How do you write a song?

• 11 Replies

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »
 ???

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »
I could write about The different ways that I approach the task: writing with guitar, piano, writing to rhythms,writing a structure then melody, sometimes writing a melody then harmony and structure but my most honest  mehod, is to live and experience life, both good and bad .  I then write about all of those experiences and follow my instinct, using either guitar or piano to express myself.  Mostly, I try to communicate emotion using words and music.  It's kind of like - here I am. I have recently experienced something and this is my take on what happened.  I simply comment on experiences and occasionally, I connect with people.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:54:14 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Sea

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »
How do you write a song? do you mean..
1. where to get a song idea  or
2.how does a person find the words to start the first lyric line or
3. how do l structure a song
4.does a song start with lyrics or the music
and so on, and so on...

writing a song can be a completely  different process to a another song writer sitting next to you,,we are all different in our approach to 'writing a song' but they all follow a 'structure' after the idea of a song is found...  to be able to get the 'message' across.

me..where do l start..

well, l start with a title idea..l think that's because l write a lot of poetry and that's how it works for me, so my lyric writing seems to be taking the same path.
l work from that base..the title..and move it forward and expand it to see if l can make lyrics from it.

for others, it could a musical base idea..then lyric's may come later.

l do writing practice everyday. This is what l do...

take some thing you can see..anything...then l close my eyes and then every thing l 'feel' about that something l looked at , l write down..in as much visual words as l can find.
Everything ie its shape, colour, smell, feel and touch, weight, texture so and so, use your writing to express all the 'senses'.
if its a 'emotion' l want to write about, l do the same thing ie say its  a 'sad' emotion l want to write about,l close my eyes, visualise that emotion, thenl write all the 'senses' l feel from it or memories its transported me to as l visualise it.

l do this practice every day say for about 15 mins

you will be amazed at how what you first looked at and now wrote down about it ,in word expression. it will be really surprising, l love doing this as lm always amazed..You are writing to express a 'vision' you can see, to be able to relate to someone else.

it might be different for someone else how they write a song as l said, but that's how l go about writing a song,
 but the end result for all songwriters is to get the 'listener'   to 'visualise and feel the emotion' what the songwriter  'see'.

how to structure the words/sentence into a song..well that's another ball game..one lm trying to study lol.

and to make it harder ,the songwriting profession has changed a lot over the years. Its very differ structure to how it was, say in the 50s, 60's , 70s etc etc. It changes , but l love the history of songwriting, everything about, it fascinates me. :)

did this help , sorry if it was just waffle..but good luck on your songwriting journey.

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 01:04:30 PM »
My rock songs normally start with a guitar sound or a riff. Then I play accompaniments for verses and chorus that fit. The bridge or (accompaniment for the) solo come last. By adding bass and (MIDI) drums I complete the backing track. Then the file usually rests for a while before I begin trying to find fitting lyrics (a similar approach as in topline writing for pop songs).

My folk songs normally begin their existence with the lyrics. When they are done I pick up my acoustic guitar and try to find fitting chords and a (vocal) tune. As with rock songs between these steps may lie several years.

Examples:
Rock (on my mind):  http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13588876&q=hi

Folk (Europa): http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13430743&q=hi
it took about 10 years before I tackled creating the music ;-)

Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

MinuteSekunde

• Busker
  • https://soundcloud.com/manhattanfromthesky
    • https://soundcloud.com/manhattanfromthesky
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:47:34 PM »
Mostly, for me, I write a poem.

I then change said poem into lyrics by putting chords to words and changing the pattern of how the structure is.

Alternatively, I see something or hear a word and I start singing lyrics in my head and write them down and I'll start to think about how I'd want to put that to music.

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
For me, it begins with 2 things, separate from each other but then combined.

First - an idea for a song. To me, it means a topic which I would like to cover with no relevance to how. My preferred topic nowadays is the realities of online life. So I would think about what bothers or excites me online. For example - Let's play channels on youtube - why would someone like to see others play instead of plying themselves. Or another idea why do I log in to Gmail with @gmail.com while I'm unable to use ay other @somthing.com.

Second - the rhythm of the lyrics. It can be a melody but I don't like this method because it limits me in terms of switching to pre-choruses or bridges (and other things). So I prefer rhythm, basically, take a pencil and tap a rhythm on a table. Every tap means an end of a syllable, every pause can mean a space between the words or a prolonged vowel.
This is where the magic happens - most of the pauses can be used either way in the very same song!

Now when there are a rhythm and a topic, the writing can begin.
I try to come up with a phrase which sits exactly in the rhythm when spoken out loud. If it does not sound stupid, I write the next one and so on.

When it gets boring, I switch to a new rhythm but try to maintain some relation to the original one.
This is what makes the other parts of the song - pre-choruses, choruses, bridges, you name it...

When this is done, the melody part is easier because this writing process ensures that there will be a multitude of melodies and moods that fit and strumming randomly your guitar becomes more relevant and fruitful.

An advanced technique - I never shared any of my songs which are written this way because I'm still elaborating on what to do with such songs.

