konalavadome

Let's write a party hit! Group collaboration project?

• 147 Replies

Oldbutyet

« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
Using Paul's and my vocals and just repeating lyrics,I've attempted to give the song some shape,a template to work from. Maybe it'll help to show what amount of lyrics we need? Piano and solo stuff can be added later,but if we have a song template,then it's a datum point.

Lemme know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/spin-the-bottle-v1/s-Hx7BA

Okay guys sounds nice but too nice too sweety, Davy can you just record this with lead guitar only so we can hear that flowing ROCK sound, let your fingers flow slide whatever, Paul can you do the same with piano and Bin, im no good with this musician language but can you post the chords, i got an idea  ???

https://soundcloud.com/lollypop-guild/wrecking-ball-a-capella/s-H5KiH

Jenna you're sounding real good, but i think you're singing the wrong song, come to think of it, what song are we actually singing here  ???  anyway, sounds like we're back on track, well hopefully after reading this   ;D  ;D

Have to head away now will talk more  ;D   ???   8)

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2017, 05:13:46 PM »
Using Paul's and my vocals and just repeating lyrics,I've attempted to give the song some shape,a template to work from. Maybe it'll help to show what amount of lyrics we need? Piano and solo stuff can be added later,but if we have a song template,then it's a datum point.

Lemme know what you think.

Love it. Sounds fantastic. I really like what you all have done with it.

Can I get a copy to play on a loop? It might help me work out some more lyrics.

Bin doesn't have the chords. I was hoping to get those earlier in this journey.

In only posted the link of me singing Wrecking Ball as a sample in case we changed direction and made this a female speaker. There aren't many cocktails with the names of women, so it's going to be tricky trying to write more verses using the three or four I can find.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:20:09 PM by Jenna »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »

Love it. Sounds fantastic. I really like what you all have done with it.

Can I get a copy to play on a loop? It might help me work out some more lyrics.

Bin doesn't have the chords. I was hoping to get those earlier in this journey.

In only posted the link of me singing Wrecking Ball as a sample in case we changed direction and made this a female speaker. There aren't many cocktails with the names of women, so it's going to be tricky trying to write more verses using the three or four I can find.

The song is in A major,Jenna. Three chord trick A,D and E.  :)

You can download the current version from soundcloud,if that's a help chasing lyrics.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »

Okay guys sounds nice but too nice too sweety, Davy can you just record this with lead guitar only so we can hear that flowing ROCK sound, let your fingers flow slide whatever, Paul can you do the same with piano and Bin, im no good with this musician language but can you post the chords, i got an idea  ???

There is definitely a place in this song for your narration style vocals Pat,please don't think I've been blanking you,I'm just looking for the right place. It may be a part at the start,put in before the kick off..a break in the high diddle diddle,or at the end. We'll know when it happens,so keep your powder dry dude.  :)

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2017, 12:46:16 AM »
Sounds pretty good skub despite my sketchy vocals  ;D
Think the chorus needs to come in earlier - as they say don't bore us get to the chorus!
Don't have time to record piano until the weekend - maybe it'll be all done by then!!  ;D

Paul

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2017, 02:45:47 AM »
Sounds pretty good skub despite my sketchy vocals  ;D
Think the chorus needs to come in earlier - as they say don't bore us get to the chorus!
Don't have time to record piano until the weekend - maybe it'll be all done by then!!  ;D

Paul

Not unless someone else writes the lyrics. They just aren't coming for me at the moment. Having the chords might help a lot. Now I can play it on the guitar and toy around with it. I like your sketchy vocals. They're raw and rough and have a character all their own. It always seems the unique-sounding vocals are the most interesting to listen to.

I'm playing with some fingerstyle arpeggios for the first two verses before picking up the pace and trying to start it off with a minor sound before the big switch. What's a good chord progression for transitioning from this minor tone to the A major key for the rest? 

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2017, 05:27:11 AM »
Here we go. My latest stab at some more lyrics. I've changed the gender of the speaker because it made it easier to develop the storyline using the names of cocktails. That doesn't mean it has to stay this way. Let me know what you think. Please edit/add/subtract where you hear something better.

Intro verse slow:

V1
I'm picking up a new old habit
And chilling it on ice
Laying to rest our memories
At a bar named Fool's Paradise.

Prechorus 1
Since you've gone I have been
Half-baked out of my mind
Filling up your vacancy with
Every man that I can find.

