konalavadome

Harbour Lights (Pompeyjazz / MoFoJo Collab)

• 28 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 06:04:14 PM »
Yes you got your good singalong chorus all right.....must be I didn't notice the sun while I was there though!

Loving the vocals in this one...and the organ!

The song takes a bit of getting into (love the sparse intro though) but once you've hit that chorus a couple of times it sounds like something known and loved if you know what I mean. Mix of 60s influences....obviously Kinky Englishness and a bit of something maybe The Move for that chorus....

Had a quick look at MoFo's video...almost looks nice from the sea!

Fran's bro still lives in North End...lucky him...should've stayed in Villiers Road.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 06:53:58 PM »
Great vocals on this, like a port full of drunken sailors on shore leave attacking a melody tailor made for loud carousing and breaches of the peace.
It's a homely tale of harbour life howled into a 1960s microphone.
I'm still singing that chorus, guys.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
Great video and a great song. Very impressed. There is always something special growing up next to water and your song and video took me back to Hull in the 70s.

My only suggestion is for the video. I'd have used different photographs/film of Albert Road during each of the choruses. Its tempting to show the same thing during the chorus but I found my eyes shutting down my brain because I'd seen it before.

Keith

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 03:17:54 AM »
Late to the party here - any beer left in the bar?
I'm just going to echo everybody else - great song - great chorus.
I'm not sure about the doubled lead vocal but that's a preference thingy.
I say let the Mick Jagger guy sing the verse by his lonesome  ;D ;D

Solid work!
Paul

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »
Ah lads. A great homage to a unique city. I don't know Portsmouth particularly well. I've been there about 3 times in my life. Most recently I was amazed by the transformation around the harbour. The best fish and chips I've ever had was also in Portsmouth, some back street near the football ground. The video is super cool. Someone knows how to use a drone great footage. The song is cool. Nice melodies and a romantic chorus. I think there s a bit more you could do with the lyrics. The storytelling is good but one more personal story would make it a bit more rounded.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 03:18:33 AM »
I'm late to this one but glad I caught the bus in time... it's lovely.  Total Fabs vibe, both lyrically and in the chord progressions.  I especially liked it when the music fell away to leave just PJ's voice singing the chorus for a moment.  A poignant little snapshot a la Penny Lane or Waterloo Sunset - these ones always leave me feeling happy and sad at the same time, and yours does the same.  Really nice track guys.
It's all too beautiful.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 09:35:44 AM »
Missed this somehow ???
that's a crackin chorus guys..and captured the mood very well, mix is a little untidy though, seems a pity :(
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
Crystal clear production.  enjoying the Beatlesque chord progressions and lovely vocal melody.  This is an excellent collaboration gents!

Paul

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »
Hi Guys,

I don't think this started well but once you got to the chorus, things improved a great deal. I'm getting the Beatles/Kinks vibe which is obviously a good thing and I like the hometown theme. I can see that this song has had a lot of positive comments and it's been nominated for SOTM  so it's obvious a lot of people loved it. I loved the chorus, the rest not so much. I think it's a melody thing which I'm always looking for but I didn't hear that in the verses. Just my 2 peneth worth.

M

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 06:50:50 PM »
Thanks for the comments and the SOTM nomination - glad some people were getting the Beatles/Penny Lane vibe as we started out to try and do a Southern (England) version......we did try to see if we could get some interest from one of the local radio stations to see if they might be able to give it a spin - but as far as i know we have had zero response.

i suppose the moral of the story is if you cant please other people then please yourself - cause i'm quite proud of this one. ;D

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »
Hey Morefrog...I was listening to this again (SOTM voting responsibilities you know.)

It does take a few listens I think...doesn't grab immediately - apart from the chorus of course....but I like it more with every listen. You have every right to be proud!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 08:52:29 AM »
Guys,
I like the song and lyrics.
If I'm being picky I think there's some looseness in the recording, some pitching and timing of vocals ahead of the beat means that sometimes the lyrics aren't as clear as they could be.
On my second play I'm getting the classic British vinegretts tune/Kinks feel to this.
 :)
neil   
songwriter of no repute..

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »
Hi both

Really enjoyed this. The music is lovely and rolls along really nice. The stand out here for me is your joint vocal performances, there's so much energy and passion in them. They really captured me. Great sound, great song.

Darren

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »
I liked it chaps,  Influenced by both The Kinks and The Beatles with a Jagger Like vocal.  What's not to like?  A fine song, complete with backing vocals and a lovely chord progression.

Paul