First song. About my brother in law who recently committed suicide. 'No Chance'

• 16 Replies

Tombay86

• Busker
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:39:38 PM »
Hi, this is my first song. I've never wrote a song, im not a singer or a musician. It just came to me Saturday night whilst in bed n by Monday afternoon it was done. I don't know if it's good, bad, ok or shocking. Any feedback will be taken on board and I won't be offended.

A warm summer evening
A knock at the door
I could see it in my fathers eyes.
That something had happened,
He didn't looked happy
And told me that you had just died.
He gave me the details
Of how it had happened
The place, the horror, the time
I didn't quite get it or even believe it
And still now it doesn't feel right.

CHORUS:
You made the decision
You weren't really thinking
Gave her no chance for goodbye.
Now she's all a mess And
the family's in pieces,
And we've all got tears in our eyes.

You left her a widow
With 3 gorgeous children
And this will take her some time
To get through the pain
That she is now feeling
It'll be with her for her lifetime.
Through all the heartache
The family grows stronger
But it's Guna hurt for a while.
It's pulled us together
We cannot be distant
Forever you'll be in our mind.

You made the decision
Now she's all a mess And
the family's in pieces,

Church bells were ringing
The choir was signing
Hands were held overly tight.
Your daughter she stood up
Spoke in her own words.
And I just sat there and cried.
A miscalculation
Without Rhyme or reason
U did it without warning signs.
The worse thing about it
we'll always be asking
It happened and no1 knows why.

You made the decision
Now she's all a mess And
the family's in pieces,

You made the decision

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
Tombay, sorry about your loss.
It reads as honest, hardfelt and true, I'm sure it's good to get some this stuff out.

There are a few technical suggestions I could make (eg I'm might change daughter to her name ) but I'm be inclined to leave it as it is unless you want it put to music.
I wrote a song on exactly the same subject about 20 years ago about my uncle.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »
In spite of the solid meter and the rhymes your text doesn't quite 'feel' like song lyrics to me, not even a proper poem. It is too close to a report, I guess (namely the first two verses).

I suspect that it is trying to do the subject - and your own feelings - justice that actually spoils the effort. This is why I actually recommend to NOT write about one's own experiences or feelings: you are not free to write effectfully and give your lyrics a good feel and flow (rhyme and meter).

BUT: that is just my personal opinion and experience. My worst(!) lyrics are about my friend Bellie who commited suicide. Nobody but me will understand the song. I had written it for myself and in memory of Bellie so it's okay for me - but no use for an anonymous audience.

With regard to structure, meter, and rhyme your writing looks quite solid. Maybe you just discovered a new hobby?

All the best!
Bernd
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

Tombay86

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:57:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I don't really know what I want to do with it. Had a quick look around internet n found this place so I thought I'd see what people thought.
Never wrote anything before and it just came to me so I thought I'd just write what was in my head not having any idea if it was right, good or bad n probably a complete 1 off moment.
Cheers 

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 06:54:01 PM »
Hi Tombay,

sorry to hear about your loss. As the lyrics are personal its difficult to know how to make any suggestions. So I've decided to jump straight in and hope I don't upset you too much.

You have a good structure to your song. Verses that develop from one another, a strong chorus and a possible bridge or middle 8.

I agree with Bernd about it sounding like a report rather than a song. However there are things you could try to turn it into a song. I'm assuming you don't have a melody in your head for this to allow me to make a few suggestions.

You could consider starting

On a warm summer's evening
There was a knocking at the door
I saw the pain in his eyes

The introduction allows the listener to step inside the singer's head and see what he sees. You are showing the listener the scene rather than telling them. the rest of the verse could be written in a similar way. 

If you'd like me to take this further let me know and I'll make a few more suggestions.

Welcome to the forum,

Keith

Tombay86

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »
Thanks Keith. Honestly don't feel like you can't say anything. I have got a melody in my head  but the lyrics you've adjusted fit in with it I think. Any advise u can give will be gratefully received and took on board. Thanks for your feedback and feel free to suggest away

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 10:24:33 PM »
Thanks Keith. Honestly don't feel like you can't say anything. I have got a melody in my head  but the lyrics you've adjusted fit in with it I think. Any advise u can give will be gratefully received and took on board. Thanks for your feedback and feel free to suggest away

I'll have a think and get back to you tomorrow.

Keith

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 07:16:52 PM »
Hi Tom,

having thought about how to develop what I did yesterday, these are my thoughts:

On a warm summer's evening
There was a knocking at the door
I saw the pain in his eyes
When he told me you had died
I asked him when and how
When he told me he just cried
I just screamed out why
Why, oh why did he leave her
To face the future alone

I'm not sure about the next two lines as this seems like a natural place to move to the chorus.

Please let me know if any of these suggestions are of any help.

Thanks,

Keith

kartman

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 03:30:39 PM »
Sorry about your loss.
As for the song, I like it. It is indeed a bit too straight and plain, but I think it will click with people if you decide to put words to music. It is easy to understand and relate to, it is very honest, the chorus is great, and you basically need nothing else for a song to work.

