konalavadome

Berklee offering a free vocal processing course at Coursera.org

• 10 Replies

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« on: June 26, 2017, 10:38:52 PM »
I love this website. I've taken some great courses through them and Berklee has some really nice offerings. Here's a link to their vocal processing course: The Art of Vocal Processing.

If you've never been to Coursera, do a search on Berklee. They have a Music Production specialization series they're offering. Students can take all of the courses for free, but if they want the completion certificates they charge $50 (US) for each course completed.

Berklee's courses are mainly introductory surveys of material they cover in greater depth through their online college, but for anyone not familiar with the material, it's a great place to get started.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 11:17:41 PM »
I love this website. I've taken some great courses through them and Berklee has some really nice offerings. Here's a link to their vocal processing course: The Art of Vocal Processing.

If you've never been to Coursera, do a search on Berklee. They have a Music Production specialization series they're offering. Students can take all of the courses for free, but if they want the completion certificates they charge $50 (US) for each course completed.

Berklee's courses are mainly introductory surveys of material they cover in greater depth through their online college, but for anyone not familiar with the material, it's a great place to get started.

Forgive me for saying this Jenna but most of us on these songwriters forum never sat in a course, we just goes with the flow, when someone smiles you can see behind their eyes, you're a good lyric writer so dont lose it there, okay  8)

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 11:53:36 PM »

Forgive me for saying this Jenna but most of us on these songwriters forum never sat in a course, we just goes with the flow, when someone smiles you can see behind their eyes, you're a good lyric writer so dont lose it there, okay  8)

Thanks, doll. I only posted it because some of us without raw talent have to go about things the old fashioned way. ;) And I get the feeling there's a whole lot of smarts here beyond what Berklee has available. :)

Oldbutyet

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 12:31:42 AM »

Thanks, doll. I only posted it because some of us without raw talent have to go about things the old fashioned way. ;) And I get the feeling there's a whole lot of smarts here beyond what Berklee has available. :)

Okay  8)

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 07:17:07 AM »
After finishing this, I found it very worthwhile. They give info on how to mix vocal tracks to create a full sound with up to four or more harmonies, how to EQ them to create space for the lead vocals and much more. They go into how compression works, how to push something to the background, left and right balance (forgetting the exact term at the moment). SO much info I'm going to have to go back and review it next time I'm mixing vocals.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 07:45:28 PM »
I took the Berklee songwriting course (Pat Pattison) in 2014 under their old system. It was free and all the assignments were peer graded, so we got a grade of sorts; not professional, but still something. Coursera changed their setup and revamped everything. Until that happened I had access to all the online course activity and materials. After the switcho, all the old online stuff was gone. I had downloaded the videos though, so I still have those.

And I forgot to mention, all the quizzes were graded in the free course back then, so I lucked out there. Overall the course really gave me a great assist in improving my songwriting. Except for “The Mark of the Chains” and “Awakening” I like the songs I’ve written since that course far better than my old stuff.

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:29:34 AM »
Calio, I'm working my way through that one now. What a truckload of information! It's not easy to comprehend, either, as it's been years since studying the nitty gritty of the English language. Dry as can be.

The part on the stresses on syllables and lyric phrases and where the feet are has my eyes crossing from information overload. What's a foot!? Time to take notes so my wee brain can take the time to digest this stuff more slowly as I go along.

But wow. I'm so impressed with the depth of the information given for a free course. Having taken this yourself, I'd enjoy any critiques you could give me on my lyrics. I didn't purchase the course so have no feedback through the class forum on my work.

What did you find most valuable about it in the end?

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
What I found most valuable....it was a revelation to me that there are actually "tools" available to use for writing songs. I had always had the idea that songs just kind of materialized in one's head. And some heads were blessed with better songs than others.

Using Pat's "three boxes", the sound loops they provided, and a rhyming dictionary; making lists of probable words to fit my theme; understanding various aspects of prosody--these were all immensely helpful. And revolutionary for me.

I don't actually remember anything about "feet", but learning about how to fit strong and weak beats into a rhythm that flows with them instead of fighting them--yes, that helped. I've discovered there is always (or maybe I should say "nearly always", just in case) a way to make the strong (and weak) syllables and beats match. And even concepts I wouldn't have thought of, like rising pitches if I'm saying something about being higher, and vice versa. Brings to mind the song with the line "I've got friends in low places" in which the prosody is perfect.  ;D

Ultimately, the most valuable result of Pat Pattison's songwriting course, is that it got me writing more, and more consistently. I've long wanted very much to be a songwriter, and I always thought I never really could be. I may never be as good as I would like, but I can write and I like my songs. Sometimes other people like them too. It's very rewarding. And inspirational. In my religion (I'm a Bahá'í), there's a quote that says something like: Music is a ladder to Heaven. I like that idea. :)

I'm going to go looking for some of your lyrics now....

Vicki

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »
Hey hey,

Nice find - I've  signed up and will feedback my impressions once had a good crack.

Cheers,
Scott

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 10:39:03 PM »
Vicki, the feet were part of the reading assignment, or maybe out of the rhyming dictionary in the "how to use" and "all about poetry" sections. It's a way of categorizing phrases, stresses, or something along those lines. All of this new terminology. I'm finding the same information valuable as you have. Very eye opening, or should I say ear-opening, to be able to fit a rhythm first. It will really help pairing the lyrics to music. I was under the same impression - that songwriting mostly fell out of your head. We hear it so often presented that way.  :D

alierrett

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 03:11:35 PM »
Thanks for this post. I didn't realise they were doing some free courses. I've signed up to Pat Pattison's Lyric writing course. Wouldn't have found it if you hadn't pointed this site out.