Let Your Heart Be Full

• 23 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 08:27:23 PM »
Thanks, John, for the lovely compliments!

Regarding the vocals--I have made a new recording which, I hope, has the vocals more up front. I also varied the accompaniment somewhat. I did everything in a hurry, as I only had a couple days to figure out my changes and get them done. I'm leaving again tomorrow and I'm not sure when I'll be available next to work with my recording equipment.

I know this is far from polished, but I hope people can figure out my intent.

The revised version is at https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/let-your-heart-be-full-1/s-xobcy. The original version is still in the same place indicated in the original post, in case anyone wants to compare. It's about half a minute shorter now. I didn't leave anything out; I just tightened it up some. I've edited the bridge quite a bit, and I added a little harmony.

This will be the completed version for now, but I still welcome any further ideas for improvements.

Thanks to everyone who listens/listened.

Vicki

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
Yep..finger pickin is hard, my last song took and age to get the Guitar right, so your doing ok..

lyrics are my favorite part of this song... :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »
Vicki,
Neat tune and love the big tremolo.
Good chorus too.
Not too long but I wasn't sure about the middle 8, it didn't have a memorable melody for me, could you out it to a verse? snd maybe do it quietly and then come back in with 1/2 verse?
I also think it could do with a tambourine on the chorus perhaps?
Hope this helps
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Yep..finger pickin is hard, my last song took and age to get the Guitar right, so your doing ok..

lyrics are my favorite part of this song... :) :)
Thanks, Kevin. Eventually I plan to do the guitar over. After I practice some more. It actually went easier this time, but I was short of time and didn't go back to fix the flubs.

Vicki,
Neat tune and love the big tremolo.
Good chorus too.
Not too long but I wasn't sure about the middle 8, it didn't have a memorable melody for me, could you out it to a verse? snd maybe do it quietly and then come back in with 1/2 verse?
I also think it could do with a tambourine on the chorus perhaps?
Hope this helps
Neil
Thanks, Neil. I really like the idea of changing the M8 into a [half] verse. It will be easy to rework that part of the lyric and will fit perfectly with the other half of the verse. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself??

And thank to everyone who listened.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 07:15:22 PM »
Nice work, Vicki. It has a traditional sounding but (as far as I'm aware) original melody, and a fine set of heart felt lyrics (albeit I have to admit they're not my thing, nothing to do with religion, but for some unknown reason religious songs and baby songs just turn me off). Keep at the finger-picking - it's not easy but it's the world's greatest guitar style! I like the way you reverted to strumming to build the song up. It didn't sound like 5 minutes to me - then I noticed it was only 4:18 so I guess I was listening to an edited version.

Overall a big thumbs up from me :-)

Derek
West Country Country Boy

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »
Lovely vocals - really cute song that makes me feel sleepy (in a good way) :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »
Hi,

I'm a little confused by all the versions and revisions - I've reviewed the version you posted 2 days ago.

I've got to be honest and say that this didn't do it for me. You have a great gift for melody but this one fails to soar like some of your others. I think it's hard to pull off a fairly long song when it's a slow tempo and the religious theme makes it hard for me to be objective (I'm an atheist). On the positive side, the vocal and harmonies are nice and the finger picking is apt for the song. I don't like to be negative but I don't think this is your finest effort.

M

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 05:27:29 PM »
Nice work, Vicki. It has a traditional sounding but (as far as I'm aware) original melody, and a fine set of heart felt lyrics (albeit I have to admit they're not my thing, nothing to do with religion, but for some unknown reason religious songs and baby songs just turn me off). Keep at the finger-picking - it's not easy but it's the world's greatest guitar style! I like the way you reverted to strumming to build the song up. It didn't sound like 5 minutes to me - then I noticed it was only 4:18 so I guess I was listening to an edited version.

Overall a big thumbs up from me :-)

Derek
Thanks, Derek! Like other facets of guitar playing (and piano, and singing, and exercising, etc, etc) I've noticed picking gets better if I keep it up consistently. For some reason I am very skeptical and don't really believe practice and consistency help, even when I see the evidence. I don't know why and I will continue to work on overcoming the inertia caused by that skepticism. I do like the sound of good picking.

Lovely vocals - really cute song that makes me feel sleepy (in a good way) :)
Isn't feeling sleepy always in a good way? ;D Thank you for the compliment!

Hi,

I'm a little confused by all the versions and revisions - I've reviewed the version you posted 2 days ago.

I've got to be honest and say that this didn't do it for me. You have a great gift for melody but this one fails to soar like some of your others. I think it's hard to pull off a fairly long song when it's a slow tempo and the religious theme makes it hard for me to be objective (I'm an atheist). On the positive side, the vocal and harmonies are nice and the finger picking is apt for the song. I don't like to be negative but I don't think this is your finest effort.

M
Yeah, I tend to be a chaotic kind of person. I can see that would be confusing. I do appreciate you took the time to review in spite of that, especially considering it really isn't your thing. I have to agree this is probably not my best ever. To be honest, once I've come up with a song that really seems wonderful to me, I don't believe I'll ever be able to think up anything else half so good ever again. I've proven myself wrong a couple times, but I suspect my wonderful melodies are severely finite. And don't worry at all about being negative. I truly relish honesty.

Thanks to everyone who listened! I appreciate it so much!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »
Hey Vicky, you sing this beautifully, superb vibrato.  What I like most of all about it it the contrast between some very positive lyrics ("let your heart be full") over some minor chords that really sound quite melancholic.  Very good that you've done that, otherwise I think there could have been potential for it to feel a bit too happy-clappy and less genuine... as it is, it all felt nuanced, nicely played and weighty.  I didn't feel it was too long.
It's all too beautiful.