I have mixed feelings about giving detailed suggestions/edits becase I so much dont want to stress you more than you already are, but if I wanted to make this song better I'd work on making it more dramatic ("He doesn't look happy", "it's Guna hurt for a while." sound like big understatements) and less formal (e.g. "He gave me the details"). Hope this helps.

Stan.

Sea

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 05:12:11 PM »
So sorry for your loss. Poem and lyric writing is a great way to heal in my opinion, so l can understand your wanting to put pen to paper.

l agree with all the other feedback you have had. In my opinion ,your writing could be made into a lyrical song. You have the 'words' there..

l wont say how l would arrange your words (which are very heartfelt) into a musical lyric. They are very personal to you.
l feel  all words to a good song has to be first written freely down  before re arranged into lyrics.. All song writing now a days is so structured, more so than a book or poems..and in my opinion song writing is so much harder than writing a book or a poem, which l do.

if its any help l will say what l look for when lm studying famous successful Lyricists, which lm doing now as l want to be a Lyricist.

When l analyse songs ,l look to see if l can tick boxes to the lyrics lm reading/analysing ie when lm studying famous Artist's musical lyric's. If all the boxes are ticked, then l know why it was a successful musical lyric. The  Artist song may use even extremely simple words  and may have a very few verse/chorus etc  but the 'structure' is well formatted and 'tight' by the writer . lm still learning, lm still studying and lv a very long way to before l master the art of song writing but here are a

few tips from some of my own notes lv got written down into my own journals, as lm learning song writing. Its what lm using as a reference , as l practice song writing exercises daily. Hope it's a help. My below notes are my own personal reference, they help me, they may not be helpful to you, but l thought l would share them. The below is not referring to your song, it just my own notes l use to study.

l. Is the title really 'tight'.... does it'.... ' show' me in my minds eye what the song is about.
2. does the intro of the lyrics to the song grab my attention straight away or is it 'loose'  which would make me not want to know more ie listen to rest of song... 'know more' is one of many keys to a good song lyric....
3.does the words in the lyric have lots of action words to keep me interested.ie verbs
4. does the song have far to many verses that are not really needed to get the message across. Lyrics to song are just a small % of a song as music also play a vast part to the 'message'. Lyrics are not a book or poem writing ie that can be written at length. Song lyrics have to be 'very tight' in word choice and every single word has to earn it's place in such a small format ie song lyrics. That's why verbs ie action words are used a lot in songs. Lyrics in song don't even have to be 'clever' .The simplest word/sentence can convey a whole meaning. Keep searching for the right word/sentence to convey the message to keep it flowing forward.
5.does the lyrics flow effortlessly forward, or is there an imbalance to the intro,verse,chorus bridge outro
6. does the outro leave me feeling something is missing in the 'message' or am l left in mid air because of the choice of words/sentence used in the lyrics.

these are just a few of my own personal notes l use as my reference as l study songwriting ..lm still learning..lv still a long way to go...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:15:12 PM by Sea »

Tombay86

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 08:43:25 PM »
Hi, seriously thanks for all your replies. It means a lot that people have looked at it, took time to read it and digest it and give feedback, wether it's good or bad. Thank you. At some stage I'm going to sit down and have a play with it to improve it.please don't feel like u have to hold back on your replies. If it's crap, I'm listening, if it needs improvements, I'll try to improve it, if it's good then cool. Cheers

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 08:37:12 PM »

Hello Tombay, and welcome.
        A difficult subject to write about, especially from first hand experience, i feel for you my friend. I know where some of the earlier posts are coming from when they say it reads like a report, and their observations are indeed valid. However, i'm finding it hard to be critical, and that's not out of sympathy. The tune i heard in my head when getting into the flow and rhythm, put me in mind of another song that i can't quite pin down at this moment in time, so many in my head. The chorus is top notch, and yes, certain parts need work, but for a first post, this is pretty impressive. Don't leave it there, let's hear more.
For me, the purpose of writing, is to make the listener or reader, feel the same things you felt when composing. I think with this, you mostly succeeded.

Vintage54

Tombay86

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 09:32:08 PM »
Thank you vintage. Really appreciate what you've said. Going have a play over the next few days, I've already changed a few very small parts today. I'll post it when I've finished it.

Tombay86

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
Right, I've had a play around with and tried to take everyone's advise on board. I don't know if it improves it, or makes it more like a song but hopefully it's ok. Please feel free to give any advise, good or bad. I'm not sure wether to post it as a new thread so people see it or not.

'No chance'

A warm summer evening
a knock at the door and
The pain was clear in his eyes.
something had happened,
Lost and heart broken
He told me that you had just died.
A strange reaction
Uncharacteristic
The choice was that it was your time.
I didn't quite get it or even believe it
And still now it doesn't feel right.

CHORUS:
You made the decision
Now she's all a mess And
the family's in pieces,

You left her a widow
A void now without you
She's lost her partner in crime.
How to move forward
How to get through this
Your next guess is as good as mine.
So many questions
Mainly unanswered
Hers heart shattered your for her lifetime.
Through all the heartache
The tears and the anger
Forever you'll be in our mind.

You made the decision
Now she's all a mess And
the family's in pieces,

Church bells were ringing
The choir was signing
Hands were held overly tight.