konalavadome

Champion

• 30 Replies

s.l.wolf

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 02:57:28 PM »
This is really really good!
It's probably just me, but the backing vocal "give it me good" is repeated a little to often. Just consider experimenting with it.
Also, the part where it goes "eyes in the back of my mind", I think it would be cool to say "mind" the same way you say "sly" that last time, may flow better.
I don't know what the "shock therapy" part means, was a little confused by the use of the word "baby", it just feels like this isn't the song for it.
Generally though, this song is memorable, and it's pretty darn good. :D
"I am no prophet — and here's no great matter.
I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker."

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
I'm going to give you a dissenting opinion.  

The first line ends with "for fuck's sake."  

Now, I don't mind profanity if it has a purpose.  But the line isn't in any way stronger than "for God's sake" would be.  Or "For Christ's sake," or any number of less offensive options.  

I can stand to hear "fuck" in a lyric.  But "Fuck" just for the sake of saying it is a major turn-off to me.  

Then, just a very few lines in, it happens again, and I'm pretty much done reading.  

I'll come back and review this again sometime.  But it's unlikely that I'll decide that shock value has artistic value.  I find myself hoping this does NOT get published to add to the glut of un-necessarily profane "shock pieces" already choking the airwaves.  

Again.... no word should be off limits.  But no word should be used just to get attention if it does not enhance the song.  The two instances I saw did not in any way enhance the song.  The rule I use when writing is "if it NEEDS profanity" to make a point, use the profanity.  It's art, and art should not be censored.  This one did not need the ultra profane word used.  

Okay.... I've gone back and read it again.  The first line simply does not in any way "need" the level of profanity that you've used in my opinion. 

The second use (mother fucking float) is arguably useful to the lyric because it is followed up to the "shock therapy" line, and does (in fact) enhance that line. 

It is my opinion that the (arguably useful) shock value in the "mf float" reference would be enhanced if the "shock card" hadn't already been played in the first line.  You weaken the second use with the first. 

It is also my opinion that it's usually (I try not to say "always" or "never") a mistake to utilize shock value in the first line, or even in the first stanza. 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:35:08 PM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 09:16:47 AM »
This is really really good!
It's probably just me, but the backing vocal "give it me good" is repeated a little to often. Just consider experimenting with it.
Also, the part where it goes "eyes in the back of my mind", I think it would be cool to say "mind" the same way you say "sly" that last time, may flow better.
I don't know what the "shock therapy" part means, was a little confused by the use of the word "baby", it just feels like this isn't the song for it.
Generally though, this song is memorable, and it's pretty darn good. :D

Thank you!

I had a version with "mind" the same as "sly" but then I added in "surprise surprise"

the shock therapy part just means people will be shocked lol. Most of the time I just let the lyrics flow and I don't really change them too much. normally if I do i find myself going back to the original.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Micky

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »
I'm going to give you a dissenting opinion.  

The first line ends with "for fuck's sake."  

Now, I don't mind profanity if it has a purpose.  But the line isn't in any way stronger than "for God's sake" would be.  Or "For Christ's sake," or any number of less offensive options.  

I can stand to hear "fuck" in a lyric.  But "Fuck" just for the sake of saying it is a major turn-off to me.  

Then, just a very few lines in, it happens again, and I'm pretty much done reading.  

I'll come back and review this again sometime.  But it's unlikely that I'll decide that shock value has artistic value.  I find myself hoping this does NOT get published to add to the glut of un-necessarily profane "shock pieces" already choking the airwaves.  

Again.... no word should be off limits.  But no word should be used just to get attention if it does not enhance the song.  The two instances I saw did not in any way enhance the song.  The rule I use when writing is "if it NEEDS profanity" to make a point, use the profanity.  It's art, and art should not be censored.  This one did not need the ultra profane word used.  

Okay.... I've gone back and read it again.  The first line simply does not in any way "need" the level of profanity that you've used in my opinion. 

The second use (mother fucking float) is arguably useful to the lyric because it is followed up to the "shock therapy" line, and does (in fact) enhance that line. 

It is my opinion that the (arguably useful) shock value in the "mf float" reference would be enhanced if the "shock card" hadn't already been played in the first line.  You weaken the second use with the first. 

It is also my opinion that it's usually (I try not to say "always" or "never") a mistake to utilize shock value in the first line, or even in the first stanza. 