In addition to the above, there are 2 parts to add:

1. write a small description of the song flow and intended tricks/stunts. Let's use an example.

A song about gmail.com.
I want this song to start slow and then go up in tempo each verse. I want the song to have a space for a breakdown/drop near its end. The song words will not refer Gmail directly and the meaning would be understood only next to an image of Gmail.com login. The song will make a whole other sense without the image.

2. Write or draw an emotional chart of the song structure.

Following our example:
The song starts with a neutral tone, switching to questioning and annoyance, next is the rage, finish on quiet grief. Romantic theme

Now we know the full structure of the song and which components are necessary.

And the final product will look like this:

We have but time

Verse 1:
You and I lived long together
I still remember how you made me better
Without You I'd still live in the dark
But still you bear a little doubtful mark

Chorus:

What is the logic behind wasted time?
I worship you but asking is no crime!
Why torture me why make me feel so low?
Mysterious, why can’t you make me know?

Verse 2:
The price is right, be damn your imperfections!
I tried to chat and got only rejections!
Be damned you still, I’ll come another day
And you again, will have me your own way

Chorus:

What is the logic behind wasted time?
I worship you but asking is no crime!
Why torture me why make me feel so low?
Mysterious, why can’t you make me know?

at the end, change the initial title of the song. Trust me, I'm an engineer
Have a great day!

junkman

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 11:27:35 AM »
I'm guessing maybe you're suffering an excess of self consciousness? My first couple of years were like that, banging my head against a wall, totally failing to write anything. The only thing that allowed me to break through that was giving up! I decided I sucked and started just messing around. I decided to try and make the most annoying music I could, because I knew I could probably excel at that straight out.

And what do you know, after not too long I came up with a couple of riffs I liked, by mistake! It turns out, without realising it I'd found a way to make it fun for myself, rather than trying to do something brilliant. So that's my advice. Try to think of a way to make it fun for yourself, to make yourself laugh even. That's a pretty good shortcut to your creative soul, if you have one - you'll find, in a playful sense, a way to please yourself, and then ideas you actually like musically may follow naturally from that.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 03:14:46 PM »
How?

By keeping my ears and brain open to receive.

Capture concept, title and jots down some words and fettle them - on my own or with a co-writer. Or agree to write to someone else's lyric  ;D

Then start playing with chords, melody or drums pattens on guitar or piano, often swapping around. Maybe capture on iphone or just see if I can remember it the next day.

If its inspiring and/or half good I'll keep working until I've a good enough demo, if not it withers and dies, occasionally to be resurrected later.

But its all about being open to the muse for me.

:)
neil   
songwriter of no repute..

Oldbutyet

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 11:18:59 PM »
How do you write a song

First of its hard to explain "how do you write a song" for me a song comes in two parts, lyrics and melody put them together and you have a song and then there's the other way, writing lyrics and playing the melody together, your question is one line.

You been on the forum for a while which is good, it tells me and maybe others thats maybe you have loads of words lyrics melody ideas that for you are not connection with each other, maybe its a case of you trying to hard, again your question is one line so i don't know.

Okay what works for me, i don't shy away from expression when it comes to writing or putting a melody to someone else's lyrics, i go for it by letting it out there so i can hear it back and then we take control of it because at that moment we meaning (lyrics melody vocals and me) are not finish with it yet, do you understand about (don't shy away from expression)

I strongly suggest you get involve in the lyric section, they'll put you right on your lyrics and just take the flow from there.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 01:20:30 AM »
How?

By keeping my ears and brain open to receive.

Capture concept, title and jots down some words and fettle them - on my own or with a co-writer. Or agree to write to someone else's lyric  ;D

Then start playing with chords, melody or drums pattens on guitar or piano, often swapping around. Maybe capture on iphone or just see if I can remember it the next day.

If its inspiring and/or half good I'll keep working until I've a good enough demo, if not it withers and dies, occasionally to be resurrected later.

But its all about being open to the muse for me.

:)
neil   

What he said

M

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »
Hi
interesting question!

Mainly, I write a melody first, sometimes first the chorus, sometimes the verse.  I play about with them to make sure I think they fit, and sketch out an idea of a structure. Sometimes the melody "arrives" in my head, sometimes I play an instrument and get a nice chord sequence, and fit a melody around that.
Then I write the lyrics. Ideas for that come from many place, personal experience of life through to issues in the news, but I tend to like personal ones more.

i don't see myself as a poet - nothing wrong with that approach at all, but that's not me, so I tend to write a story, a lyric with a narrative and fairly direct.

I also write  with a partner, who has done lots more lyrics than me, and helps me when I get stuck!

People have made lots of assumptions about why you are asking. Curious to know, why do you ask?

Dave

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 09:42:26 PM »
It usually starts with a single line of song. Words and music.
Sometimes it ends there too.
Other times it's like this line has a secret that I have to figure out.
So I let it be for a while and do some other stuff.
Then through memories and association I solve the puzzle of that line.
The rest is just work.