Leave No Stone Unturned

• 16 Replies

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:48:19 PM »
This was the very first Jambrains song that I finally got around to redo. I had just left the band, was quickly approaching 50 and so uncomfortable with my own voice I even had played the vocal on my demos for the band on keyboard (and I considered them my very closest friends..)
Edit: These days I have come to terms with my vocals so not looking for sympathies, just to give a background to the lyrics:

So I had tons of music ideas but just about every parameter on the wrong side, A middle aged, middle class, middleweight, middle man doing classic rock and who cannot sing and writes lyrics in a foreign language is not exactly the stuff that musical success is made of these days   ;D

Then something, somehow (beats me, go figure...) pushed me over the edge and I said to myself, f*** them all, I'll do this thing anyway!
Jambrains was born and I sung..

The lyrics are sort of a mission statement for Jambrains, a middle finger to anyone who directly or indirectly are saying to me (and I guess most of them are my own inner little devils) you cannot/shouldn't do this or that.

Buskers beware, this one is fast, loud and defiant!

https://soundcloud.com/jambrains/leave-no-stone-unturned-2

Leave No Stone Unturned

Before I face
my curtain call
I want it now
I want it all
I will run
while others crawl
I will rock
before the fall
Rock before the fall

Youth is wasted on the young
I will leave no song unsung
Life is short and then we die
I will leave no stone unturned
Where the others crashed and burned
I'll will walk away unhurt

The endless sleep
awaits ahead
So sleep can wait
until I'm dead
When others
have already fled
I'll walk
where angels fear to tread

When I was a child
My father would sit and wait
for good things to come his way
But no good things came
and he passed away
a bitter, disappointed man

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:55:34 PM by Jambrains »

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »
Wow, thats loud! can't decide if its metal or punk, but I liked it anyway, vocal is fine, there were one or two places which didn't have a backing vocal where I thought it needed the boost, but overall I thought it worked very well

Mikey

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »
Yo JB.

First off.I love your voice,it suits this type of song extremely well. I suffer from the same self loathing as yourself when it comes to my singing,but I too have decided to put that behind me and try to play to my strengths. I often think,if you believe in what you sing,it communicates and after all,that's what it's all about.

The song is a great rocker filled with middle aged angst.  :D It's the new cool thing.  8)

Great overall sound on the guitars (something I still struggle with on songs requiring overdrive) and fine,full sounding production.

Love it.  8)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 10:53:33 PM »
Hey Jambrains,
Loved this.
Firstly: the sentiment behind the lyrics - yesss! More power to you. I sometimes wonder how many great songs are not being written because the potential author feels they have too many years behind them... it's such a nonsense these days to think you've got to be in your 20s to be credible at producing great music. I'd almost go as far as to say that older musicians have a duty to keep rocking out like this, to keep the flame alive when it's at risk of being extinguished by auto-tuned, anodyne, pop-idol commercial pap.
Then as for the song itself - so many positives. Your voice sounds great, I loved the chunky synopated guitar playing, and it is garnished with just the right amount of widdles. It's a life affirming few minutes of high octane attitude.
Respeck'!
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 11:11:54 PM »
Hi JB. I can totally relate to your sentiments. It took me a few more years to get where you are but you are absolutely spot on. This song rocked my knackers off. For me this is perfect. Lyrics, feel, attitude and a good old dose of Rock n Roll. Absolutely superb  :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 11:21:34 PM »
Hi,

I love your sentiment and as a 54 year old I can see exactly where you're coming from so hats off to you. I'm not sure the mix is right but the song is great.

M

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 06:52:03 PM »
Heavy stuff ain't my bag...you know that...but yours is very melodic at least. And your choruses are always good...very good and nicely done here.

Guitars are great as ever. Vocals are all good here too.

Structure is good though I was expecting a guitar solo after that middle 8...hey look I was expecting a guitar solo somewhere at least!

The middle 8 was nicely brought in though I think middle 8 is the shakiest bit of the song if you don't mind me saying.

On the whole it's a fine song JB with good all round arrangement and sound....I thought the mix was great.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 08:11:14 AM »
HI,

Like Alan said:

I'm not sure the mix is right but the song is great.

i totally agree :)

I really felt like a teenager again, listening to this. "Bad religion" "No FX" "sex pistols"?

loved it

B

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:28:17 PM »
This could be the theme song for my "Late Bloomers Rock" project. It's perfect.

I'm surprised by the number of people who sound good to me who don't like their own voices. I think a lot of people wish they had what I think of as "vanilla" voices. They're pleasant enough but don't stand out at all. Voices with character are much better, in my opinion.

You're on pitch, in rhythm, and your voice is interesting and fun to hear.

I agree that the middle 8 is the shakiest bit of the song and could use some tightening and refining, but otherwise I have no nits at all. It's awesome!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »
Great stuff, JB

Meaty and muscular and a great mission statement too.

Your vocals give you an identity all your own...very distinctive.

Guitars are huge!

If I had to find anything that wasn't 100% my cup of tea, it was that I prefer drums to sound more old-school  :) but then again, I'm a dinosaur  :P
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »
Really fun rock festival style song - guitars are unruly and unpredictable with great tones. Love the really deep chord after line one of the verse and the way you go up on the word "die" when I expected you to go down. Middle 8 was a bit brutal, and I hope not 100% historically accurate, though boldly contrasting with the rest which is what it should do. But great song idea and the clusters of rhymes are really well written.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »

Ok.... from a working class, overweight, old man, to a middle class, middle aged, middleweight,
 middle man.......bloody great song ;D ;D

Interesting story, and am glad to see you came out of the other side with all guns blazin ;D

Love the lyrics, can really identify with them, and the music......great energy and playing.
 Gets me on a 'primal' level ;D  But where is the epic guitar solo.  I thought it was
 coming a couple of times....but was left wanting ;D

Great song JB.  Always a pleasure to hear your work ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 05:50:31 PM »
Hi Jambrains

What a great rocker - and the lyrics mean something important.
Lyrics like that are seldom delivered in a rock song these days.
Love your vocals, guitars and the in-your-face approach.
Interesting how this sits on the tonic a lot and hardly ever seems to resolve back to the dominant - which makes us want to listen further to get that resolution we so crave  ;D ;D

Fine work  ;D
Paul

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »

Hi Jambrains,
      Took the bloody roof off, love it, really kicks ass. Nothing wrong with the vocal, and words are good and meaningful. I was also expecting a solo at some point, but no matter, it will do for me just the way it is.

Vintage54

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »
Absolute belter...all your fears are unfounded mate....
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!