds and arrangements! I actually think there is a chorus, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder ( or listener in this case)!

Thanks for listening guys!
Cheers
Jamie