konalavadome

An Eye For An Eye

• 29 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:05:43 AM »
Hello good people.  :)

I didn't know whether to post this up or just be content to own it as one of my musical ramblings,but hey..what the hell.  :D

It's a song inspired by on old photograph and the possible tragedy speaking to us all.

Maybe.

I've kind of pushed my creative boundaries on this one,though the casual observer may say it's just a variation of the same old schitt.  :D

What you think is important,or at least interesting.

Through the spiderweb of wrinkles
To the wispy white hair
My watering eye
Sees the man you once were

Haunted by ghosts
Of a future yet to come
You saw it in the shadow
Of things they've done

You mourn for the children
That you never knew
Time rang out the changes
Took them away from you

When it all was over
Those days left behind
An eye for an eye
Left everyone blind

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/an-eye-for-an-eye/s-pnyoq

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:21:04 AM »
Very nice mate! I love me a bit of whistling in a song  ;D lots of interesting things going on musically with some nice harmonies supporting the lead vocal. I loved the outro aswell man. U crammed a lot into 3.15! Wish I could do that!! ::) Nice work man  ;D

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:06:47 AM »
Nice one skub!
Lovely guitar work and interesting arrangement - no predictability here.
Like the lyrics too - just cryptic enough :)
It's a creative work with loads to like.

Good work!
Paul

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »
Hi Skub,

this is great, reminded me of those enormous ballads from the 1950s, big, brash and brilliant. The ending is my favourite part.

Keith

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
hi Skub

I love these melodic songs; the rhythm guitar and instrumental in general are great. How the song takes a break and then it comes back in; really god.

I just think, that the vocals (especially 1st verse) could be sung with more confidence and then brought up a little in the mix.

cheers

B

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
Fine piece of work. The overall vibe, the picture on soundcloud, the whistling, all put me in a western mood which is a top mood to be in. Not sure that was the intention but it works for me.

Love the production and playing and picking, all super. But it's a fine song without any of that. Love that outro!
West Country Country Boy

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:25:38 AM »
Hey Skub, really nice work.  It sounded familiar enough to me to be immediately accessible, yet also held quite a few surprises for its 3-and-a-quarter minutes.  Dig the way you don't repeat yourself too much in the structure and it keeps evolving.  Great layered vocals in the outro especially and I agree with Delb0y that it has a cowboy feel.  Thumbs up, pard'ner.
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 02:59:38 PM »
I like this one Davy, very different and inventive. I think the harmonies are absolutely superb and the guitar work is up to your usual high standard. It's great that you're pushing the boundaries and brilliant to see you getting to grips with the DAW stuff. Well worth it. Excellent  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 10:42:56 PM »
LostBoy

If I had half the pipes you have Leo,it would all come easy. Ta for listening man.  :)

Paulski

Cheers Paul.  :)

diademgrove

The 50s? My era Keith!  :D

TheButcher

More confidence on the vox? That's me giving it everything,man!  :D

delb0y

Thanks Derek,much appreciated.  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »
PaulyX

Ta Paul,there were quite a few firsts for me during the recording process. Glad you enjoyed it.  :)

pompeyjazz

Thanks John,the DAW thing is an ever time hungry resource,the more you learn the less you know,it seems!  :D

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 01:30:01 AM »
Hello good people.  :)

I didn't know whether to post this up or just be content to own it as one of my musical ramblings,but hey..what the hell.  :D

It's a song inspired by on old photograph and the possible tragedy speaking to us all.

Maybe.

I've kind of pushed my creative boundaries on this one,though the casual observer may say it's just a variation of the same old schitt.  :D

What you think is important,or at least interesting.

Through the spiderweb of wrinkles
To the wispy white hair
My watering eye
Sees the man you once were

Haunted by ghosts
Of a future yet to come
You saw it in the shadow
Of things they've done

You mourn for the children
That you never knew
Time rang out the changes
Took them away from you

When it all was over
Those days left behind
An eye for an eye
Left everyone blind

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/an-eye-for-an-eye/s-pnyoq

Love the hiiiii oooooh when that comes in! This song has such a cool vibe. I could hear it in a western movie or in a trailer or something.

LOVE the change up at around 1:26.

YES the guitar solo.

what are you gonna learn? ...LOVE this part. reminds me of The Killers "All These Things That I've Done"

and the music goes out....love it.

Only thing is I hear a few clicks here and there, particularly in that last bit. And I thought it could have ended right at 2:57 at the "da da da da da"

super cool song and very creative!!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
Thanks Micky,you have excellent ears to pick out the clicks. I had to go looking and isolate certain tracks to find out what you meant and yeah,they were all over the song,clumsy editing work on my part.

Genuine thanks for pointing that out,that's how we all learn,though I think my ears have had too many birthdays and decades of abuse to cover all the bases!  :D

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
Hi Skub, the harmonies are fab! Love the arrangement and instrumentation and I too got a feel of a Wild West vibe! Lovely guitar solo with a great tone and feel to it. I can still hear echoes of the great jack Bruce in your vocals.
Great stuff, might be my fav of yours!
Cheers
Jamie

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 10:27:34 PM »
Yeah...i got a bit of a cowboy feel from this too...

really interesting piece...seems to draw on a huge variety of influences and sounded really fresh and unique. the layered vocals are great and must have took quite a bit of doing...worked really well, though!

fascinating...great guitar work too!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 10:05:34 AM »
Hi

Really like the vocal delivery on this - adds an whole new layer of mood to the track.
Lots of nice variations in the music - amazingly crammed into little over 3 mins.
The whole piece flows naturally on its winding journey.
Great playing and production.

Digger