I had thought about using "Christ's sake" or "God's sake" instead, but I believe that's more offensive.

And the intention of the F bombs wasn't shock value. The way I write most of my songs is fiddling around with chords, hum some melodies and kind of just say/sing whatever comes out of my mouth. This time around, I wanted to write an empowering anthem. And certain things going on in my life (past and present) were the catalyst to do this. So, while playing some chords, the first line that came out of my mouth was "I've got a backbone for fuck's sake". And I went from there.
It wasn't for the shock value, it was what I felt in the moment. It was me feeling weak, taken advantage of, bullied, disrespected, quiet, shy, depressed, etc. throughout my entire life and taking a step back to remind myself that I do have a backbone. I am stronger than I, or some people, think.

You are 100% entitled to your opinion and have no obligation to listen to this song (even when it gets published). I thought I'd let you know my side of it.

Micky

Andyb

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 12:26:55 PM »
as always the production on your tracks is excellent

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »
as always the production on your tracks is excellent

Thank you!

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »
Strong stuff!

This is a bit more poppy than I would normally admit to liking but like it I did. It had a country flavour to the melody in places as well to my ear.

Can't think of anything I would change. Slick production, strong melodies and modern.

Great track.

Yodasdad

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 09:22:28 PM »
Strong stuff!

This is a bit more poppy than I would normally admit to liking but like it I did. It had a country flavour to the melody in places as well to my ear.

Can't think of anything I would change. Slick production, strong melodies and modern.

Great track.

Yodasdad

Thank you!!

Glad you like it in all of its pop glory lol

Micky

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 06:42:38 PM »
I echo the comments of the other posters..good stuff, just thought the distorted vocal would have been better used at the end..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 09:22:03 AM »
I echo the comments of the other posters..good stuff, just thought the distorted vocal would have been better used at the end..

Thank you!

I've gotten too attached to the distorted vocal LOL

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 12:08:36 AM »
Folk/country met Gaga/Perry. That's one great piece of pop, Micky. Great stuff.
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 10:47:46 PM »
Folk/country met Gaga/Perry. That's one great piece of pop, Micky. Great stuff.

Thank you so much!! :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 08:01:57 AM »
Hey Mickey

I hope you're paying attention out there because I've nominated your song for the July Song of the month competition and it's become kind of a tradition now that if you don't vote in the comp your song will get scratched and I wouldn't like that to happen.

It's a good song and deserves to be in the running I think. Here's the link to the competition. All you've got to do is listen to the other nominated songs and pm me your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices.

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13576.0

Thanks.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 07:44:53 PM »
Hi Mickey, another strong song of course.  My favourite aspect is the way the chorus keeps back some of its ammo... normally choruses throw all they've got at you straight away, but here you hold back the big guns until the second half of each.  Great & unusual idea.  I also like the simple pulsing keyboards that introduce the track, and the layered backing vocals make parts of this sound MASSIVE.  Strong sentiment to the lyrics too that really comes across (can tell you were 'feeling this' when you wrote it).  The only thing I'd change is indeed, I'd ditch the F-words (at least for the 'single' mix, keep them for the 'album' mix if you like...).  I just say that because this potentially could have mass appeal and get airplay, so (if you'd like that) no need to put any potential obstacles in that path given that those words are not essential to the song.  Well done.
It's all too beautiful.

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 08:12:56 PM »
Hi Mickey, another strong song of course.  My favourite aspect is the way the chorus keeps back some of its ammo... normally choruses throw all they've got at you straight away, but here you hold back the big guns until the second half of each.  Great & unusual idea.  I also like the simple pulsing keyboards that introduce the track, and the layered backing vocals make parts of this sound MASSIVE.  Strong sentiment to the lyrics too that really comes across (can tell you were 'feeling this' when you wrote it).  The only thing I'd change is indeed, I'd ditch the F-words (at least for the 'single' mix, keep them for the 'album' mix if you like...).  I just say that because this potentially could have mass appeal and get airplay, so (if you'd like that) no need to put any potential obstacles in that path given that those words are not essential to the song.  Well done.

Thank you!! I really appreciate all the feedback. Glad you like the song! Yea the f bombs would have to go for radio edit for sure but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it ;)

Thanks again!
Micky