Hi, I'm new to this. Can anyone help please?

• 4 Replies

Tombay86

• Busker
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:47:52 PM »
Hi,

I've never done any song writing before or really know what to do, but on Saturday night a song came into my head, and by Monday afternoon I'd written a song. It's about my brother in law who recently committed suicide. I'm really not sure what to do next. I don't even know if it's any good, for all I know it could be garbage lol. I don't know what happens regarding putting your lyrics out there for people to see, can they 'steal' them and claim it as their own? Do I need to protect this? Have I got to fully develop the song and produce a demo to go anywhere with it or are the lyrics enough for someone to see potential in it? I'm not even sure how I want to move forward with it to be honest. Any help would be great and sorry if it's r ally vague and if people ask crap questions like this all the time.

Abit of background regarding me, I love music. Just recently been to Glastonbury for the 4th timeanf took my 3 year old daughter for her first glasto. I'm no expert but I'm a big music fan.

Thanks

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:58:59 PM »
Hi Tom and welcome.  This is a freindly forum for songwriters on all stages of their creative journey (Have I really just said creative journey? )  Anyway there are loads of tallented lyricists on the forum and it's for everyone. I Would suggest posting some lyrics in the lyrics section and I'm sure you'll get some great feedback. All the best. John

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 11:00:49 PM »
Hi Tombay,

Congrats on writing your first song.

Can people steal your lyrics? Yes.

Are they likely to? Not really.

If you're worried about that getting them up in line in a place like this is a good way of evidencing that you wrote them, and when.

Throw your song up on the feedback board and people will give you there opinion on it. You'll get more responses if you review other people's work.

In terms of where you go next, it depends what you're looking for. Do you want to be a professional song writer or artist or are you just doing it for fun.  The first two are hard to break into so some lyrics wouldn't really cut it. You'd need a song presented in its best possible light to stand a chance.bif you just want to be a lyricist, then I guess that's all you need, I don't have much experience of that.

I would dig around the different sections here and see what tips you can pick up and think about putting that song up for review.

Folk are quite friendly.

Yodasdad

Tombay86

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 11:29:21 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies. Regarding the question of where I want to go next, I don't really know. There's no way I'm an artist. I can't really sing, I don't play any instruments so I'm not really sure. It just came to me so I felt I needed to get it written down. I'll have a look in the lyrics section and see what's happening. Thanks

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum

You have definitely found the right place to share your lyrics, get advice on improving lyrics and guidance on what to do next

If you want to turn your lyrics in to a "song" and you don't play an instrument I would suggest that your next step is to find someone to collaborate with where you can discuss ideas and someone else can set them to music and record a demo

I would therefore take some time poking around the forum and listening to member's songs

If you find a few members who are writing the type of songs you think would work well with your lyric there is no harm at all sending them a PM (PRIVATE MESSAGE) via the forum to start discussing a potential collaboration

If you just want to "throw it out there" then we have a COLLABORATIONS board where you can publicly ask for a collaborator - but if it was me and I found someone who I wanted to collaborate with I would be much more direct and contact them via a PM - the worst thing that can happen is they say no, which means you are no worse off!

Good luck and I am looking forward to hearing the song one day
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic