Redneck Pension - a Yodasdad and Jenna collaboration

• 42 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 03:59:19 PM »
Melodic, entertaining, and definitely a different take on today's life and times. It might be a stretch for everyone to take the time to "get" the concept and so the middle 8 part could be quite important context.

I guess it's not universal (I have no idea what crappies are!) but I also guess it's not supposed to be. Anyhow, great job by Yodasdad with finding a melody to complement the lyrics.

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 07:26:16 PM »
Thanks to all who have taken the time to listen, comment and read this far. It turns out we didn't make the final selections for Alan Jackson, so that gives us time to work on the weaknesses and make it a more competitive song for the next opportunity.

Possible reasons given were:

1. It wasn't right for the artist - I thought he would be a great choice for this one.
2. It was good but didn't beat what they already had. The song may need lyrical or musical improvement.
    It is possible the guest didn't like the mention of illegal activities - which again points to the bridge
    section. I'll look more closely at the format and work on making it more commercial.
3. Demo/recording not competitive. - So far so good except we don't have the drawl.
4. The guest didn't like/connect with it. - Then we need to try another guest/artist/opportunity or sell it ourselves if all of the guests are out-of-touch with the lives of their Joe-six-pack listeners. That possibility does exist and could be why so many people can't connect with today's pop music.

In the meantime, it's garnered a lot of positive feedback in several settings, and I think it's something that could be sold as is if we choose to go that route. I do wonder if for Nashville artists they want to hear a demo with the southern drawl. It is a current fad in country music for the singer to emphasize a Southern accent, but that's not always been the case.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »
I guess it's not universal (I have no idea what crappies are!)
Crappies (pronounced craw'-peez) are delicious! They are fish.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »
Late to the party but nevertheless...

Nice production and nice vocals.
Correction, both are fab!
And the song is not half bad either.
Aha, some nice guitars in the second verse.
Guess I could go on and on but there is so much to like here and I can honestly not come up with anything to critizie.
Respect!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 08:44:55 PM »
OK, fish, not crabs!
Thanks!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 10:22:14 PM »
Very cool guys. I love the lyrics and nice playing as always by Yodas pops. It's a great song!!

However...

Regarding the singing, I'm just gonna be honest and say that I don't think u need the processing that you put on your vocals here mate (I'm talking about the pitching tools u use) obviously reverb,EQ and compression are fine, but on THIS track the auto tune gives the vocal an ever so slight wavey/unnatural sound. Which I don't think is ideal for this genre. (It may not be auto tune, but when I've tried to use it in the past my vocals sounded similar.)

Listen it's by no means a deal breaker, the melody is awesome. It sounds fine enough, but you are a very gifted producer and so I'm holding you to a higher standard mate! Sorry, but it's your own fault! ;D  My rather rambling point is that I reckon you could sing this ten times and comp together a wonderful natural take without the wizardry.

I hope u take that in the spirit that it's intended mate. I hope u know I don't mean any offence.

The only other thing I picked up on that might just be my ears, is in the FIRST chorus, I think one of the jangly guitars is slightly off time...like I said I can't be sure, but something is making it sound just a little too busy, if u get my meaning.

Anyway I hope this is of some use to you going forward guys.

Best of luck with it!
Leo  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 10:52:37 PM »
Great collaboration guys. Fresh and modern. Sounds more like UK population than anything across the Atlantic to me. A lovely song which should be at the top of the charts east and west Atlantic  :)

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 03:52:23 AM »
Jambrains, Leo, Jazz, thank you so much for your comments, both compliments, and criticisms. It shows me that I need to go back and listen to the parts that make up the whole rather than just enjoying the whole. I can critically analyze written material (most often the fact-based kind) to where I can poke holes in most arguments or claims put forward by any authors intending to deceive or mislead the reader, but when it comes to critically analyzing music I'm not nearly as skilled. In time . . . But until that day comes, it's nice to hear how others perceive the bits and pieces that make up the whole.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 03:11:21 AM »
Not my usual style, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. I don't have any suggestions; I like it as is.  ;D

Vicki

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2017, 08:46:21 PM »
Not my usual style, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. I don't have any suggestions; I like it as is.  ;D

Vicki

Happy to hear, Vicki! <3 Thank you!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 05:50:16 AM »
Excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed this. Great lyrics, playing, singing, and really nicely presented. Reminds me why I keep coming back to this site.

On my commute I generally give the radio a chance for 15 minutes or so before giving up in disgust and popping in a CD. If songs like this were on the wireless I wouldn't need my CDs.

Derek
West Country Country Boy

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 08:55:48 AM »
This is very well done...the lyrics are really great and Michael has done a fantastic job with the music too...i'm guessing that it fits very neatly into the modern country-style thing that i must immediately confess to having virtually no idea about, but there seems to be a recurring slightly self-deprecating gentle humour about the genre these days that's quite appealing and certainly gives songs like this an extra dimension.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2017, 07:29:06 PM »
Hey

So first thing that struck me with this track is Yodasdad's vocal. After listening to quite a few tracks here now some peoples voices are becoming so familiar and I almost burst with excitement when I hear them!! :p

The lyrics are simple but very well constructed and light and humorous. The track is nice and upbeat with great vocals and guitars and I love the drop into the chorus. Great tune both. Well done :)

Darren