Cover song, vocals only

• 5 Replies

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« on: August 03, 2017, 05:22:37 AM »
Hi all. I recorded this impromptu video take to try out a song choice for auditioning for local bands and choirs. After playing it for my husband, he wanted me to shut it off after about 10 seconds. I was sort of crushed, to be honest, because I thought it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure what hit his cringe button. I'm hoping someone else can point it out for me. Maybe it was he's used to seeing stunning beauties on video instead of normal-looking people like me. Or maybe I really sound like a screeching cat in heat. Just let me know.

Keep You cover

Note: this was just recorded on my laptop webcam and microphone, so no production magic or autotune.

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
Hi Jenna

Not a bad performance at all! For the me the only awkwardness was having the other vocalist singing behind you as it made it feel like you were mimicking rather than singing it your own way. Maybe try looking for a backing track with no vocals to sing to? Because it think your voice has a lot going for it!

However I'm not the best vocalist and not really the one to give any pointers :P

I enjoyed the performance though :) and you're brave to take it on! If your husband cringed it may be because he's not used to seeing you perform?

Any how's keep practicing and performing and good luck on the band hunt :)

Darren

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 02:25:25 AM »
Thanks, Darren. That's really nice to hear after the reaction I got from him the other day.  :D I'll keep working out the kinks and try to EQ it next time. The mic makes a *huge* difference. I'm amazed, actually, at how much better a voice sounds through a mic when compared to these little laptop or cell phone mics.

It might be he's just not used to watching me perform. It took me awhile to get used to hearing and watching myself on video, too. But there is a harshness in the recording on my speakers, as well. The sound is uneven and gets really loud at some points and not so much in others.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
Okay. . . several things.  k

1.  When (any of us/all of us) start singing, we don't really know what we sound like to others.  And we sound different on the recording than we sound to ourselves from "inside our own heads."  So it IS confusing.  

2.  People can have numerous reasons for suggesting that something is not good enough.  Perfectionists can't really like ANYTHING.  People who don't like music don't like music.  I don't know what your husband's reason is, (and I assume it's a positive reason), but he's just plain wrong.  

3.  Well over 66% (or more) of the population can sing credibly enough to record themselves without embarrassment.  All that stands between them and a love of singing is fear.  You have no need for such fear.  You have, not just a "nice voice" but a voice with range, power, and variety.  All that you need.  And the more you sing, the better you will sound.  Not only that, but the more you record yourself, the better you will sing.  I've recorded over 1200 covers and originals, and I sing everywhere I go -- in the car, in the house, in the store (under my breath) at Karaoke events, at live gigs and "open mics" etc.  I've sung so much, and recorded so much, that I can actually "hear" what I really sound like to listeners.
My mind automatically adjusts the sound I "hear" through the mic to what I know comes out from having recorded so much.  

4. Here, then is what you will find.   When you've sung for years, you will simply look back on this and wonder what all the fuss and fear was about.  Just trust me (and the others here who will tell you the same thing) and SING.  Forget whether you sound "good enough."  YOU DO.  

5.  Half the trick is singing songs that you know really well because you've sung them so often.  The other half is learning to "listen to yourself through the ears of others" so that you stick (mostly) to songs that are good for YOUR voice.  Everyone has songs they sing that are "perfect for them."  And everyone has songs that require a lot from their voices and that are never quite going to sound right.  Ella Fitzgerald said, "Anyone who thinks they can sing everything, probably can't sing anything."  This woman with the phenomenally versatile voice was telling us to "stick with what you CAN sing well."  Because SHE DID THAT.  She "stuck with what she sang well."  

6.  Don't, however, just sing songs that are easy for you.  If you love a song, SING IT.  Even if it's not right for your voice, it's about the love of music, NOT about impressing others.  Don't inflict too many of these on listeners. . . but do sing stuff that's outside your comfort zone.  Some of the songs that are best for my voice were songs that I couldn't originally make work.  The more you sing, the more THINGS you can sing.  

7.  Don't sing for yourself and/or for your own ego.  The mindset that talented people should have (and you are a talented singer) is that they are "giving a gift" to their audience when they sing for free.  If anyone is rude enough to "look a gift horse in the mouth" then shame on them.  You DO have something of value to give as a singer.  As long as you are giving it away, don't pay much attention to critics.  

Seven is a magic number in every culture in the world.  I'll quit on seven, even though there is much more I could say.  

Sites that you might find helpful.

Search "Karasongs." 

"Singsnap" is an online karaoke site where you can get critiques (usually helpful) on your vocals, and listen to other people's interpretations.  I've seldom used it, but recorded over 200 covers on "MySpaceKaraoke" back when it was alive. 

I suspect that everyone will be as nice and as helpful on "Singsnap" as they were on "MySpaceKaraoke." 

Good luck.  NO FEAR.  JUST SING.   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:05:52 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
Aw, Verlon, you are such a dear. We couldn't listen to music in this house for many years because our son all of a sudden decided he couldn't stand it. He had hearing sensitivity and processing issues, and I think trying to sing along with it in his early school years, while not being able to keep up and getting overwhelmed by the loudness of the classroom might have made him snap. The other kids were picking on him, and he couldn't communicate to us what was going on. He had a major meltdown and we had to send him to another school for a time with *no* music class. He absolutely hates it when I sing, so it's been very limiting and I've been out of practice for a long time. Maybe those years without it made my husband move onto listening to the talk radio instead. I don't know. I just know he used to enjoy it, too.

Music was always such a big part of my life, and our son has mellowed some in his tolerance over the years, but I still have to time my adventures around his presence and that can be difficult in a small house. Well enough of that. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your compliments and helpful advice.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 12:57:55 AM »
Wonderful advice from Darren and Verlon but if you dont mind me adding you need more of your own character in other people lyrics and with their lyrics if you know what i mean, they too have a history.

You're a lyric writer go with the flow  8)