Chorus 1
Can I get a witness?
We're raising holy hell in Fool's Paradise.
Can I get  witness?
It's liquid love we evangelize
Can I get a witness?
My memory of you's getting euthanized
Can I get a witness?
Jose Cuervo's gets to eulagize

V3
Here in paradise Johnny Walker sits down
And tells Jim Beam it's time to party down.
Then we let out a Rebel Yell
So loud it echoes round Heaven Hill

Prechorus 2
Well I don't need you anymore
To have a good time
I'm out dancing every night
With every man that I can find

Chorus 2
Can I get a witness?
We raise holy hell in Fool's Paradise.
Can I get a witness?
It's liquid love we evangelize.
Can I get a witness?
All memory of you's getting euthanized
Can I get a witness?
Jose Cuervo's going to eulagize.

V4
Jack Daniels warms over and
pinches my seat. Wants to
go for a ride along Easy Street

V5
Jose Cuervo brings a salty treat
After which we hit the floor
To shuffle our feet.

C2
Well I don't need you anymore
To have a good time
I'm out dancing every night
With every man that I can find.

I hear you about getting to the chorus sooner. Does that still apply if we're changing the starting tempo and then kicking it up at the third verse?

And a rough stab at a slower intro. Likely too far off from the current sound for a good blend, though. Not married to it, so . . .

Slow intro sample.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:32:31 AM by Jenna »

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »

Hey guys,

Don't know how far you've got with this, but if you're
 still looking for a backing track.  I've got this that might
 suit.

https://soundcloud.com/binladeda/spin-the-bottle/s-8U5TP

It still needs a lot of work, but I think it's ready for some
 lyrics/vocals. Let me know if you want it. ;D

Seeing as how we've settled on this as the backbone of the piece, how much alteration is possible at this stage of the game? Was this a jam session with your band at some point in the past? I'm curious because I'm trying to stick to regularly timed patterns for the verses and the rest, which makes it easier to build the musical parts, and I'm having a really difficult time fitting everything to the music, like it's jumping around a bit.

I've got the first part of it tabbed out like this:

A A A A
D A E A
A A D A
E A E A
D A E A ?

I've not got it in me at the moment to tab out the rest. It needs some repetition between the sections and I'm not sure it's there at the moment.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
I've added a slow intro,see what y'all think. Your slow into link didn't work for me Jenna.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:23:51 AM by Skub »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »

Hey guys,

Don't know how far you've got with this, but if you're
 still looking for a backing track.  I've got this that might
 suit.

https://soundcloud.com/binladeda/spin-the-bottle/s-8U5TP

It still needs a lot of work, but I think it's ready for some
 lyrics/vocals. Let me know if you want it. ;D

Seeing as how we've settled on this as the backbone of the piece, how much alteration is possible at this stage of the game? Was this a jam session with your band at some point in the past? I'm curious because I'm trying to stick to regularly timed patterns for the verses and the rest, which makes it easier to build the musical parts, and I'm having a really difficult time fitting everything to the music, like it's jumping around a bit.

I've got the first part of it tabbed out like this:

A A A A
D A E A
A A D A
E A E A
D A E A ?

I've not got it in me at the moment to tab out the rest. It needs some repetition between the sections and I'm not sure it's there at the moment.

There are 3 distinct parts Jenna.
When the drums kick in and I start singing,'I'm picking up',it's slightly different to the other verses and it doesn't repeat,so if you leave that as it is,the next part will be of more use to you.

If you make your verse lyrics fit the 'Since you left,I've been'...part,which is also the same as the 'doobee doobee' part,which is also the same as the part Paul used for the chorus. All the same chord pattern.  :)

'In Paradise Jonny Walker', is different again and it repeats,it's kind of a pre chorus.

