konalavadome

Guitar Questions (Not sure where to put this)

• 9 Replies

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« on: July 30, 2011, 02:55:33 AM »
As in the title, I wasn't sure where to put this so I went with this board.

Basically, I bought a guitar a couple of days ago and am picking it up fairly quickly. The only issue is I am not having any formal coaching and am basically teaching myself through youtube tutorials and other websites for guitarists. This is all fine when it comes to learning basic chords and how to read tabs etc but it isn't much help when one finds specific problems.

Basically, I want to see if I can use this thread as a medium for guitar newbies like myself to ask questions to those on this forum more experienced with guitar.

My main problem at this point is chord changes. I can do them, just not very quickly (something I'm sure will change with practice) so I was wondering if anyone here has some advice on changing finger placement quickly and cleanly.
Defective Elector

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:45:11 AM »
Changing chords quickly and cleanly is a matter of muscle memory. There's no quick way or short cut. It's just a case of putting in the hours of practice required.

I'm not sure where this thread should live either... I'll let you know if I decide to move it :)

Happy to answer any guitar-y questions though; I used to teach, so I know a fair amount.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 04:27:42 PM »
Thanks Tone :D
I do have another quick question for now.
Does anyone know some good blister cream? :D
In my attempts to grind my way through some solid chord learnin' I found myself with holes in my fingertips...
Defective Elector

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »
Screw the cream. Grit your teeth and power through. In a while you will lose your fingerprints and your tips will turn to a beautiful shiny...thing.
Try playing without looking to practice those chord changes.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 11:19:08 PM »
Yes, cream is for girls and may actually soften the fingertips, which isn't desirable. Instead, when they heal simply refrain from practising so much that you break the skin. The time waiting for them to heal again is time you could spend practising. If you pace yourself to start with, your fingertips will toughen up more quickly and you'll soon be spending hours of pain-free playing every day :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 11:52:01 PM »
Just keep playing Corsair

The guitar is wonderful in that one day you can't play, strum, sing but if you keep going it all works out , no idea how  ;D

It's a wonderful instrument

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:02:59 AM »
Hi Corsair,

Try to structure your practice so that you develop different aspects of your playing.  Don't simply practice the same things during each session.  Make it your goal to learn the names of all of the notes of the open strings, continuing up to the fifth fret (you can always learn notes further up later but this is an achievable goal.)  Practice playing each note from open string to the fifth fret on each string, alternating your picking up and down, each time you strike the strings.  This should improve your coordination.  If you say out loud the names of each of the notes, soon, you'll commit them to memory.  Get a book of scales, learn to play the same scales in different positions to increase your knowledge of the fingerboard.  practice open chords and progress on to barre chords.  play single string riffs, fingerpicking and strumming. Discover the key that one of your favourite songs was written in, play the notes of that key over the song, experimenting with improvisation over the song. Try not to overlook guitar theory.  There is so much to learn but you can make it fun along the way.  I learned parrot fashion and developed my understanding of theory much later.  Theory really helps you to understand your instrument much better and aids composition.  Though I must admit, I've been writing for so long that I almost instinctively know what does and doesn't work without thinking about the nuts and bolts behind it all.  The point is however, your progress will be much quicker with a good understanding of basic music theory.

I won't waffle on any longer as there is a great deal to learn and you shouldn't let this dampen your spirits. You can also achieve a great deal within a very short space of time without too much application to theory.  It just depends on what you are trying to achieve. 

Hope some of this helps a little!  :)

Paul

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »
Wow that helps a lot

Seriously, thank you. That gives me a bit more of a solid structure and a base of goals.

Again, thanks :D
Defective Elector

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 10:23:32 PM »
and also take a look at Mr Clapton on stage ,he barely looks at his guitar lol
Learner guitarist

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:53:05 PM »
Hi Corsair,

I'm late to the party. I would simply say take things slowly - speed comes with time and effort.
Also, check out Justin Sandercoe's website.

Good luck,

Digger