konalavadome

Soundcloud woes...again

• 16 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: July 08, 2017, 10:50:26 PM »
Doesn't look good for those of us who use soundcloud.

Heads up for those who use it as a sole backup.

https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/07/soundcloud-cuts-nearly-half-of-its-staff-in-order-to-stay-afloat/

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:38:14 PM »
The whole business strategy of offering something fully functional for free and only charge if you want a more advanced service is kind of a gamble. For the sake of all the songs I hope it goes well.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »
Yeah...I'd be really sad to see soundcloud go under...I think it's a great service and excellent value at £30 or whatever it is I pay...

Fingers crossed they can get through it okay.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 06:26:09 PM »
I don't know why they don't sell ads, or music or SOMETHING other than relying on the mere pittance struggling musicians can afford to be a premium member. I suppose I should careful what I wish for or they'll be all Beyoncé and no ME  ;D ;D

Andyb

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »
what's the advantages of soundcloud? Personally I knock together a piece of artwork and just stick a "video" up on youtube. I suppose maybe contributors wouldn't want to do this if it wasn't a finished song right enough ( I actually have a soundcloud account but use it for bits of songs / teasers). The guitarist I work with is dead against soundcloud according to him the artists get nothing for soundcloud plays but a very (and I mean VERY) small income for youtube plays? however I'm still waiting on the OK to order my Porsche. The very first track I worked on with my band was published on soundcloud and we ended up on the beat100 chart because of it and got to number one in their rock chart which was pretty cool but ultimately didn't really mean anything. I've given up trying to sell music online.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:46:07 PM by Andyb »

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:34:13 AM »
What alternatives exist for migrating? It's the only place I've uploaded sound tracks so far. There are going to be a lot of upset artists out there. Some people put a lot of time into promoting themselves and their music on Soundcloud. It's time-consuming building a network and audience online. That's a huge loss for people that have achieved it. 

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:32:02 AM »
This really sucks :(  I pay $45 a year, which is nothing, for the service they provide  :) Maybe they should charge everyone who uses the sight, this small fee  :-\

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »
I also find SOUNDCLOUD a fantastic resource for those that simply want to share music and files

I just find it really convenient and easy to use when I want to share tracks, demos and works in progress with different people

I hope they go "back to basics" and focus on being a platform for the "Indie artists" - rather than trying to go "mainstream" in a very competitive market
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 05:02:33 AM »
Glad to hear they plan to stick around. Thanks for sharing. I'll be spreading the word. I see these groups all the time on Facebook asking to share tracks, likes, comments, etc. They work really hard at promoting each others' songs.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »
Ta for the update CS,hopefully it's factual.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 01:50:53 PM »
Ta for the update CS,hopefully it's factual.
RU implying it's FAKE NEWS?  ;D  ;D

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »
Here's the latest I've seen: https://www.axios.com/soundcloud-asks-investors-to-support-rescue-deal-2471398461.html?mc_cid=b927d5ae25&mc_eid=e4fbe6eb9c

I also saw it on techcrunch.com, but I can't find the exact link right now.

Briefly, SoundCloud is telling investors it needs nearly $170 million TODAY. Or else!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 06:09:14 AM »
What alternatives exist for migrating? It's the only place I've uploaded sound tracks so far. There are going to be a lot of upset artists out there. Some people put a lot of time into promoting themselves and their music on Soundcloud. It's time-consuming building a network and audience online. That's a huge loss for people that have achieved it. 

I use Reverbnation.  Bandcamp is still operating.  MySpaceMusic is still alive (last I looked) but no one visits there.  I actually still have an account there I haven't checked in years I think. 

Youtube is an option.  I've even seen facebook used for this . . . but it's not effective as far as I can tell. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »
On the BBC news this morning it looks like Soundcloud have the money they need so it is all good for now, although it does look like there will be some changes coming.

Mikey