What four or five guitars would be on your guitar rack if money were no object?

• 9 Replies

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »
If I really had to look into it I guess it would be wood library stuff and things like 7K Gibson Les Paul Collectors Choice guitars and 4K Fender LTD 60s Strat Bound Relic etc.

But just off the top of head and more realistic:

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Elite Stratocaster
Fender American Elite Telecaster
Taylor PS14ce Acoustic

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:10:09 PM »
I am a very lucky boy and have (almost unintentionally) collect my dream guitar line up

Of the guitars I own here are the ones that would make my top 5 dream list

1990 Fender Strat Plus in root beer metallic (very rare fender colour on these) with maple board- had it over 25 years and is "the one"

2017 Fender Telecaster Elite in tobacco burst with cream binding and rosewood board - a collective 40th b'day present from family

Martin OMC 16RE Aura acoustic - I stumbled across this absolute gem secondhand at Manson's in Exeter whilst on a family holiday - I played every guitar in the shop - including those north of £10k - and for me this blew them all out of the water by miles. It has ebony board & bridge - it plays and sounds AMAZING!!!

1990 Gibson Les Paul Standard - I paid £200 unseen in case it was a fake. It was a bit beaten up but 100% genuine so it was the deal of the century. I replaced all the electrics and pickups with top of the line components (including a set of Bare Knuckle Mule pups) and it is an absolute BEAST and looks great as it is naturally relic'. It doesn't have any weight relief so is as heavy as a house!

These 3 would make a top 5 list if I could choose any so I have 2 slots left in the rack....

I think I would have to go with an old Gibson acoustic - difficult to say what model without playing but the recorded tone I have heard from JAMES NIGHTHAWK AND MONTYDOG have convinced me that Gibson acoustics have a complimentary tone to the Martin I already have

If money were no object I think I would just have to fill my final slot in the rack with a 100% original 1954 or 1957 stratocaster. I have a '57 Jap reissue strat that I have fitted with a Roland synth pickup and different pups but I would love to own the "real deal" one day - and may even consider one as an "investment piece" in the future as I can't see them ever going down in value so why not own and play one in the meantime  ;D

"Close but no cigar" options are...

Gibson 335 - I have access to one so can use it to record / gig. I recently did a full setup on it and got it playing soooooo sweet but it was nudged out the top 5 by the Gibson acoustic

PRS - I love the look of these guitars but I just can't get on with playing them

So, in summary - I am very lucky to own 3 of my 5 all time "any cost" guitars

If I earn some £$£$£$ from getting songs placed I will probably try a few Gibson acoustics and if I ever have money to invest I would seriously consider the vintage strat investment
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 10:10:14 PM »
Perhaps I'm a little different,but if you have a set of hands at all it's not difficult to put together a bolt on neck electric,such as a Tele or a Strat. If you spend a bit of time on the neck,levelling and crowning the frets,plus a careful and individual setup,that'll be way more time than any custom shop will have spent on the job.

To build an acoustic you need  proper luthier skills,so I'll not argue the point on that score.

None of the guitars in your list (HS) would make me a better player.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 10:40:40 PM »
I'm quite lucky in that money isn't much of an object, and I make enough from gigs that I can buy pretty much whatever I want, but I don't really want anything more than what I've got...I always have a budget in mind, and - to me - there aren't that many guitars that are worth what the asking price is.

I generally gig a p-90 Yamaha semi I paid £80 for...it sounds and plays great, and it has the advantage that I could hit somebody with it and smile. I like playing with cheap gear.

The other thing is, do I want to take my favourite Rickenbacker down to the dog and duck and break up a fight on the dance floor in the middle of a song with said guitar hanging 'round my neck? No...It has happened more than once.

If it's for recording, I'd just pick up whatever was to hand and use that...it wouldn't matter to me.

When I had nowt, I wanted expensive stuff...and now that I can afford expensive stuff, there's nowt I want.

A lot of it is just snobbery. I have got quite a few nice guitars, though. Maybe you need to have nice stuff in order to know you don't really need nice stuff...

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 11:03:36 PM »
I appreciate the view about "snobbery" but I think with things like guitars and cars there is a "value" to some brands and heritage that go way beyond the value of the individual value of the parts

I still get the same buzz picking up the guitars I own as I did the day I got them - that alone is worth the money IMHO - the fact that they also play great and earn me money is a bonus

The other thing I would say is that every single one of the guitars I have purchased have gone UP in value, which is another reason for buying a "heritage" brand

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 11:32:40 PM »
Yeah...absolutely fair comment...if you're going to spend decent money, then you can't whack picking up the big-name boys...all of my fenders, gibsons and rickenbackers are now worth at least what I paid for them...as long as I haven't signed them or anything  :D
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 12:42:53 AM »
Hi,
So as Boydie suggests I'd have a tele, strat and Gibson, but which ones? A thineline tele, a Strat maple or rosewood necks, les Paul or 335? To be honest I've not played enough to be able to really say which I'd want.
Acoustic - a Martin 12 string not sure whether D-12 or 28. Would look at high end guilds too.
So that leaves one other. I'm having a a LP Special double cut made from mahogany timber my dad and I rescued from a beach in Cornwall in late 60's. Got some Lindy Fralin p90's do hope gonna be 'the one'
  :)
Neil

Ps what about the other half of your sound Amps?!

songwriter of no repute..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
I'm having a a LP Special double cut made from mahogany timber my dad and I rescued from a beach in Cornwall in late 60's. Got some Lindy Fralin p90's do hope gonna be 'the one'

Wow - that sounds amazing! What provenance and backstory for the guitar - like Brian May and the fireplace guitar

Ps what about the other half of your sound Amps?

This is a little more tricky for me as I am not so fussy about amps as I am guitars

I gigged with one amp for over 25 years, which was a Fender Super 60 valve combo

I recently retired this amp and got a Blackstar Series One 2x12 combo for a bigger sound and to use to cover a wide range of sounds for my cover band - which it does excellently, is really versatile within my setup and sounds amazing - going from chimey Fender cleans to Marshall dirt, it really is the best of both worlds live

If I were choosing a dream amp for "my own sound" then I would go for either a Fender Deluxe Reverb or a Victory head & cab

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 02:50:54 PM »
Ps what about the other half of your sound Amps?!
They take up a lot of space and aren't as fun to drool over.

I'd just pick a couple of the most renown and universally loved amps like the Marshall JCM800 and the Vox AC30.