konalavadome

Summer - contest entry

• 25 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 21, 2017, 02:21:00 AM »
Well, still tweaking but wanted to get this up on the first day of summer so here it is warts and all. Many thanks to the Lyrical section for their support. I cut my musical teeth on the Four Seasons in the 60's and while I'm no Frankie Valli it was fun to try.  ;D  Any comments/suggestions are welcome and I thank you for listening  ;D

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/summer

Summer
Copyright 2017 Tennyson Road Music

Scholarships are really hard to get
But clever girls are added to the list
So it's no surprise they offered one to you
But did you have to start that school
On the 21st of June?

Summer
My Summer
Summer isn't summer without you

I love to hear you "Parlez-vous Francais"
But Paris seems so very far away
It's a golden opportunity, I know
If they'd only let you choose
A better time to go

Oh Summer
My Summer
The days are warm and long and skies are blue
But Summer
My sweet Summer
Summer isn't summer without you

Summer isn't summer, no
Summer did you have to go?
My sweet summer
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:24:53 AM by Paulski »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »
Yo Paulski.

What a cracker Christmas Summer song.  :D  8)

It's a brand new genre!  ;D

I can't think of anything I'd change. It's a classic.  :)

Loved that Frankie/Beachboys fade out.

Merry Summermas.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 06:08:33 PM »
Excellent Paulski, Dancing in the snow on the beach  :) Love the harmonies that you've got going on here and is that the dirtbag organ again ? That's such a great sound. Touches of the Four Seasons and Beach Boys. Really liked it, such a happy toon  :)

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:28:31 PM »
Another Paulski classic!! I really do dig your style mate. I remember seeing this in the lyrics section and it needed a few tweaks. Reading these lyrics now and I think you've nailed it. The chorus of this really sets the tone of the song and I really loved the Parlez-vous Francais line...one of my favourite moments of the track.

One tiny little nit because I'm a nat but it's that the bells (Is that what they are?) remind me of a Christmas song :P Edit: Seems Skub picked up on this too....and now it has an official genre of Summermas then it's sits fine with me :)

Great tune though mate and great quality recording (as usual from you). Fab stuff!! (Stuck in my head already :P)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:30:33 PM by Darren1664 »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 07:52:10 PM »
Wow, that's a knockout falsetto, something we don't hear much these days (like whistling), great stuff.

Just enough lyrics to tell a story without explaining. Love the way the verse seems to pause on the penultimate line to make us wait for the payoff.

In Australia they celebrate Christmas in June, right? Somehow it all seems to fit...

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:55:04 PM »

PAUL  ;D ;D  Just love it. You always surprise me, and
 the way you carry off these different styles is truley
 amazing. Your passion and enthusiasm for your craft
 comes through in your work....I bldy love this ;D ;D

Not bad for an old Canuck  ;D ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 10:17:05 PM »
Ah, this one's a slice of pure musical joy Paulski.  Everything - the harmonies, the falsetto, the structure, and yes those bells.  Excellent feel good music, nuanced with just enough hint of melancholy in the lyrics to stop it being too saccharine.  Reckon you have seriously good odds in the competition with this little horsey.  Bravo!
It's all too beautiful.

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »

really sounds like a classic in a modern way.

writing, singing, melodies - all top.

If it were my song, i d try to improve on the drums - in terms of mix and some more variation.

I think the drums need more lows and less reverb; maybe cut out some high frequencies on the hats and cymbals and then make them a little louder.

great stuff

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »
Hints of the beach boys in the vocals that grace the intro. I'm sure that The Four Seasons make an appearance too, as the song progresses.  This is really cool, inviting us to take a walk back in time. It's enjoyable to sit back and simply enjoy the experience.   i was thinking that maybe this could be developed further - perhaps another verse or two that would develop the story and captivate the lister further.  Other than that, this paints a beautiful snippet of disappointment experienced by the boy who's love interest disappeared for the summer and perhaps beyond.

Paul

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 12:25:03 AM »
Thanks so much for the comments guys!

@Skub Haha - is it the bells that make it christmassy? Oh well I love bells so I guess I must love christmas too. Thanks for the kind words.

@pompeyjazz - cheers John. Yep that's the dirt bag again - it's a great freebee plugin. That setting is "Monkees" haha Appreciate the nice comments on my singing.

@Darren1664 - Hi Darren - we have a lot of French-speaking Canadians - hope they don't mind  ;D Very kind of you to say that about the lyrics. I think they border on cheezy but it's a fine line with a 60's song isn't it? Thanks for listening and commenting.

@adamfarr Hey Adam - glad you liked the falsetto. We used to do a 4 season's medley in my bar band days that went over well. My range has gone down since then though. Thanks!

@Binladeda Cheers bin - happy you heard something you felt worthwhile :) Missing your sweet guitar groove though. Everything was cheeze and harmonies back then.

@PaulyX cheers Paul - means a lot coming from a man of your talents. I'll be happy if my horse crosses the finish line amongst the amazing songs I've heard.

@TheButcher - thanks for that butcher. Yeah drums are always a challenge for me - I think it's payback for the low opinion I had of drumming way back when. Turns out it's harder than I thought. Some good tips  - I will likely use.

@Wicked Deeds - cheers Paul - always good to get a thumbs up from your good self. Hope the moving goes well - thanks for taking the time to listen!

Thanks again to all who commented - hope I didn't miss anyone  ;D

JHoos

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 01:22:30 PM »
Hi,

The intro with the bells made it sound like an xmas song, noting that the title is summer !  Definitely getting the big 60s sound as you've pointed out, along with touches of the beach boys on the keyboard, vocals and backing vocals.

The drum track sounds maybe a bit too much like a drum machine - I'm assuming it is.  Maybe feeling that some more variations in it would make a big difference, for example, the same drum pattern is used pretty much all the way through the verse and the choruses.  Plus the tom fills sound very 80s.

The guitar is maybe a bit too over processed with chorus or whatever it is.   

Its catchy and fun, and I do like the vocals, and the backing vocals.  I might be wrong, but I feel that track could go somewhere and should be quite liked by anyone liking the beach boys/60s sound. 

Cheers

John

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »
Ha ha!

This is great, Paulski!

I went to see frankie and the four seasons in concert a few years back as I'm a big fan too...they were really excellent.

Anyway, this is a great melody and some brilliant, fun lyrics...the chiming xmas-style bells throw it off-kilter in a really fun way. Falsetto is brilliant too...a great entry!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 11:03:29 AM »
Certainly has a 60s vibe to it, song as well as production. Love the Ohhs in the intro and the bells!
Fab vocals (I expected nothing less of course!)

The organ is a very nice touch but a tad (and just a tad) to upfront.

Hey wait, what was that!?!? Paulski goes falsetto?!?!?  :o :o That was a surprise but in a good way.

This is fab, sort of condensates everything I love about the music from the 60's. I'd say it even has hints of some 50's as well.

Only thing I miss would be a jangly Rickenbacker  ;)

If this one does not end up among the top positions I will...we I don't know what but I'll do something!  ;D

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 11:22:23 AM »
Excellent entry for the summer comp Paul :o  It's  got your classy signature throughout :)
Love the intro bells...I too caught the Xmas vibe, but definitely the 50's/60's vibe took over  :)
Great lyrics and vocals, and I love the BVs  :) really well done :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 03:37:12 AM »
Awesome! I love this! I think this could even be my favorite of your songs. The ones I've heard, anyway. That's based strictly on sound. The lyric is on a typical romance theme but different enough to make it interesting. I think it's clever. Love the bells!

I have no nits.

Vicki