One thing we are going to have to watch is the song duration. As it sits,with the new intro we are at 4.20,so if we can work with what we have,or less that would be ideal to stop the plot dragging it's arse.  :)

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »

Hey  guys,  ;D ;D

I see the party is picking up the pace, now the two front men
 have the stems ;D ;D

Love the latest demo. I'm going to attempt a bit of slide for
 the solo section. I like the guitar that Skub has put there, but
 if I was to be brutally honest ;D  I think it starts better than it
 ends ;D  it would be nice to have guitar/slide/piano options
 to choose from there anyway.....maybe ::) ::)

Wise words from Skub regarding the length.  It's already on it's
 limit, if not too long. But, it ain't misbehaving yet ;D Still keeps
 attention....my arse was not dragged ;D But we should be looking
 at losing some time....not adding any ;D

Just my thoughts guys...it's all subjective, and it's all good ;D ;D

I doff my musical hat to you all (deep bow of gratitude)  ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Oldbutyet

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »

There is definitely a place in this song for your narration style vocals Pat,please don't think I've been blanking you,I'm just looking for the right place. It may be a part at the start,put in before the kick off..a break in the high diddle diddle,or at the end. We'll know when it happens,so keep your powder dry dude.  :)

Hey Davy

I'm sorry i made you think you been blinking me out, believe me not the case at all, i guess what i was trying to say in my humorous way is that the lyrics has change from the first post of lyrics that Jenna posted, i could explain but honestly i don't want to cause any problems, if i can help out with vocals i be delighted, peace  :)

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2017, 07:21:25 PM »

There are 3 distinct parts Jenna.
When the drums kick in and I start singing,'I'm picking up',it's slightly different to the other verses and it doesn't repeat,so if you leave that as it is,the next part will be of more use to you.

If you make your verse lyrics fit the 'Since you left,I've been'...part,which is also the same as the 'doobee doobee' part,which is also the same as the part Paul used for the chorus. All the same chord pattern.  :)

'In Paradise Jonny Walker', is different again and it repeats,it's kind of a pre chorus.

One thing we are going to have to watch is the song duration. As it sits,with the new intro we are at 4.20,so if we can work with what we have,or less that would be ideal to stop the plot dragging it's arse.  :)

That helps, and I like your intro far better than mine anyway. It may be next week before I can focus on this again, though.

If you want to remake the gender from the latest lyrics, just substitute Pink Lady, Shirley Temple and/or Ruby Duchess with the Jose Cuervo and Jack Daniels. Another thought, if we're going to stick with one gender throughout, does the In Paradise, Johnny Walker verse need changing as well?

On the length, I absolutely agree. It's already long. In the latest iteration the "can I get a witness" are backup vocals like a church chorus to be layered and slightly overlapping the lines of the chorus. This new version is how things changed when I gave a go at fixing things. I don't yet see it matching up with the music unless the pace that it's sung is quite a bit faster. I tried recording a demo of it this way last night but things weren't falling into place and I had to give it a rest.

As stated before, I may not be able to get back to this until next week. In the meantime, I'm not offended with any changes to the lyrics made by others.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:46:07 PM by Jenna »

Oldbutyet

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2017, 02:34:18 AM »
Wow! I love that! Never heard it before. And, oh, wish I could sing like that.

Been watching the party hit thread. Waiting for the end result....  ;D
Okay   8)

Okay   8)

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2017, 03:40:35 AM »

Okay guys sounds nice but too nice too sweety, Davy can you just record this with lead guitar only so we can hear that flowing ROCK sound, let your fingers flow slide whatever, Paul can you do the same with piano and Bin, im no good with this musician language but can you post the chords, i got an idea  ???

There is definitely a place in this song for your narration style vocals Pat,please don't think I've been blanking you,I'm just looking for the right place. It may be a part at the start,put in before the kick off..a break in the high diddle diddle,or at the end. We'll know when it happens,so keep your powder dry dude.  :)

Hey Davy

I'm sorry i made you think you been blinking me out, believe me not the case at all, i guess what i was trying to say in my humorous way is that the lyrics has change from the first post of lyrics that Jenna posted, i could explain but honestly i don't want to cause any problems, if i can help out with vocals i be delighted, peace  :)

Correct. Trying to get a better flow and matchup with the music for the vocalist while developing a storyline at the same time. It's very much in flux. I was under the impression the group was not happy with the original, and to be honest I wasn't planning that to be the final version. The idea was to let it evolve as we went along. Is that okay? I think it would be impossible to hit it right with the first go around, especially for someone as green as myself. ;) I was also hoping for more feedback on the lyrics, as in collaboration/editing/etc. I have no toes left, so no worries about stepping on them. Chainsaw accident.  :D

Does anyone have a full-length tab/score/sketch worked out for the music track? Knowing the number of measures to each section and the chord progressions of them would be really helpful. I've never written lyrics to fit music before and thought it was typically done the other way around so the music supported the lyrics. I'm just a little wet behind the ears it seems.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:48:29 AM by Jenna »