Another Life (Collaboration with Skub)

• 12 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: June 26, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »
Davy and I decided that it was about time that we knocked something out together so we've written this little ditty between ourselves. It kind of turned into a "I'm leaving town with a broken heart" sort of a song. Must say that it has been fantastic working with such a talented guy as Davy  :)

Enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/another-life

I turned my back on the big city
I walked away, I took my coat and closed the door
Another life, the open road
My feelings battered, bruised and sore.

My hopes and dreams died in this city
Life goes on, it shows no pity, or remorse
Another life, I walk alone
My pathway on a different course

I turned my back on you and closed the door
You won't be seeing me around for sure

I don't expect or want your pity
The feelings that I used to have are broken on the floor
Another life, The great unknown
I really tried to give you more

(c) Vance / Bradley - 2017

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 03:23:02 PM »
Nice one! Skub knows who to properly handle a guitar for sure! Some really nice progressions and lots of lovely embellishments here and there. The ambient drums in the intro almost made me expect a tinam surf song ;-)

From time the bass guitar gets a bit lost in the ambience of the drums as if had a dose of the drum ambience as well. That is surely not the case but somehow that is the impression and I think it would benefit from a little "tightning", don't ask me how to do it, have no clue! ;-) And at around 1.15 I can swear the bass guitar is suddenly over at one side???

Love the harmonies and the BV but at 1.00 the processing of the BV sounded a little over the top and did not quite fit in my opinion, same thing at around 1.20.
One or two slightly pitchy notes in the lead vox, sound like the key is a little on the high side perhaps? Minor thing in any case.

Very enjoyable overall, a classy offering, well done!

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »
Nice song!
Can't say the bv were my cup of tea. They had this filtered tone to them that felt a bit out of place. But as far as the rest goes I found it very enjoyable.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 09:52:58 PM »
Great intro guys, made me think we were hearing the start of a Motown classic... loved the big drums.  Then the Travelling Wilburys arrived (which is cool too... big fan!).  It felt very neatly constructed to me, no fat in this and it had all the elements to make a tasty dish - clear and strong melody, BVs, guitar solo, big percussion... tick tick tick.  Enjoyed hearing both your voices taking turns as lead in it too, we don't hear that enough in songs anymore I think.  Yes, couple of minor notes where pitch-correct could just nudge the vocal a little but it did not spoil the enjoyment for me.  A big bold song.
It's all too beautiful.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 10:49:25 PM »
Oh the joy of collaboration!! It always feels great to be able to bounce ideas off of someone else doesn't it?

I have to say that I really enjoyed this and in all honesty before I read anyone elses thoughts, I was thinking how much I really loved the backing vocals. I actually really enjoyed the filter tricks u used here and there on them. You could have bashed us over the head with them, but you used them sparingly and I thought it added a nice dynamic to the song.

Alone you are both musical giants...together...you are..like...even bigger giants than you were when you were working on your own.. :o  ;D YEAH!!!!

Great stuff fellas!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »
Two of my favourite forum members get together...hooray!

Quite a later Roy Orbison feel to this, I thought, though I see that someone mentioned the Travelling Wilbury's earlier and that's probably about right, although I much prefer you two...they always seemed to be painting by numbers to me...anyway...I enjoyed this very much...I loved the little guitar flourishes sprinkled here and there...reminded me of something I think Noel Coward said about using lovely things sparingly like caviar, rather than slapping it all over the place like marmalade...or something.

The two contasting vocals worked well together...it definitely enhances and emphasises the collaborative nature of the song.

Lovely big sound too. Great stuff, fellas  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Tommy Blixt

• Open Mic
    • https://soundcloud.com/knownasbeppe
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »
Hello o o o o!

Man oh man oh man this sounded great! I dig the production, first of. The songwriting is really intresting. A little bit of britsh and alot of that Murican' folk. Great stuff.

I think you guys did create a great song!

All with love
Tymm

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 02:01:06 AM »
ah - the power of a collab - greater than the sum of its parts  ;D ;D
I too heard the Traveling Wilburys and nice melody lines and guitar work throughout.
I did find the BVs a bit distracting - maybe bring them down in the mix and give em some more verb.

Well done both  ;D
Paul

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 11:08:09 PM »
I really enjoyed this guys! Big fat drums to kick it off!

Then John comes in his some laid back vocals and lovely supporting guitars and bv

And then the familiar voice of skub!! And that lovely guitar style of his to see us off the second half! I thought this was well put together and interesting throughout!

Great stuff

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 11:47:17 PM »
Hey y'all.

It was an honour to contribute a little to John's song. The initial idea for the song belongs to John,I can only take credit for a little embellishment,including some of the backing vocals that no one likes.  :D

John is a joy to work with,such an easy guy and he pays so well and up front.  :)

I don't care if you like the song or not,I'm sat here on a beach in Greece drinking the proceeds.  :D

Kristupas

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:12:26 AM »
I loved the beautiful guitar sounded(the playing and recording, and mixing).

Honestly, the beginning, seemed kind of slow(I mean emotionally involving me as a listener), but then I got into the song.

And the contrasting part, the bridge(as I suppose) was really nice, good contrast, different vocal groove.

Calm, kind of quirky(maybe, for me), nice summer song :)

Kris

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »
Ah ! Greece,  so that's where you got to then. I must admit when you asked me to post you all those  €50 notes I was a tad suspicious.  You will be glad to know that I've just received our first royalty cheque from Bandcamp.  Err.... hang on it's not a cheque it's a demand for "professional services" Seriously though guys, a wondefull collaboration with an extremely talented guy for which I will be forever grateful  :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
Hi guys, great collaboration. Loved the chord progressions and the vocal swaps worked well too. I heard the travelling wildbuddies too. A pro effort!
Cheers
Jamie