konalavadome

Crow - The Signal Fires

• 19 Replies

Andyb

« on: July 13, 2017, 12:24:16 PM »
brand new song from The Signal Fires as we continue marching towards having enough material for an album one song at a time.

Bit of a heavier sound for us this time

Lyrics:
Break cleanly
I have nothing left
I've gone and lost it all again

So sweetly
Hang your bloody head
It's time to fall and take the blame

You were the voice of a generation
hold your wicked tongue
and keep your thoughts unto yourself

Completely
I'm finished with your ****
It's all on you and no one else

It's time to face the truth
your lies are growing old
The past is no excuse
but I'm not one to crow

Discretely
no use in splitting hairs
They've gone and left you all alone

Repeating
Bite your lip
your words reflect your broken home

Andyb

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »
This was the first song we worked on where the majority of the music was written before we even approached the vocals. It wasn't the easiest process for me (as the singer) and, whether it was a result of this or not, the lyrics ended up being the least "poetic" lyrics I've written. Was fairly happy with the harmonies, one take and no autotune whatsoever ! ;)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »
This is a GREAT track Andy, loved it.  Big 'n heavy QOTSA / Sabbath style riffing, and you maintain 10 barrel-loads of energy throughout this yet STILL manage to give it peaks and troughs so it doesn't feel repetitive.  Favourite moments for me are 1) the opening (great to start with just that single shouted word - grabs your attention straight away), 2) when the open hi-hats kick in at 50 seconds ('we have lift off...'), and 3) the ending: as abrupt as the beginning, but it should be for this kind of track.  Great vocals, and very professionally produced throughout. I liked the lyrics too (don't worry about them being not poetic!) and the title is cool, especially you play on the double meaning of the word crow.  I think I liked this even more than your last one and nothing I would point out for improvement here.  Remember us when this song makes you famous.  ;)
It's all too beautiful.

Andyb

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:23:19 PM »
This is a GREAT track Andy, loved it.  Big 'n heavy QOTSA / Sabbath style riffing, and you maintain 10 barrel-loads of energy throughout this yet STILL manage to give it peaks and troughs so it doesn't feel repetitive.  Favourite moments for me are 1) the opening (great to start with just that single shouted word - grabs your attention straight away), 2) when the open hi-hats kick in at 50 seconds ('we have lift off...'), and 3) the ending: as abrupt as the beginning, but it should be for this kind of track.  Great vocals, and very professionally produced throughout. I liked the lyrics too (don't worry about them being not poetic!) and the title is cool, especially you play on the double meaning of the word crow.  I think I liked this even more than your last one and nothing I would point out for improvement here.  Remember us when this song makes you famous.  ;)

These are very kind words pauly and very much appreciated. There was a bit of editing to get it under 4 mins and the crow at the beginning was a bit of a last minute addition. working with an additional guitar player now and his influence is taking us in a heavier direction, which we have no problem with. Glad you liked it and thanks for taking the time out to comment on it

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 10:19:14 PM »
Hi Andy, I really enjoyed this track. I love songs with a one word title   :) and songs with really long titles.  This was menacing, aggressive and in your face stuff and it rocked like fug. An excellent example of "Big Willy" music as Mrs pompeyjazz would say. You guys should be doing some big festival gigs for sure. Nice one guys  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »
For me it started off with a bit of Killing Joke, moved through the valley of Pearl Jam (sorry), and emerged into the clarity of Foo Fighters (when they were still good).

The entry of the second guitar around 0:50 and again at 2:59 is soooooo good.

The lyrics are totally fine (and much better than Metallica lyrics) so no worries there...

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
Not my genre at all, but this a belter of a track. Second listen in and it keeps getting better. Cleverly done. Very excited for you guys. ;D :D
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »
Est! Est! Est!
All boxes checked, love this.
Can't really add anything in the way of constructive criticism, just going back for another spin.
Great stuff, well done!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 09:26:29 PM »
Yo Andy.

A well crafted piece and light years beyond any criticism from me. Very professionally done.

Andyb

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
Really can't thank you all enough - skub, jambrains, Cazrolina, Adam, Pompey, Pauly - I guess like a lot of you out there we are most critical of our own material and the least confident. Encouragement from such other songwriters like yourselves - who understand what it's like to put your heart and soul in to a project and then hang it out there to be judged by others - means a lot and makes us want to keep writing and producing our own music.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »
Guys,

Nice track, You have a great sound and this is a great song, Your vocal style totally kills this genre..I really love it.

Great work again.

Andy

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 11:23:13 AM »
Sorry I'm a bit late to this one...I listened a few days back but didn't have time to comment.

It's a really great, powerful number...top quality all the way.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Sea

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »
loved this...im off to look at all your other youtube vids..really like your sound.

Mverboekend

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »
loved it! Listening to all your other songs now as well (enemies is really great as well :)). Thanks!!

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 10:10:38 PM »
Top quality stuff - radio ready.
Nuff said. :)