konalavadome

Rocking on the beach - Summer Competition

• 20 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »
Yo Dudes,
Take some well known artists and mix 'em in the blender and you get my attempt at a summer toon.
With apologies to those who got ripped off, and for the BV's that I cant fix till i get back from a trip in a weeks time!

Its a straight forward bit of rocking' fun, nothing cleaver or original but it kinds of floats my simple dumbed down boat, hope you enjoy too and look foward to your comments.
 :)
Neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/rocking-on-the-beach-demo-master-29-may-2019

Rockin’ on the beach

I can smell it in the air
I can sense it in my bones
I can feel those good vibrations
Hear these rocking tones

Bunking off from school
I’m gonna check the internet
Siri says the weathers cool
Gonna catch some sets

Coz I’m rocking on the beach
Riding way up high
Nothing’s out of reach
Under summer skies

Yes I’m rocking on the beach
Cranked up with my band
Bass and drums and guitars
Dancing on the sand

I can smell it in the air
I can sense it in my bones
I can feel those good vibrations
With these rocking tones

Packed up all my gear
In my camper van 
Gotta leave work early
Tell the boss some lies

Coz I’m rocking on the beach
Riding way up high
Nothing’s out of reach
Under summer skies

Yes I’m rocking on the beach
Cranked up with my band
Bass and drums and guitars
Dancing on the sand

c N Connor 2017
songwriter of no repute..

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:28:44 PM »
Great traditional rock guitar. It has an old-style feel with modern lyrics that flow well. It lifts the spirits and generates excitement and anticipation of a beachy good time. Going down as a win for me.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 11:32:32 PM »
Yo Neil.

It's a belter!  8)

Great guitar sound,as ever.

If ya don't wanna do the soft shoe shuffle to this one,well then,ya ain't got no feet.  :D

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 08:11:58 AM »
Love this. Kind of a hybrid of country and surf. Love the vibe here. This summer competition is inspiring some great work.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »

Hi neil,

Classic stuff mate ;D A style that seems to come easy to you.

Lovely arrangement....as usual. Loved the gtr, especially toward
 the end. The vocal was one of the best I've heard of yours. Relaxed,
 confident. Sounded like you were having a lot of fun with this. Really
 liked the asides/ad libs, and all the backing stuff......

Just a great song. Right up my street ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »
A classic rock'n surf track Neil 8) I agree...great vocals on this one, and once you've polished the BV's
this track will be spot on  :) Excellent production and guitars :o Awesome summer comp. entry  :)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 11:31:27 AM »
I dont know about Dick Dale, it sounded more like Chuck Berry doing Eltons 'Saturday Nights Alright for Sunbathing'  :)
I heard the Beach Boys making a cameo appearance but mainly it sounded realy pub rocky like it was coming from the beach front boozer
Do you live by the seaside, you lucky thing, or have you just invented that for the song?
Anyway I hope you will pick up all those plectrums & drumsticks or John will be chasing you for fly tipping!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »
Hey Neil,

You've taken the subject direct with this very upbeat , rockin tune.

Gives off a very much "wish that were me" vibe that makes you want to get up and make the most of it! - both lyrically and supported perfectly musically.

Super catchy chorus and I've written down here "2:00 - yeaaaah" so something there I found awesome, assume a cool breakdown  ;D ;D

One to blast at the beach!

All the best,
Scott

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
Yo Neil - there's a reason these old school rock and roll sounds are timeless and it's because they just work so darn well.  You've nailed it here, I can imagine you duck-walking round the studio while recording this.  Some great BVs too (a little bit of 'Back in the USSR' crept in with the ooh-ooh-ooh-oohs I thought). Really killer guitar playing.
It's all too beautiful.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »
Jenna, "Great traditional rock guitar. It has an old-style feel with modern lyrics that flow well" thanks for that feedback

skub, delighted that said toes were tapping :-)

mickyplankton, cheers although can really hear the country/surf element

Binladeda, thanks the feel came together pretty easily in my mind, mix a bit of Chuck, Beach Boys and Ramones

crystalsuzy, 'classic rock'n surf track' thanks a lot

tina m, 'pub rock' - its just in my DNA, afraid I'm not in spitting distance of the sea

ScottLevi, thanks, blasting on the beach, I had the image in my mind of said party, I'm having a whale of a time - yeeehaa

PaulyX, thanks - you can't beat a bit of duck walking. I did that once in France and unplugged the cable and looked a right idiot carrying on with silent double-stops!!
songwriter of no repute..

Kristupas

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:49:47 AM »
Nice, Beach boys vibe :)
But you made it heavier with the distorted guitar, which added a different, unique vibe to it,
that's an interesting choice -  and it perfectly suits the song idea(rocking on the beach).

Love the backing vocal choice :)

The bridge sounded very old-school traditional rock'n'roll, and it works on this track.

Nice beach song :)

Kris

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 10:31:47 PM »
Great stuff Neil. Rock n Roll man  :) Nothing wrong going back to the beginnings. Had to whack this right up. Love the guitars and harmonies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 03:24:59 AM »
I like the rhythm, the style, the mood. I like the throwback to the late sixties/late seventies surfer-type of music. One of my favorite eras. Maybe my most favorite, even. And it's mixed with current culture, demonstrated by checking with Siri about the weather. Nice.

My nits have to do primarily with rhyme scheme, so not high on the list of priorities, probably, for many people. I'm more OCD than most, perhaps, about things like that. I would try to make it more consistent all the way through. Since it starts with an XAXA scheme, I would try to stay with that.

Other than that, I think this is great!

Vicki

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 08:36:45 PM »
Took me a moment to get toned in but once there couldn't help but be carried along....love the set back lead guitar...and the Chuck Berry bits of course.

Maybe nothing original but who cares about that....good music is all that counts. Great rockin' tune.

Yes...those bvs must have been tricky! Sitting lead vocal is hard enough for me!

Real energy rocker here Neil. Guitars up to your usual standard and a hugely listenable song.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 10:51:23 PM »
Good honest rock n roll.

Sounds like Chuck and the beach boys duelling it out.

The only think I might add is more layered/stacked harmonies, ala beach boys.

What more can I say.

Yodasdad