For the nubes

• 4 Replies

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« on: June 25, 2017, 01:45:52 AM »
Like me.  ;D I've been running across some really helpful online resources covering a range of topics related to songwriting. I thought I'd pop in here to post a few links for anyone interested. Lots of pro songwriters out there are diversifying their income streams using blogs, selling access to publishers, holding online collaborations or coaching sessions, running Facebook groups and publishing podcasts. In the process, they give a lot of free information, too.

A few links to helpful tips and insights from insiders:

Holistic Songwriting

Music Producers Forum

Ralph Murphy lecture at Loyola University - how to write a successful song

Berklee College of Music - Music Production Specialization course series at Coursera.org

The CLIMB show

TONS of free information at the links. Have fun!

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 11:44:35 AM »
Nice find - thanks for sharing Jenna!

Some very interesting and helpful looking courses/modules on the Berklee link. It says you need to take a free trial and then subscribe though. You can of course cancel the subscription before the trial runs out. Can you still access all the contents (ie notes and video lectures) if you cancel? I'd like to dip into some of this on a casual basis and clearly wouldn't be able to compete several 4 week courses in 7 days but I don't want to be stuck unnecessarily paying £30 a month for subscription!

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:28:55 PM »
Loving the holistic link. Some great ideas there. Coincidentally, I found a "play backwards" option in garage band this week, and have been reversing a vocal melody line for a few more melody idea directions. Its wonderfully weird to hear yourself backwards, especially when a weird subliminal phrase came out of it!! I'll upload it in a separate thread.

Thanks for the links! Really good stuff.
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 07:09:39 AM »
Nice find - thanks for sharing Jenna!

Some very interesting and helpful looking courses/modules on the Berklee link. It says you need to take a free trial and then subscribe though. You can of course cancel the subscription before the trial runs out. Can you still access all the contents (ie notes and video lectures) if you cancel? I'd like to dip into some of this on a casual basis and clearly wouldn't be able to compete several 4 week courses in 7 days but I don't want to be stuck unnecessarily paying £30 a month for subscription!

Hi Sing. Don't they have some great stuff there!? These places are like goldmines of information for nubes. I'm currently working through the Berklee lyrics course. Here's how it works.

Here in the US you can sign up for the course and not subscribe. You still get access to all of the videos and resources with one exception - the assignments and quizzes don't get graded. You can still do them, but you won't know how well you did on them. That's all.

It's still incredibly informative, and the only time I ever paid for a certificate was for a very intense medical course that I wanted for professional development and to show my skills on LinkedIn. In that instance, I did get a final grade and every exam and assignment required a video login for validating your identity. For the rest, as long as you enroll in the course, you can access the materials for as long as you want. If you're not enrolled, you won't be able to access them.

The idea is to make education and information freely available to everyone who has the ambition to pursue the knowledge.

I'm glad you found the links useful.

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 07:12:54 AM »
Loving the holistic link. Some great ideas there. Coincidentally, I found a "play backwards" option in garage band this week, and have been reversing a vocal melody line for a few more melody idea directions. Its wonderfully weird to hear yourself backwards, especially when a weird subliminal phrase came out of it!! I'll upload it in a separate thread.

Thanks for the links! Really good stuff.

I think that's my favorite link, too, Caz. Interesting find for playing your music backward. I'd be interested hearing how that comes out! I remember that from the 80s "devil music"! Haha. Those evil rock-n-rollers brainwashing our kids with subliminal messages!