konalavadome

You have 600 bucks to buy a guitar - what do you buy?

• 15 Replies

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:32:53 PM »
/

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:40:40 PM »
Jack Daniels and strippers?

I can't play guitar ;D

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:54:56 PM »
That's enough.Have you a style, player or sound in mind? Electric - if so do you have an amp? I'd spend the same on each and you should test them together if possible.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 07:29:35 AM »

You can pick one of these up for around £500.  I got one, and love it ;D

Depends what you want to do......
 talk to Skub, he makes em ;D ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:54:50 AM »
As NEIL C said we need much more info of what you are looking for to be able to help you out

However, for a TELE style guitar BIN's recommendation hits the mark

For a STRAT style I would check out the MEXICAN strats - or go second hand and you will likely be able to pick up a US Strat, which may hold a little more re-sale value

You are also in range of some nice acoustics - I would suggest going for a solid top

Save around $60 for a pro setup to make whatever guitar you go for a great player and you will have years of fun
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »
Jack Daniels and strippers?

I can't play guitar ;D

:D

We used to have this expression on another forum I frequented . . . MAP. It was used so often there was a custom emoji made for the group by one of the developers. It stands for "Men are pigs."

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
Hi Jenna,

If you mean, what would I like to buy next,  I would say a Taylor Big Baby. I've played one or two in music shops and have loved them.  If you're saying 600 is  your budget budget and you're wondering which guitar to buy,  then so many factors come into play.  Jumping back to the Taylor Big Baby, It's a great instrument to write with.   It won't take up a great deal of space, the sound is beautiful and it's very portable.  Despite all of the guitars that I have owned down the years, acquiring my first guitar, a second hand Eko Ranger acoustic guitar was the most important acquisition.  Firstly, I no longer had to steal my sister's classical guitar when she wasn't in. Secondly, I llost myself in a world of music and songwriting.  I can honestly say that I learned to write with an acoustic guitar and I think,  I penned some beautiful songs, long before affordable home studios were on my radar.  A quality acoustic will serve you well for many years. 

Paul

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 01:46:30 PM »
Guitars are yesterday's news.
Buy a piano - MIDI - weighted keys.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:30:53 PM by Paulski »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »
Guitars are yesterday's news.
Buy a piano - MIDI - weighted keys.  ;D ;D
Don't forget "hammer action".  :P

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 03:13:15 PM »
I'd get a red one  :P
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 05:38:40 PM »
Some really good suggestions here, but one man's magic is another man's meh. If I were you, I'd go into a guitar shop and ask to try out a range of guitars priced at $600 and below (if they're acoustic, make sure they have solid top only). Try them out. Even if you can't play much or at all, one or two will stand out as being comfortable for your body and playing style  and the sound you're after. Try to ignore the prices at this stage. The right guitar might only be $300 - you just don't know till you've got it in your hands. If you really lack confidence in playing it, get the sales assistants to demonstrate the ones you like most so you can listen objectively to the sound and make a more informed decision.

Good luck, and enjoy your new guitar! :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »
As NEIL C said we need much more info of what you are looking for to be able to help you out
But I wasn't asking about myself.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 07:15:15 PM »
But I wasn't asking about myself.
What the buyer is looking for! C'mon man, we're trying to help out here, at least meet us half way.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 06:03:14 AM »
For the blues player, I'd go for one of these in a heartbeat: Ibanez AFJ95B

They have a beautiful tone for jazz, too. It's a semi-acoustic, which has appeal for anyone undecided on which direction to go between electric or acoustic. I think they're a great compromise between the two, and I managed to pick up one of their lower end models used at a good price for my first go with an electric. Check out the other reviews on Youtube for sound demos. There are a few of them.

The only downside to one of these archtops is that their design makes it difficult to play the modern percussion techniques. There isn't much room for tapping, thumping, scratching, etc.

Keep in mind, I'm not a pro player, just a hobbyist. But I do have a similar model and some experience playing it, an interest in fingerstyle techniques, and have had difficulty finding places on the guitar to add in a kick drum or deeper percussion sound. It's just not there on this style of guitar. But how many people actually play that way? Whoever you're shopping for may not have that as a concern, and I've got an acoustic to learn those techniques - so it's not a show stopper in that sense, either.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:24:30 AM by Jenna »

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 02:18:39 PM »
Don't forget to look at the selection of USED guitars!
You can sometimes find a great axe for pretty cheap if you don't limit yourself to the new stuff.