konalavadome

• 5 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »
Hi all,

Just discovered this site - never thought to search before. Been playing guitar for about 2 1/2 years. Prefer writing my own stuff to trying endless covers. Posted some work on Justin Sandercoe's excellent guitar website and received decent feedback, so thought I'd try a few posts on a dedicated songwriting forum.

Look forward to hearing from some fellow writers.

All the best,

Digger

mercury

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:16:05 PM »
Welcome Digger.

I, too, have only just joined this site - so from one newbie to another, Hello.

I found this site by chance as I have been looking into returning to writing poetry, song lyrics, etc.  Have come to a bit of a standstill the last few years, but am hoping by visiting sites like this and conversing with others who feel the same about music it will motivate me once more to get writing.

From what I have seen on the site already, and from the few that I have spoken to, it seems like a friendly place here.

Anyway, as a guitar player, may I ask who your guitar heroes are? 

Cheers.  Paul.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
Hi Paul,

Good to hear from you. My heroes would be Angus for his sheer energy and attitude to guitar, and the late, great Gary Moore. I mean there are stacks more who I really like - Hammett, Robbie Krieger, Brian May, etc. I'm not one of those who really goes in for the mega technical playing. I appreciate what they do, and am jealous of their ability, but I'm more in to the song writing side of things.
My attitude to writing is lots of simple things put together can sound pretty good - probably because I'm not capable of the more complicated stuff, but hey ho.

Influences towards my songwriting is a mix of The Doors, Beatles, Depeche Mode and AC/DC, with a little sprinkling of Radiohead - sometimes. Not saying it sounds that great!

Do you write music, or just lyrics?

All the best,

Digger

mercury

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 04:21:35 PM »
Hello again Digger.

In answer to your question regarding whether I write music - the short answer is no.  I wish I could.  I play a little piano and make a few of my own simple compositions here and there, but nothing of any technical greatness.  I attempted to learn guitar in my 20's (37 now!) but just could not get my fingers to accept it.  Trouble with myself is that I have a terribly short attention span!  Bought myself an accoustic few years back but, alas, it just sits there gathering dust.  I just feel much more natural on the piano.   I respect those, like yourself, who do play though.

Have to say I agree with most of your guitar heroes.  To be fair I haven't listened to much of Angus - I own no ac/dc records, although a few of my mates are always banging on about how pure they are in terms of rock.  Gary moore is definately in a league of his own, as is the criminally under-rated Brian May - I adore Queen, and have always felt that Brian's playing gets over-looked, although, to be fair, they did possess one of the greatest frontmen of all time imho! 

Love The Beatles (discovered them properly few years back, and no doubt about it they were bleedin' genuises!), and I own all of Radiohead's albums, favourite being Pablo Honey.

Anyway, gone on a bit too long here mate.  Take it easy.  Paul.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:41:39 PM »
Hi Paul,

I started learning guitar at 37 - big 40 next year. If you're interested I really do recommend http://www.justinguitar.com/

Great teacher. Takes you from zero - to perhaps not guitar hero, but a good standard.

Cheers,

Digger

mercury

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »
Cheers for the heads up about the site, Digger.

Will have a look when I get the chance.

Nice one.  Paul.